BRT CGIII questions

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
greetings!

Carl Nogueira & I are starting the BRT CGIII, 'Utmost Savagery', and surprise surprise, some questions came up. Since the YASL list has far fewer people who have tried this monster, we are searching for wisdom here...

First, if there is a Gun under a trench, and the trench is removed, due to palm trees falling into it in this case, but could be due to another unit boxcarring its MC, is the Gun considered emplaced or is it forced to rely on whatever TEM is available?

Second, a pillbox is adjacent to a trench, thereby forming a bunker. The pillbox/bunker is in a palm hex, which is transformed into palm debris by the bombardment. Is the pillbox still a bunker? I'd say no, as the palm debris should have filled in the slit trenches used for communication.

For those of you keeping track of the CG at home, the naval bombardments striped a couple of Japanese units, destroyed no pillboxes, but removed a few wire hexes, breached a lot of seawall hexsides, rubbled a few wooden buildings (but five in a row on the Beak passed their MCs!), and a lot of palm trees were taken down. There is a row of four consecutive seawall hexsides breached just to the east of the big pier. The smoke from the bombardments covers a vast stretch of Red Two into Red Three, plus the entire Beak. It looks like Carl is going to run an amphibious alpha strike, six companies of Marines on the first wave... MESSSYY!

Once the Marines entered, the Scout/Sniper platoon teleported onto the middle of the pier, since the pier is not in the Japanese setup area, I could not use MMCs under the pier to keep the scouts farther out in the lagoon. However, the Marine SAN starts at a 5 due to the +3 for the seaborne assault. The SAN drops by that 3 when the first Marine unit enters a "Land" hex. Does the Scout/Snipers on the pier count as being on a "land" hex? Do Scout/Sniper actions by move/advancing into a hinterland hex cause the drop in the Marine SAN?

During the CC phase, the Scout/snipers advanced into a hex with an occupied Japanese trench and occupied pillbox. We know that the Marines could not attack the pillbox occupant due to the presence of the screening unit (a crew for a dual 12.7mm HMG). How do you resolve the CC attack by the Japanese? Can the crew of the 12.7 combine with the occupant of the pillbox in a Normal (black number) CC attack? We believe the occupant of the pillbox can attack out, but combining is a question.

Next, the Japanese sniper wounded Lt. Hawkins, the 10-3 with the Scout/Snipers. Assuming the Marines want to pull the 'leader in the wheelbarrow' trick, does the squad that wants to carry the leader need to roll a recovery attempt to grab him? Or is that roll unnecessary?

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Tork said:
First, if there is a Gun under a trench, and the trench is removed, due to palm trees falling into it in this case, but could be due to another unit boxcarring its MC, is the Gun considered emplaced or is it forced to rely on whatever TEM is available?
I'm NRBH but I'd check the rules for emplacement. If the gun meets all conditions for emplacement then it is emplaced. ASL physics at its finest. It should be emplaced now.

Tork said:
Second, a pillbox is adjacent to a trench, thereby forming a bunker. The pillbox/bunker is in a palm hex, which is transformed into palm debris by the bombardment. Is the pillbox still a bunker? I'd say no, as the palm debris should have filled in the slit trenches used for communication.
If the trench still exists and the pillbox still exists and the Palm Debris rules don't specifically counter act the bunker then the bunker still exists. More ASLRB physics. Check the Palm Debris rules.

Tork said:
Once the Marines entered, the Scout/Sniper platoon teleported onto the middle of the pier, since the pier is not in the Japanese setup area, I could not use MMCs under the pier to keep the scouts farther out in the lagoon. However, the Marine SAN starts at a 5 due to the +3 for the seaborne assault. The SAN drops by that 3 when the first Marine unit enters a "Land" hex. Does the Scout/Snipers on the pier count as being on a "land" hex? Do Scout/Sniper actions by move/advancing into a hinterland hex cause the drop in the Marine SAN?
I don't know what you mean by teleport but Z33 is a pier hex and the scout snipers enter there. There is a buried reference somewhere in the rules that indicates that Z33 is a pier hex. It isn't however explicitly stated. Isn't it a printed SAN of 5 increased by 2 for seaborne assault then decreased by 2 later. Check the Seaborne assault rule. Piers are NOT land hexes.

Tork said:
During the CC phase, the Scout/snipers advanced into a hex with an occupied Japanese trench and occupied pillbox. We know that the Marines could not attack the pillbox occupant due to the presence of the screening unit (a crew for a dual 12.7mm HMG). How do you resolve the CC attack by the Japanese? Can the crew of the 12.7 combine with the occupant of the pillbox in a Normal (black number) CC attack? We believe the occupant of the pillbox can attack out, but combining is a question.
I don't know. Check the pillbox rules.

Tork said:
Next, the Japanese sniper wounded Lt. Hawkins, the 10-3 with the Scout/Snipers. Assuming the Marines want to pull the 'leader in the wheelbarrow' trick, does the squad that wants to carry the leader need to roll a recovery attempt to grab him? Or is that roll unnecessary?
Same as all other times in ASL. It is not necessary to recover a leader in order for a MMC to assist. Check the wound rules.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance but no RB handy.

cacomly

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
towers

Tork,
we just got done playing CGII. First scenario will be a bloodbath for the US play. Do not forget that the towers can be used for spotted fire for the 120mm, 140mm, 200mm, and all of the other standard guns that can fire indirect.

If only I had remembered ...