"Bushmasters" question

Capt Harlock

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hello all,

I am returning to ASL after a few months of training and was flicking through my scenarios recently. Something about "Bushmasters" really appeals to me but I have seen many references that this scenario is hideously unbalanced. Does anyone care to enlighten me and describe why it is so?

Thanks

Mitch

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Can't remember for certain. I think that a savvy US player can trigger the banzai charge when his units are in the perfect position to maximise firepower on them.

That's my dim memory of an ASLML discussion, anyway.

BTW, what part of the UK?

JOS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

Actually, the US has the harder go of it in this one, primarily because two parts of the US VC are essentially at opposite corners of the two boards on which most of the action occurs. While Chris is right that '... US player can trigger the banzai charge ... maximise firepower on them' (and indeed, the US *must* do this), the banzai charge is a very entertaining sidelight but not the main focus of this scenario. The gist of the scenario is a Japanese fighting withdrawal, in which the success of the banzai is measured by how much it puts the US off their timetable. However, the US have a lot of assets, and the Japanese can hardly sleep-walk their way to victory. The bottom line with this one: it is a blast to play and classic PTO action - don't worry about the balance issues and enjoy yourself.

Enjoy, Joshua

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
I have played this scenario three times, twice as the U.S. and once as the Japs. The U.S. player has to use every trick in the book to win this one -- sloppy will result in defeat. You want to pick the spot to trigger the Banzai attack. With the change in the RB v.2 to the Banzai rules the Jap player is a little more restriced on the Banzai than under v.1.

The biggest problem that you face is driving a tank over the wooden bridge. A bad collapse roll can ruin your day.

Overall I would give the edge to the Jap player (Japs excel on defense). I would rate it 60/40 pro-Jap unless the U.S. player is very experienced -- then I would rate it 55/45 pro-Jap.

However, all that said, it is probably once of the most entertaining scenarios to play if you have the time. I think you are looking at a 6-8 hour game face-to-face, depending on the speed of the two players.

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
WaterRabbit said:
However, all that said, it is probably once of the most entertaining scenarios to play if you have the time. I think you are looking at a 6-8 hour game face-to-face, depending on the speed of the two players.
That's good enough for me. Sounds well worth trying.

Capt Harlock

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi,

Bushmasters seems like a tempest in a teacup for the Japanese. A real conundrum by no small means. But my opponent and I will give it a try and see how it fares this weekend.
Mr. Milne, I am located at Lympstone, Devon but my gaming time is very limited unfortunately due to other commitments. BTW, are there any UK ASL forums?
Mitch

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Japanese HIP

A hip HS can sneak back into the hut overlay area and break the US control of that objective. There are too many places for that hip HS to hide.

That was one issue with the scenario that I remember.

However, you might as well play it and have fun. It is a fun scenario.

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
So long that I got it all round the wrong way! Sorry.

Devon, eh? Long way from my neck of the woods, unfortunately. I don't know of any forums dedicated to the UK ASL scene; most UK ASLers have little or no online presence that I know of.