BtB 1: Taking Tailleville AAR

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just finished a cracking game with my long term VASSAL opponent Ian. We try to get together once a week for a couple of hours or so using VASL and Skype.

This was the situation on the final Canadian turn. I was the Canadian player and had to ensure that there were no good order German MMC on or East of hexrow P.

the mmg in the road is manned by an SMC who single handed succeeded in breaking 3 of my squads last turn, 2 of whom were in stone buildings and one who was 9 morale fanatic. They are in the black circled location.

Under the German 9-1 is an mmg and a 4-6-8. The German lmg is manned by a 4-3-6

The melee is between a broken Canadian HS and a prisoner squad.

the German unit in R4 is broken

There is a real unit in P0.

During the Rally phase none of the broken units rallied.

Prep fire.
The Sherman in U3 smokes R1.

The following shot is taken at the start of the CC phase

The broken HS in melee was eliminated during a 1 sniper attack, the prisoner automatically rearmed. 4 CC attacks to resolve. on the 3rd the 4-3-6 rolled snakes after the Canadian squad failed to get any result. We rolled the 4th just see what the result would have been and it was a melee.

A win for German, 4 or less would have done it. But what a final move to get my units into a position to contest all the remaining German squads. I had a fortnight to think about how I could possibly manage it, without being annihilated, whilst Ian was on holiday. One of the most satisfying moves I have ever carried out in an ASL game. Cracking scenario.

Cheers

Paul

Last edited:

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
Just finished a cracking game with my long term VASSAL opponent Ian. We try to get together once a week for a couple of hours or so using VASL and Skype.

This was the situation on the final Canadian turn. I was the Canadian player and had to ensure that there were no good order German MMC on or East of hexrow P.

View attachment 9937

the mmg in the road is manned by an SMC who single handed succeeded in breaking 4 of my squads last turn, 3 of whom were in stone buildings and one who was 9 morale fanatic. They are in the black circled location.

Under the German 9-1 is and mmg and a 4-6-8. The German lmg is manned by a 4-3-6

Prep fire.

View attachment 9938

The broken HS in melee was eliminated during a 1 sniper attack, the prisoner automatically rearmed. 5 CC attacks to resolve. on the 4th the 4-3-6 rolled snakes after the Canadian squad failed to get any result.

A win for German. But what a final move to get my units into a position to contest all the remaining German squads. I had a fortnight to think about how I could possibly manage it, whilst Ian was on holiday. One of the most satisfying moves I have ever carried out in an ASL game. Cracking scenario.

Cheers

Paul

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
Nice, this game is on my want to play list. Have not played w/tunnels yet, but will soon. Thanks for AAR

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Nice, this game is on my want to play list. Have not played w/tunnels yet, but will soon. Thanks for AAR
Tunnels are quite straightforward. Easier than sewers and much easier than PTO tunnel and cave complexes. We had to read the rules during the game just to refresh our memories. But very straightforward.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Using tunnels is easy, making best use of them is hard. I was taught the aggressive use of tunnels when an opponent jumped on 3 broken squads as he'd placed his tunnel forwards to where I was likely to rout go when i broke.

Last edited:

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom

View attachment 9937

the mmg in the road is manned by an SMC who single handed succeeded in breaking 3 of my squads last turn, 2 of whom were in stone buildings and one who was 9 morale fanatic. They are in the black circled location.

Under the German 9-1 is an mmg and a 4-6-8. The German lmg is manned by a 4-3-6

Prep fire.

View attachment 9938

The broken HS in melee was eliminated during a 1 sniper attack, the prisoner automatically rearmed. 4 CC attacks to resolve. on the 3rd the 4-3-6 rolled snakes after the Canadian squad failed to get any result. We rolled the 4th just see what the result would have been and it was a melee.

A win for German, 4 or less would have done it. But what a final move to get my units into a position to contest all the remaining German squads. I had a fortnight to think about how I could possibly manage it, without being annihilated, whilst Ian was on holiday. One of the most satisfying moves I have ever carried out in an ASL game. Cracking scenario.

Cheers

Paul
Yes, it was a good game, key for the Germans is to try and keep concealment and slowly give ground. My ‘snakes’ roll was icing on the cake.