Butchering the offboard setup rules of ASL

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
There are NO rules for offboard setup in SK.
a) Reinforcements: ATTACKER rolls for any provisional (SSR) reinforcements and sets up offboard all forces due to enter this Player Turn.

That isn't a rule, that's an action.
7 references to SETUP and 3 to sets up.
How did this fall through?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are NO rules for offboard setup in SK.
a) Reinforcements: ATTACKER rolls for any provisional (SSR) reinforcements and sets up offboard all forces due to enter this Player Turn.

That isn't a rule, that's an action.
7 references to SETUP and 3 to sets up.
How did this fall through?
Doesn't seem to have hurt the game. :rolleyes::unsure:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
While not as detailed as the ASL rule, SK rule 3.3 (1st paragraph) does say:

"Units enter from offboard—either at the start of a scenario or as reinforcements—as directed by the scenario card, including turn and location of entry. Units are set up offboard along the specified edge(s) of the map at the start of their RPh in the Player Turn of entry. They may not perform any action while offboard except move during the MPh per normal Open Ground movement costs. They must enter during the MPh or APh of their turn of entry or be eliminated. Roads are considered to extend offboard for purposes of road bonus...."

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
So they cant setup "deep" offboard as that concept isn't described.
just ADJACENT to board edges.

AH the setting up offboard at the start of the RPh, is in the MPH portion of the rules....smh.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
We all know the SK rules are as well organized as the ASL rules...nothing new there...at least now there's a PDF version that allows easy searching......if there's a problem MMP is only an email away... :)

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Klas, is correct. For all the criticisms of the SKRB (real or imagined) rule 3.3 clearly explains the set up procedure for oncoming units. No confusion there, IMHO.

However, I'm glad I'm not the only one who wishes the SK entry rule could have permitted an in-depth set up that would allow units to enter the same hex in single file- useful when wanting to gain road bonus, or to take advantage of limited entry hexes that offer cover and/or are not in enemy LOS.

I assume, that like many other examples, such a provision was deemed too complicated to include in SK. So, I just adjust my tactics accordingly and game on.

Last edited:

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Personally I see no issue with placing reinforcements "in depth" ala ASL in SK either - just play it that way.
Neither do I, but who would consider that if a new player?
They wouldn't that's the point. The rules don't even suggest that.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't complicate matters to include depth.
Just trying to explain things when they aren't there...

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Once again, if one thinks there's an issue with the rules -> send an email to MMP.
THere is an issue and it's been around for 15 years.
I just tell my SK guys to do whatever they want.
STACK all 4 AFV in one hex and bring them on...Overstacking only mentions ONBOARD hexes

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Again - "if one thinks there's an issue with the rules -> send an email to MMP." - you apparently think it's an issue and has been for 15 years, so why don't contact MMP about it then?
ok smartypants! 😠

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Again - "if one thinks there's an issue with the rules -> send an email to MMP." - you apparently think it's an issue and has been for 15 years, so why don't contact MMP about it then?
No one else thinks there is an issue?

There are issues with the rules. Tell me the process and likelihood of getting them clarified and I might...

Not sure why I'm the one that has to post the questions once I reveal the issue to the community.
Why the hell post the question here then in the first place?

If I come up to you and say your house is on fire, are you going to wait until I call Emergency simply because I noticed it first, or maybe involve oneself in the solution. As I'm not 2ft. from Perry's ear, suggestions from someone like me, can often fall on deaf ears.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I assume, that like many other examples, such a provision was deemed too complicated to include in SK. So, I just adjust my tactics accordingly and game on.
While that may be true, then SK shouldn't have 80% of its scenarios have units come from offboard.
They kinda missed the mark here.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I wouldn't know - I've not taken a poll on it...

There are issues with the rules. Tell me the process and likelihood of getting them clarified and I might...
Process = send an email to MMP Q&A email address. Likelihood of the rules getting changed down the line = I don't know.

Some Q&A lead/has-led to errata, most don't as they don't require it.

Not sure why I'm the one that has to post the questions once I reveal the issue to the community.
You don't have to be the one - but if you are interested in getting a clarification/errata/fix for it, you might consider doing it. If you are not that interested in that, then don't send MMP an email....it's really not that complicated....

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While that may be true, then SK shouldn't have 80% of its scenarios have units come from offboard.
They kinda missed the mark here.
As previously pointed out, the SKRB does address the procedure (Rule 3.3) for oncoming units. That it does not include the more elaborate full ASL provisions may simply be another example of the many instances of the SK rules being intentionally simplified. They are called "Starter Kits" for a reason. As Klas has pointed out, it seems to me you have three options:
  1. Play the rule as written.
  2. Contact MMP to see if they forgot to include those provisions.
  3. Just apply the full ASL rule yourself and game on.
I decided to go with option 3 myself. No big deal, IMHO.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

Why the hell post the question here then in the first place?

If I come up to you and say your house is on fire, are you going to wait until I call Emergency simply because I noticed it first, or maybe involve oneself in the solution. As I'm not 2ft. from Perry's ear, suggestions from someone like me, can often fall on deaf ears.
Personally I think the issue is trivial and that you should spend more time enjoying the game. Have you ever considered offering to playtest the rules? You would probably be very good at it as you seem to have a penchant for uncovering issues others have missed.

Last edited: