"Bushmasters" question

John O'Reilly

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Hello all,

I am returning to ASL after quite some time and was flicking through my scenarios recently. Something about "Bushmasters" really appeals to me but I have seen many references that this scenario is hideously unbalanced. Does anyone care to enlighten me and describe why it is so?

Thanks

Oliver

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
unbalanced but fun

John,

Something about this one just screams, "Play me," doesn't it?

Regarding balance, my quick answer is that the Japanese can play for time, throwing all kinds of bodies in front of and at the Americans to slow them down. The Japanese can also set up a pillbox deep in their rear, on the other side of the stream, as I recall.

Nevertheless, this is one of the most fun scenarios, and I think many players have said so. It's worth playing for pure ASL enjoyment, even if just for the mass banzais. Perhaps a more experienced player can take the Americans.

I hope this helps.

~Oliver

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This scenario is a blast to play. You have to play it, screw the balance. :wink:

The Japanese are the favored side. The US can win, but they have to "manage" the Japanese Banzai charge. For example, the US player knows about the Banzai - he can move down the edge of the Jungle to limit the position ths Banzai must come from - and he can setup crossing firelanes to cover that approach. Its difficult, but Robert Wolkey of Spokane (and a very good player) has advocated this approach for the US.

In any event, play the thing. Its a blast.

Sam

mglouie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes it does favor the Japs, but it is one of the best scenarios in the system. The hard part for the US is the Hex control part of the VC, that is 'if' the Japs set up Pillboxes in those hexes (the smart thing to do). In order to control the hex you have to control the pillbox which means you have to enter it.

If you want to play a more balanced version of this scenario, just allow the US to control a hex with a pillbox if no Japs are present in the pillbox. Also, I suggest reducing the VP needed to cross the stream by 5.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I must apologize in advance, but I could not resist adding a reply to this post. Its from the first page of posts on this forum (page 214!!!) and the date it was posted is 30th Jan. 2003.

Check it out! :)