building and walls

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Tried a scenario from ABTF with a buddy of mine and was dismayed by the sheer number of these buildings surrounded by walls. Very unique urban environment.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but, if a squad is in the hex, it is technically in the building, and if an potential target appears beyond the wall, that same squad cannot fire at it as it is sitting pretty in the building.

On the otherhand if the said target was to move adjacent to the wall, the formerly blinded squad can now declare wall advantage.

Though my memory is a little foggy but, I swore I must read that you can declare that the squad be outside of the building but only if they wish to setup entrenchments or what not, this will allow a squad to fire their LATW and avoid back blast as well as taking opportunity shots. Of course this would require a counter indicator to reflect that and I believe that ending a turn in bypass is a no no.

Seems like I must have missed something in the rules as this seems a little too gamey. :crosseye:

Can anyone clarify this for me?

John

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
G'Day Gents

What you are looking for that resolves this situation is the Wall Advantage rule that was in a major way rewritten in the 2nd ed rulebook.
You can at certain times declare Wall Advantage even if in trhe building hex and so be able to both fire Backblast weapons and also deny the possibility for a adjacent target to get the protection from the wall.
If you do not have Wall Advantage in the building hex you can still fire at a adjacent target in the road Location but that unit will automatically have the TEM of the Wall as a rule called Mandatory Wall Advantage comes into play.
There is plenty more to this but I have no rulebook handy so this is just a short answer. I think that this part of the rule is actually available on one of the errata pages that you can download from the MMP website.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Doughboy said:
Now correct me if I'm wrong but, if a squad is in the hex, it is technically in the building, and if an potential target appears beyond the wall, that same squad cannot fire at it as it is sitting pretty in the building.
It is technically in the building, but the wall never blocks LOS to/from its own hex (exc: units beneath entrenchments), B9.2

On the otherhand if the said target was to move adjacent to the wall, the formerly blinded squad can now declare wall advantage.
No, a unit can not declare WA when an enemy unit enters the other side of the wall. Since the squad didn't have WA, the moving enemy can (must if in OG) take the WA, and thus be fired on with +1 (+2 Wall -1FFNMA) instead of -2 (FFMO/FFNMA).

The times a unit can declare WA is limited, and clarified in the second edition.
B9.32: "Claiming WA is voluntary [EXC: 9.323], and can be done by a unit at five times: during its setup; at the end of any RPh (step 1.32B of ASOP, ATTACKER first); during its MPh/APh (either as part of, or before/after MF/MP expenditures); when losing HIP status; whenever all enemy units lose/forfeit WA over shared wall/hedge hexsides"

Though my memory is a little foggy but, I swore I must read that you can declare that the squad be outside of the building but only if they wish to setup entrenchments or what not, this will allow a squad to fire their LATW and avoid back blast as well as taking opportunity shots. Of course this would require a counter indicator to reflect that and I believe that ending a turn in bypass is a no no.
There exists no such rule that I'm aware of.

Hope this helped.

Last edited:

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Commissar Piotr said:
You can at certain times declare Wall Advantage even if in trhe building hex and so be able to both fire Backblast weapons and also deny the possibility for a adjacent target to get the protection from the wall.
Even if you have WA, you're in the building for all purposes (excluding TEM), including Backblast, so having WA doesn't help you to avoid BB. See B9.32.

If you do not have Wall Advantage in the building hex you can still fire at a adjacent target in the road Location but that unit will automatically have the TEM of the Wall as a rule called Mandatory Wall Advantage comes into play.
You can even fire at non-adjacent targets. The Mandatory WA rule only comes into play if the other side of the wall is OG, of course.

Last edited:

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hello Gents

I should never have answered without having my eASLRB with me as I should know that Ole would jump at m,e pointing out if I did get anything wrong.
I did refer to the ASLRB did I not ? :OHNO:

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ole Boe said:
It is technically in the building, but the wall never blocks LOS to/from its own hex (exc: units beneath entrenchments), B9.2

No, a unit can not declare WA when an enemy unit enters the other side of the wall. Since the squad didn't have WA, the moving enemy can (must if in OG) take the WA, and thus be fired on with +1 (+2 Wall -1FFNMA) instead of -2 (FFMO/FFNMA).

The times a unit can declare WA is limited, and clarified in the second edition.
B9.32: "Claiming WA is voluntary [EXC: 9.323], and can be done by a unit at five times: during its setup; at the end of any RPh (step 1.32B of ASOP, ATTACKER first); during its MPh/APh (either as part of, or before/after MF/MP expenditures); when losing HIP status; whenever all enemy units lose/forfeit WA over shared wall/hedge hexsides"

There exists no such rule that I'm aware of.

Hope this helped.
Coolness, definitely going to review that rule and replay "Late for Mass" again as this radically changes things. It was amazing in any case as with all that shooting and my crapola dice rolls for 6 turns and the only casulties was one officier (whom I solely needed, and one wound leader; both mine).:shock:

cheers!

CHERDE

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Doughboy said:

John
Maybe you reminded to C 13.8 - ie. declaring opportunity fire.