Burma (OCS), and other TG's pre-orders

Cherper

Legend in my own mind
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Even with 2 more, I wouldn't expect to see Burma before 4th quarter or later.

ChrisBuehler

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Even with 2 more, I wouldn't expect to see Burma before 4th quarter or later.
Burma made it! Given that Gamers Games are ready to go to the printer when they're added to the P# list, I expect Burma by the end of the year.

Chris

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Barren Victory 2 on P#...

...though, I'm not sure if it excites me all that much. It'd be nice to get a revised version of BV but the price tag ($82.50 pre-order, $110 retail) is a shock. Coupled with Brian Youse's comments about not being overly interested in ACW/Nappy games (and, I believe, a comment that BV2 was going to be his barometer on future CWB titles), I'm concerned about the future of this fine series.

Also, the somewhat cavalier attitude of one Adam Starkweather (whether it's just an online anomoly or no), towards longtime players is equally distressing-not to mention the quip of a "...beginning of a 'wonderful relationship' with The Gamers..." given that attitude.

I don't mind additional maneuver room-wargaming, after all, is in large part all about the "what-ifs?"-but the seeming lack of concern over the space that four maps will take up-or of the hesitancy of many to consider purchasing such a space hog-is unsettling.

Sheesh, for $80 pre-order, I'd have expected a revised, if traditional, set of CWB counters as well (leaving out the system counters, which I have a surfeit of anyway) to be included as a sop to the craven CWB'er, if for no other reason than to give them an impetus to buy it whether the game includes a totally different system in the box or not.

I fear that this 'Deluxe" redux may be the death knell of future CWB games, though I fervently hope this is not the case. Especially as I instinctively purchase all CWB/CWR games in duplicate, this one has me firmly...on the fence...

Cherper

Legend in my own mind
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fezz,
I am with you on this. I have most of the CWB titles, and I just couldn't push the button on BV2 (bought a bunch of other stuff though). I hope that you are wrong as this being the death knell, but after reading Adam's snarky comments on CSW, it doesn't bode well.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fezz,
I am with you on this. I have most of the CWB titles, and I just couldn't push the button on BV2 (bought a bunch of other stuff though). I hope that you are wrong as this being the death knell, but after reading Adam's snarky comments on CSW, it doesn't bode well.
What gets me is the nearly total lack of outreach to CWBers! I mean, it's being marketed as a CWB game, yet players of the game-many long time players-are told our concerns about compatibility of game pieces (5/8" counters after 15 games of 1/2", etc), playing space and cost should wait until we have the ($80!) game in our hands!? Or, better yet, "if you don't like, don't buy"???

I think someone at MMP needs to clamp down on how the principles of the game publicly represent-however tangentially-their company, or at least, their companies' products. We gamers are a valuable resource, too.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will not be pushing the button either. Adam is already talking about re-doing TaTC and saying that newcomers to CWB should wait for BVII as it is "catered" to CWB beginners.

I was looking forward to Cold Harbor to add to my Strike Them a Blow maps for a another CWB monster campaign. I saw Fredericksburg being playtested at monstercon and was looking forward to that also.

Keith
Redoing TatC? After the 2nd edition and THG, what area of Gettysburg does The Gamers line need to explore? I mean, why not Bloody Roads South or Perryville, games that are OoP and could benefit from a new edition?
Or, heck, how about trying something that hasn't been done like Bentonville, Pea Ridge or Wilson's Creek? Does the CWB really need to go back to go forward?

I also am looking at the "geared to beginners" comments with a leery eye; weren't these new rules supposed to be "comprehensive" viz standard CWB? How does one cater to the beginner while at the same time adding more to a system that isn't even broke?

And, if these rules aren't even finalised yet (per a Starkweather pronunciatio recently), or, worse yet, a mere porting of another system (per a quote somewhere on CSW), should we expect the blizzard of erratum along the lines of RSR, errata that you'd expect the playtest to uncover?

I'm thinking I may buy the game just to YouTube my fat, naked @ss dancing around my bonfire of the vanity...

n3ddy

Reaction score
Country
llSouth Africa
Dean Essig posted this on CSW on April 17, 2008 in reply to my question about progress on the reprint of Burma :

"Burma—Signed off the map and rules proofs last weekend, went on their way to the printer Monday."

:thumup: