Bug or Feature ?

Lou

Event Engineer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Create a throwaway scenario with some broken rail hexes controlled by each side.

No rail repair units and no rail repair units.

When you run the scenario, 1 broken rail hex will be repaired by each side, each turn.

sPzAbt653

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've noticed this also. Can you try setting Rail Repair to '0' by event to see if that overrides the repairs ?

ogar

Reaction score
sPzAbt653 is correct. Set the rail repair to 0 in the events, and the only repair will be via RR repair-capable units.

I'm playing Telumar's Anzio scenarios and he has the events set for both sides. There's a hex pre-determined to be 'damaged RR' at turn 1, and unless the German player gets that far with his RR unit, it stays damaged all thru the scenario. Allies do not have a rail repair capable unit. Note, in these scenarios (1 KM and 2 KM) rails are not damaged when a hex changes ownership.

In Snefens's Operation Neva, 'automatic' rail repair is set to 0 for both sides in the events. In this scenario, hex ownership change does damage rails - actually just having a partizan unit breathe near the RR seems enough to damage RR. And both sides have RR repair units, management of which becomes a sub-game all in itself.

HTH

shunwick

Reaction score
Country
ll
Feature. IIRC it was documented behaviour in the TOAW 2 manual although I haven't checked if it is in the TOAW III manual.

sPzAbt653

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I checked and its in the TOAW III manual:

Automatic Railroad Repair: In most Scenarios, both forces have
an Automatic Railroad Repair Capability. The default value is 1
location per Turn, which is repaired when the game performs
Automatic Bookkeeping.