Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I am playtesting a scenario whose VC state "by Controlling 6 or more building hexes ADJACENT to the following hexes; XX21, XX22 and YY22". The building hexes mentioned are not stand-alone building hexes; they are part of different multi-hex buildings of which some are rowhouses.

I want to confirm that I understand correctly how to control those aforementioned building hexes.

Since there is no mention of building control, the rest of the parts of any buildings do not matter; only the parts in those ADJACENT hexes.

A26.13 states "a Good Order Infantry MMC at ground level can gain Control of the hex it occupies". If my unit moves into the ground level of those ADJACENT hexes that has multiple building locations (and no enemy in the hex), I believe it controls the building hex.

I believe if my unit moves into the ground level and there are enemy units in the upper levels, then my unit does not control the building hex.

Am I correct?

Thanks.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
There are three types of control: building, hex and location. They are typically mutually exclusive, that is when hex control is part of the VC, building and location control are not. In this case the VC are about hex control, and those hexes just happen to contain buildings. The fact that those hexes contain buildings do not cause building control to come into play. The VC are about hex control.

JR

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What JRV said, those VC are about hex control... that the hexes are buildings or part of buildings probably isn't relevant... but what about mopping up? If the building hexes in question are subjected to mopping up (which controls "all locations") in the hex.. is that hex considered controlled as welL... or is there a difference between controlling all locations in building, and hex control? To put it more succinctly does mopping up grant 'hex control' of the building hexes to which it applies?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
What JRV said, those VC are about hex control... that the hexes are buildings or part of buildings probably isn't relevant... but what about mopping up? If the building hexes in question are subjected to mopping up (which controls "all locations") in the hex.. is that hex considered controlled as welL... or is there a difference between controlling all locations in building, and hex control? To put it more succinctly does mopping up grant 'hex control' of the building hexes to which it applies?
Per A12.153 mopping up gives control of the building and all its locations, but not of its hexes.

JR

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Per A12.153 mopping up gives control of the building and all its locations, but not of its hexes.

JR
But A26.11 says,
After successfully securing a building by Mopping Up (12.153), a player gains Control of the building and all its hexes and Locations [EXC: any Location/hex containing an armed enemy vehicle (including armed PRC) in bypass].
[empahsis mine]

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also, A26.13

26.13 HEX CONTROL: Only a Good Order Infantry MMC at ground level can gain Control of the hex it occupies [EXC: Mopping Up (12.153); Bridge hex (B6.); a vehicle Controlling the only Location within the hex (26.12)].

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It wouldnt be ASL if the victory conditions weren't a little opaque.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Per A26.11 one gains Control of the hexes as well when Mopping Up:
"After successfully securing a building by Mopping Up (12.153), a player gains Control of the building and all its hexes and Locations [EXC: any Location/hex containing an armed enemy vehicle (including armed PRC) in bypass]."

Guess A12.153 really should have said "hexes" as well.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guess A12.153 really should have said "hexes" as well.
Actually, I'd take out the reference to control in A12.153 altogether and replace it with (also see Building/Hex/Location control rules, A26.1ff). Then, when it gets changed, you only have to change it one place.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I've added a note under A12.153 in my ASLRB. Someday someone will founder on that bit of arcanum. I hope it isn't me again.

JR
It is somehow comforting that even the divine Caesar who wants his legions back founders on a bit of arcanum and thus ventures into the spheres of mere mortals now and then.

von Marwitz

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've added a note under A12.153 in my ASLRB. Someday someone will founder on that bit of arcanum. I hope it isn't me again.

JR
Don't worry, it'll be me. I'll probably ask the exact same question again, here. Just wait a year or two.