Busting in Balta discusssion

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Almost finished this one. I am Axis, took the bash them in the head approach, north and south. Am looking for prisoners. I serious-silly ....haha......looked at the south bash......north .....skirt around the ...hmmm,,,left side and grab the gravy in the back. Mr Sisler ....which is the right choice????????

I really hate this scenario.....way too hard....:)

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
I like this scenario and had the upper hand as the Russians when we had to quit it. Certainly different that the original "Balta."

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Set to start this today vs Ken Dunn, for our VASL League game. I have the Germans. It is an interesting puzzle for both sides. I am glad I included this one in the Nor'Easter scenario list.

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just finished this. Won as the Russians. Several keys to Russian play

Pick an area of buildings, and defend that with all of your force. Do the math. Know what you need to hold to win, and hold only that.
Concede the rest.
Use the Foxholes for rout path planning
You cannot allow your force to be taken prisoner
Plan your fire fields, goal is to fire every weapon, every fire phase
Know the German only has 6 turns, thats not a lot of time.
Start your mortars and HMG dm .. run them to the fight, don't leave them back
Don't bring your tanks across the river, unless they are safe, they are CVP opportunity otherwise, and thats all
Use 2 Commisars, and as I said, plan your routs
Self break to avoid being taken prisoner
Normally a good tactic, but even more so in this scenario, shoot at broken units looking for CVP

With the Russians packing it into one area and playing it safe, what looks like a really cool scenario on the card, ends up being not quite that.
This could get into a fight for the town all over the map, but as the Russians, don't let it come to that. Hide, skulk, keep all your squads safe.
I liked the original Balta scenario a lot better.
Glad I played it, but wont' again.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Start your mortars and HMG dm .. run them to the fight, don't leave them back
The Soviet HMG may not dm, as is marked on the back of the counter. The .50 calibers may, but are not present in this scenario.

JR

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes , I agree, thanks for pointing that out, I dm'd the Mtrs and moved them and the hmg (5pp) away from the footbridge with the help of the leader.
I was trying to point out to players to move those weapons into the building VC area where they will be more useful.
Especially the mortars. You can set them up , at start dm, and immediately move them, they don't have to manhandled.

rottenroller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One thing to consider for the Russians is foxhole placement. Russian units in suitable terrain may setup in Foxholes.
The mortars, when you assemble them will not be emplaced. With a little preplanning you can start a Russian unit
in a hex where you want a mortar and setup the unit in a foxhole. The starting unit leaves the Foxhole and you get
the mortar and crew in there and assemble the mortar. +2TEM same as emplacement.

Only thought of this after I finished the scenario as the Russians.

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I must be missing something with the set up or maybe there is errata? What use is the footbridge? Or is it just nice window dressing for the history? Which is fine. It is nice to have the river board and such for aesthetics but I don't see how that area really effects the scenario.

It looks cool but I keep going over the setup , scenario card, and board layout thinking that I must be missing something.

Seth

Last edited:

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I asked Brett about the footbridge at ASLOK a couple years ago (my buddy and I could not figure why it was there). An earlier version of the scenario had a circumstance when it could come into play (I do not remember off the top of my head what, maybe exit or counter attack) . As the scenario aged, that circumstance was removed and the footbridge was not.

So, no, you're not going nuts.

Peace

Roger

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I asked Brett about the footbridge at ASLOK a couple years ago (my buddy and I could not figure why it was there). An earlier version of the scenario had a circumstance when it could come into play (I do not remember off the top of my head what, maybe exit or counter attack) . As the scenario aged, that circumstance was removed and the footbridge was not.

So, no, you're not going nuts.

Peace

Roger
Thanks. I might still be going nuts though. ;)

I might have to run a unit back and forth just so I can say that I used a footbridge. Just to make sure I can check that off the ASL bucket list. I think I played one before but I am not certain. :)

In any case board 7 looks cool as the edge of the battlefield.

Seth

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Seth.......

Step away from the keyboard and the table.

You're over thinking it,

There is not purpose of the footbridge,,,,,,,

none.

SMLE

Peace

Roger

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
Seth.......

Step away from the keyboard and the table.

You're over thinking it,

There is not purpose of the footbridge,,,,,,,

none.

SMLE

Peace

Roger

But it's there so someone might as well use it. Think of the effort that went into making it. Some poor slob had to design it and another to build it. It would be a waste of time if no one used it! ?

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
But it's there so someone might as well use it. Think of the effort that went into making it. Some poor slob had to design it and another to build it. It would be a waste of time if no one used it! ?
It would be super cool is someone found a way to use it even if it were not the best play...... maybe some sort of rout path.??

Take it from me, I get what you are saying. My buddy and I talked about it at length after the scenario. Finally when I could not take it any longer and I asked Brett as I knew he had playtested it.