buholtz

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
hello,
could someone kindly show me a site where I can find how buholtz tie breaker in Chess tournaments works?
it seems this word is unknown on the internet...
Thanks

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I confess that I am unfamiliar with that term as well. Give me a few days and I'll see what I can find out for you.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've got the answer...or, rather, a guy by the name of Rick LaValle does over at Chessworld.net:

It took some digging, but I finally found the answer in an article about Galaletsang Mooketsi from Botswana. I'd post the URL to the article but I'm not sure if that would be appropriate. "Bucholz is a tiebreak system that adds the cumulative score of a player's opponents." So if you and I tie for top score and your opponents scored higher than mine, you win.
There you go!

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
thank you Scott,
That is what I already know. As TD I use the Buholtz tie breaker in ASL tournaments. It is the most common system adopted in ASL tournies even if TDs don't call often it that way...
I wonder if it has a different name nowadays in Chess world and how Chess TDs manage ties when ELO is not available.
Some ASL players asked me to show them the source of this rule and I have some difficulties..

Strange enough also Wikipedia is silent...

Thank you again for your time.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The good folks as Chessville provided this link for more info:

Buchholz

This seems to be a good website for listing all the different tie-break methods used by FIDE and USCF.

Last edited:

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
ok, that's what I was exactly looking for.
thank you
:)