BV3 Pictures ?

JG53_Jaguar

Reaction score
Country
llSlovakia
Can anyone take some pictures of BV3 maps and counters with their digital camera and post them ? I'm still waiting for my BV3 copies that I pre-ordered...a few pictures would make me happy till then :)

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
BV3 maps

Hi,

Just received my copy of Beyond Valor in the post today (UK) and generally very impressed. I've posted a couple of images just to show what the maps look like.

Hope these are of help in pushing any fence sitters over the edge :)

here

I'll try and post a few more when I get chance but this is a busy week.

It's a shame the few rows of blank counters on some of the sheets couldn't have been used for something. Seems such a waste.

EDIT: although looking at the boards side by side I think the new board loses something by not having the pathways betwen buildings shown. Gives it a bit more of an aerial photo effect.

Cheers

Andy

Last edited:

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is interesting that the comparison shows that the new board one has decreased the sizes of many of the buildings, potentially opening up many lines of sight.

Duncan

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Andy McMaster said:
It's a shame the few rows of blank counters on some of the sheets couldn't have been used for something. Seems such a waste.
Andy
Blank counters are good for marking things like victory locations, hex control, etc...

No charge on my credit card yet. But I ordered quite late. I've asked them to include a copy of Paratroopers. I am loving getting back into the game and have decided that I would like to replace/duplicate much of my 20 year old gear. I'll be haunting VASL for some ASLSK games. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Pitman said:
It is interesting that the comparison shows that the new board one has decreased the sizes of many of the buildings, potentially opening up many lines of sight.
Hadn't really looked that close yet but see your point. Might just have to play some of those old Bd 1 scenarios just to see if it make any difference.

Also noticed a few of the wood hexes don't fill the hex as much maybe opening up a few vehicle bypass options as well. Same I suppose with buildings e.g. N3, O4.

Andy

jasperdog3329

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Pitman said:
Yes, there are quite a few significant differences evident on that board 1 side by side comparison. So now what? Do the new SK-style boards become the VASL standard as they are released? In face to face play I guess players just need to agree on which version of the boards to be used.

One really nice feature of the SK-style boards over the old mounted boards is that there is no map-less border area around the edge. I also have one mounted board (46 IIRC) where the road along the center crease nearly disappears -- the ASL equivalent of a goat path -- due to a poor fold. Note to self: need a house rule for that road vis a vis large armored vehicle use. :)

Hugh Downing

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While the new board appears to be crisp and sharp, I will just have to say that the old boards have more character.

The new crisp looking boards are just too new and crisp looking…

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really enjoyed seeing some new life breathed into them via the updated artwork. And since I'm not one who has every LOS memorized I shall not worry about that part :laugh:

Last edited:

jasperdog3329

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hugh Downing said:
While the new board appears to be crisp and sharp, I will just have to say that the old boards have more character.

The new crisp looking boards are just too new and crisp looking…
Just take them outside and rub some dirt on them. :laugh:

JG53_Jaguar

Reaction score
Country
llSlovakia
Andy McMaster said:
Hi,

Just received my copy of Beyond Valor in the post today (UK) and generally very impressed. I've posted a couple of images just to show what the maps look like.

Hope these are of help in pushing any fence sitters over the edge :)

here

I'll try and post a few more when I get chance but this is a busy week.

EDIT: although looking at the boards side by side I think the new board loses something by not having the pathways betwen buildings shown. Gives it a bit more of an aerial photo effect.

Cheers

Andy
Thank You for the pictures :) I can't wait to get my copies...

AGKurland

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Wow

I can't wait to get my copy. I like the new graphics. I'm sure this is a well chewed subject, but it looks like we're in for LOS changes with the new graphics. I wonder if we may have some balancing issues come up as a result.

Last edited:

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I feel comfortable in suggesting that there will be no balance issues.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
"I wonder if we may have some balancing issues come up as a result."

OK I am a little confused, how would LOS lead to balance issues (in BV3's scenarios)?

Thanks!

Peace

Roger

jasperdog3329

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
rdw5150 said:
"I wonder if we may have some balancing issues come up as a result."

OK I am a little confused, how would LOS lead to balance issues (in BV3's scenarios)?

Thanks!

Peace

Roger
If a key LOS is now open or blocked, particularly from the typical at-start or end-game positions. I agree with Pitman that the chances of this are very low but there is always the possibility, particularly I would think on an urban board.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
rdw5150 said:
Isn't tactical skill about adapting to a given situation?
I would be very astonished if slight LOS variance would wreck a scenario's balance. It should be at a crucial place and would need to be "the" essential balancing factor in a given scenario...

With the previous (re)printed boards, there were some variant alignements between different series. I never heard it had an impact upon scenarios' balance.

danstudentvcc

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hello
Those are nice pics, and thank you/
Can't wait till I have saved up the moola for a copy/
Mmmm guess it will be hamburger and rice all next month!!

Dvcc

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
danstudentvcc said:
Hello
Those are nice pics, and thank you/
Can't wait till I have saved up the moola for a copy/
Mmmm guess it will be hamburger and rice all next month!!

Dvcc
Gus,
Red beans and rice is more healthier and cheaper. So it will help you save money faster to support your "ASL crack habit".....:nuts: :eek: :dead:

MLong

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I must admit the new boards look good - I like crisp and fresh. In the past, I systematically spent time and money to complete my mounted board set and now I'm not so sure that was the best idea.

When my son got SK#1, I really liked the crisp lines - I found it made those marginal LOS checks a lot more clear. The colour consistency and vibrancy is a bonus. Ditto for the new counter artwork!

So far, I think MMP has a winner with the new stuff - it may tempt me to spring for a new set of modules. What a sucker...

skye88

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Pitman said:
A couple of whole buildings are not even in the same position anymore.
For example; those in the lower-right corner are not alligned in an other direction?!

Hmm....