BRT CGIII 19PM AAR

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Greetings,

Carl & I have converted our BRT CGIII game to VASL 4.1.3. We have started the 19PM scenario, the second of the CG. To get to the end of this AAR has taken three VASL sessions.

I'd say doing this by VASL has increased the time necessary by at least three times. Face to face, there were a lot of attacks that were resolved by pointing, saying '4FP+1', rolling the dice and moving on. That takes much longer on VASL.

[Requested VASL Feature! When you hold the cursor over a stack of units, can the hex coord also appear? In the battle area, most hexes have units in them, so it is difficult to figure out which hex is which when the opponent says 'stack in S38'. Yes, you can click on units in a hex to have the hex id displayed, but we several times had to clean up afterwards when clicked units moved unintentionally...]

The Japanese set up first and move second. The Japanese appear (I have to be somewhat obscure) to want to hold the Marines at the Pier and Beak lodgements, utilizing their firepower much more efficiently than they had to in the first scenario of the CG. With the previous setup limitations (Black Beach), many 448s had to sit out the last battle. My primary concern is the attrition in anti-armor & anti-LVT weapons. Asides from mobile 37* INF, there are a number of entry areas that I just can't cover with the guns I've got left.

The Marines have limited setup options with their on-board force. Their swarms of tanks, blitzkreig Pacific style, are along their front lines. There are powerful deathstars matched with -2 leaders on each flank of the Pier beachhead. Some 81mm mortars had to be manned with halfsquads due to the lack of surviving crews. Their first wave has been put together. The follow-on battalion is entering on Red One! The first wave is probably two companies of infantry, with heavy weapon support. The Japanese player wasn't expecting that. We are playing that the other two beaches can get one wave of units entering simultaneously with the first wave of the follow-on battalion, but until that battalion has fully entered, no further troops for Red 2 & 3. On Red Two, Stuarts and LVTs entered. On Red Three, waders and LVTs came on board.

Japanese SAN of 6
Marine SAN of 3

Marine Turn 1

No air support.

Prep
Ordnance Smoke. The 81mm mortars start off with a barrage of WP rounds. A series of WP shots are placed in the palms across the runway from the pier, to keep the 76L and 75 over on Black Beach from shooting at the Marine tankers. One shot was a WP CH, but it was on an empty hex... One mortar in Q36 runs out of WP. Another mortar in Q36 puts WP in O38, an 'empty bombproof' that turns out to have the Japanese 10-2, two crews with 0.50cal HMGs in there! A WP shot on the wooden building in M34 finds HIP 9-1 and 448/MMG, and one 448 rolls boxcars on its WP MC. CR & pin, as opposed to CR & break, first time I rolled boxcars and passed. Another mortar places WP in K31, striping a 448, rate shot to K36, striping a 347, and stops of its own accord. Up on the Beak, an unqualified crew fires but misses, no malf though. Another unqualified crew fires, no more WP, and another miss. A qualified crew fires its 81mm mortar into N15, successfully placing WP, but using up its last round. Then a 81mm mortar from the pier area fires up to the Beak, placing WP in N14 (cover for the landing craft). This draws the Japanese sniper, who breaks a 668/MMG in Q34. The 81mm mortar in S29 boxcars its WP shot for a malfunction. Another 81 from the same area fires and misses.
NOBA. Two SFCP, one on the Beak, one on the pier. First rolls a 10, no radio contact. Second rolls a 10, no contact! The 120mm shipboard observer, hex on board edge by the chin, pulls a red card. The 200mm can't do direct fire. So much for NOBA.

Real prep.
The first shot finds a HIP 448/LMG in R38, who turned out to be illegally HIP (no HIPsters in front line). The Japanese sniper pins a halfsquad in U10, missing a chance for a leader. A 30FP+1 on the same target using a captured Japanese LMG is an 11, Xing out the LMG. A FT flames, CRing the 448. The deathstar on the bottom of the pier fires on a trenchful of Japanese, 36FP flat. 2MC. The leader passed his 2MC! Only one unit pins. But then the Sherman nearby fires, CRs the squad, wounds the 9-0, stripes a squad and breaks the halfsquad who ate the K. An 81mm mortar fires at the 10-2 in his bombproof. Hit, snakes on the effects roll! The 10-2 survived the 1MC, surprisingly. A FT fire long range and hindered at the command bunker, a mere 6FP+1 on the concealed units. A 3 for a 2MC! The 9-1 wounds, a crew and a squad stripe. A Sherman fires at the Ha-Go in P43. Misses. But wait! There was a 10-2 armor leader in the Sherman, the Ha-Go dies. The Japanese sniper pins a squad, just missing a 9-1 leader. A Stuart fires cannister at the M34 area. A NMC, and the halfsquad that came from the 448 that failed its WP NMC on a boxcars rolls boxcars again! Then the 60mm mortars start firing... One 60mm mortar gets four shots off, for no effect. Another 60mm mortar gets a critical hit on a wooden building, selecting a 347, but the effects roll is a 12! Not a dud, a NMC, where the 347 pins. A Stuart jumps in, firing cannister, and gets rate three times! Due to the hindrances, no effect. Some Marine squads shoot into Q29, finding a HIP 448 (another illegal), and a FT kills it outright with a 2KIA. Some other tanks fire at my Ha-Go's on Red Two, miss with acq. A FT fires at empty hex P28, finding a HIP 448 with a 3MC. A 6FP+3 at a stack of concealed units is a 1MC, striping a 448. They call these guys elite? A Sherman on the top side of the pier strips the concealment off of a 448, then a FT gets a K/4 to leave a broken halfsquad behind. Another Sherman kills the Q26 Ha-Go. But the TH roll draws the Japanese sniper, who breaks a 81mm mortar crew in Q36. Another 60mm mortar fires from the pier area towards the Beak, boxcarring its shot. Up to the Beak, a Stuart fires its MGs. No effect, but the Japanese sniper pins the Marine sniper for the player turn. A Stuart MA shot misses and activates the Japanese sniper again, rehitting the broken mortar crew for no effect. A FT on the Beak fires at an adjacent wooden building, removing concealment and striping one 448 and pinning another. Now things get interesting. A halfsquad throws its DC at that hex. 30FP+4, snakes! No rubble creation, but it is a flame. The K/4 wounds the 9-1, striping the other squad. Another Beak Stuart tries to fire cannister, boxcars. After the over the internet cursing, fire the CMG (behind seawall), snakes! A 2MC on the 347, which passes with a 3! A FT fires, rolls an 11, so is retained for next game. Another Beak Stuart uses up its last round of cannister. Then a wounded 8-0 throws its DC at another Japanese wooden building with a concealed stack. [No prohibition that we could find, still good order...]. Snakes! No rubble creation again, but another flame is created. The 2MC causes the 10-0 to fall, fatally wounded. So much for high morale. This stripes one 448 and pins another. To finish off the prep, a 81mm mortar fires at the Red One command bunker, through smoke. Snakes! Now this was just what was needed to hit, so a subsequent dr was necessary. Regular hit. No effect. Two more shots, regular hits, no effect, although the Japanese sniper rehits the already pinned Marine sniper for extra pinning effect...

Movement Phase
The bogged Sherman goes CE and unbogs with the help of his wounded pathfinder. One DC is placed on my front line R37 unit by the stack in S38. No shots, bigger fish to fry. A 7-0/DC runs from the pier over towards the wooden buildings, but doesn't place its toy. The row of 37LL guns enter on the pier, driving along. My firepower placeable over there is extremely limited, no shots. Four 37LL guns, lots more cannister. These guns and their jeeps stop behind the seawall, will unload next MPh. The Stuarts enter on Red Two. There are a bunch of 11DR before one of them finally bogs.
Then a wedge of 16LVTs, three hexes deep, enter on Red One. With the smoke and the wrecks from the AM, no shots... The recalled LVT that had been immobilized and then repaired on the Beak started up and headed out to sea.

Defensive Fire
The Japanese open up! Starting up on the Beak, The T10 pillbox gets a 2MC on a Marine stack, for no effect. Then the R11 stack fires at S12, breaking a 348 and 7-0. A big firegroup shoots at S12, 20FP+1/+2, for a K/4 and 4MC! The FT halfsquad dies, the 7-0 wounds but lives, but the broken 348 goes HoB, going fanatic and creating a hero! The hero recovers the FT. Another shot at S12 wounds the 7-0 again, this time fatally. The Japanese sniper is activated with a 1dr, hitting the Marine sniper and taking the Marine SAN down to 2. A mortar barrage stonks into U12 (a 347 with two 50mm mortars), no effect but acq is placed. The R10 HMG star comes out from HIP and fires at U10, no effect. The 75 in R10 fires at the infantry stacked with the malfed MA Stuart in U10, miss. Then the Red One/Two guns start firing at the LVTs. A 75, a 37L and a twin 12.7 all fire at LVTs, and miss.

Over by the pier, a 24FP+2 firegroup is a 2MC, which the stack of Marines all pass. Then the Q28 pillbox fires at the Marines behind the seawall, a 16FP+2. No effect. An 8FP+1 along the beach (MMG/448 in foxhole) is also no effect. Other 16FP shots have no effect. Finally, a 16FP-1 against the Q36 mortar crews is a DR of 3 for a 2KIA! Both crews die, and a 81mm mortar dies from SW destruction. The rate shot into R36 is a K against the FT guy and a 2MC on the rest of the big stack. The 8-0 with the FT lives through his wound, but the 9-2 breaks and a 768 assault engineer rolls boxcars. Other Marines in the hex break. Rate again has no further effect.

After this, the mortars get firing in a big way. HIP in the palm trees across the runway are ten 50mm mortars. All come out to play, firing at the row of Marine tanks on the runway from P31 to P35. No effect, although lots of acquisition is placed. Should be good for some smoke next player turn.

We had to stop here, with the Defensive fire incomplete.
Marines have killed 18CVP, including two tanks.
Japanese have killed 9CVP.

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
D'Oh! 20PM

Greetings,

Continuing the Defensive Fire Phase of Marine Turn 1, 20PM

The Marine stack in hex R36 remained the prime target. Everybody within range started to shoot. A shot from the P37 trench with 6FP rewounded the 9-2 but he lived, while the wounded 8-0 failed his wound check. The broken assault engineer halfsquad died too. Then the stack inside the command bunker fires, 16FP+2. The 9-2 is wounded again, just a flesh wound, while all the others pass. The 10-2 and his 0.50cal HMGs in the bombproof fire next. With the +2 for the WP smoke on top of them, is another 16FP+2 for a 2MC. The 9-2 wounds for a fourth time, this time fatally. The broken 768 assault engineer squad is reduced. The rate shot is a 3MC, breaking the last good order unit, a 668 with a MMG. A 37* INF in the foxhole below the pier in R40 opens up on the Red Three LVTs. He gets off four shots, with three hits on an LVT that he can't convert to a kill, although it did require the LVT to pass a Possible Shock check.

Above the pier, a HMG stack comes out from HIP, and its 12FP attack pins a 8-0/FT. A nearby MMG stack, 16FP, pins a 668. Less than thrilled. The 10-1 with two 0.50cal HMGs in the Q27 trench fires at the beach hex where two roasters wait, R28. Despite NMC/PTC, no effect. Another 37* fires at the LVTs, just entered into Red Two. Miss. So does the Ha-Go. Back below the pier, a 76L gets a hit with rate on an LVT for a kill! With a TK of 11, the LVT does not burn, and one halfsquad fails its crew survival.

That ended the Defensive Fire phase, about two more hours on VASL, loaded with puns, pithy comments, and the occasional curse that didn't get typed into the chat box...

The Japanese sniper was very quiet, only one or two chances, with no effect. So much for the SAN of 6.

Japanese have killed 17CVP of Marines
Marines have taken out 18CVP of Japanese.

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stonk

hello,

Stonk is British for OBA... If the Japanese had access to a couple of FFEs, even just 70mm, the invasion would have been smashed. Instead, the best I can do is to fire multiple mortars at the same target, hoping the 2FP+1 (at best) can get lucky... I've got about 20 of the dang things, might as well put them to use...

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
20PM, Mar T1 & J T1

Continuing with Marine Turn One...

Advancing fire

The Marine placed DC on R37 is an 11, in the sand, for no effect. Surprisingly, nothing else. I guess the Marines fired everything they could during the Prep.

Rout
Limited routing, only a couple of broken units. Again, it felt worse than that during the fire phases.

Advance Phase
Marines on the offensive in the central buildings above the pier.
Advance into CC in O30, O29 plus R37. Other Marines shift around, especially the FT guys, moving into hexes with fewer other units to attract fire.

Close Combat
R37 no result, melee
O30 no ambush, the Japanese squad dies, but his lucky return shot fatally wounds the 8-1
O29 no ambush (almost) my striped 448 dies, no damage in return.
T10 A Marine HS goes for 347 in the trench above the pillbox, declaring HTH. The 348 assault engineer HS dies.
CVP Total so far,
Marines kill 22CVP
Japanese kill 20CVP

Japanese Turn One

Reinforcements for the reserve pool
Get two 448s and a 9-1
Rally:
Another surprise, nothing to repair for the Japanese! The Marines don’t fix any of their mortars. The Beak Stuart fixes its MA, but it is still out of canister.
The Japanese rally both broken HS, one top and other bottom of the pier. The commissar bonus is nice for good troops.

Prep
First mortar fires regular smoke at Sherman in Q36, successfully placed
Another mortar, no Smoke, no WP either. Second mortar, uses up last round of smoke. Smoke in P33, WP in P32 (pins 668/MMG!). Smoke in P34, WP in P35, to go along with Q36. Nice row of artificial terrain.

Regular Prep. This should be interesting. O28 on O29, 30FP+1, K/4. The Marine squad eats K, the 8-1 breaks as does the surviving HS. A 12FP+1 shot on P29, pins squad but misses the FT leader. Of course, the rate shot by LMG, boxcars!
Shot from pillbox in Q28 on R28, a 16FP+1/2, no effect with fanaticism
Shot on R36, a 1MC, but the 668 passes with a 3!
Then the 668 passes a 1MC from the 10-2 and his 50 cals!
Change tacks. Fire both 37*s below the pier at Red Three LVTs with double acqs, both miss anyway. Back to land targets. The command bunker fires at Marine beach star, 16FP+4. 1MC. All pass. Swarm of other shots, no effect.
Then the 10-1 in Q27 fires the 50cals at a big Marine stack, 16FP 0/+1. A KIA on FT guy, kills 8-0 outright, and random SW destruction on FT eliminates it! A 668 eats the K. The wounded 9-2 breaks, as does the other squad and the surviving halfsquad. The rate shot at the same target is a 2MC. The wounded 9-2 passes, but both MMCs fail, so both CR. The rate shot on the beach FT goes for no effect. The HMG stack in P27, misses wide. The 37* INF above the pier misses a Red Two LVT, despite the double acquisition. The Ha Go gets a hit on the same LVT, but the 37 shot bounces off of the hull armor.

Beak. From inside a pillbox, the pointblank 12FP+1 on the hero/FT behind seawall is only a PTC, no effect. Next, the T11 pillbox gets a NMC on a Marine stack, no effect. A MMG stack 24FP+1 on the fanatic 348 HS finally breaks it! The T10 pillbox fires on U10, 12FP+2, getting a NMC. All three defenders pass their NMC but activate the Japanese sniper! The first SAN is warm. I move the Beak sniper away from the Marine sniper, hoping for better targets. The second and third activations have no effect! I should have kept the SAN at 5, the Marines roll that number plenty of times…. A 50mm mortar fires at U10, hit with rate, and surprise, a good effects roll! The DR of 3 is a NMC on the stack, and it shocks the Stuart that just fixed its MA! A Marine 348 HS with DC/MMG CRs on the beach. Also from R10, fire the HMG stack, snakes on fake roll, an 11 on the real one. Malf one HMG. Another light mortar on U10, hit, boxcars on effects! Second mortar from R10, hit, a 1MC! The halfsquad manning the 81mm mortar dies, leaving only a 8-0 leader with a handful of toys (DC and MMG). Then the R10 75AA fires at the shocked Stuart behind seawall. Hit in the turret with rate! I need a 9 for a kill, but roll a 10 for a Shock result. But he is already shocked… However, the rate shot is another hit in the turret! This time it burns! Adding injury to insult a MMG stack then hits the 200mm NOBA SFCP with a 2MC, and the unit dies on the beach

Stopping here for the night, with the Prep fire incomplete.
CVP Total so far,
Marines kill 22CVP
Japanese kill 34CVP

Stevedeth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I love to Tarawa AARs (maybe I am biased) Are you playing online and willing for a visitor to watch?

Trivia question, which HOB product officially uses the word Stonk in the rules?

Steve

Stevedeth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First post on the new forum I noticed I lost my battlefield commision and am back in the ranks!

SD

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Japanese Turn 1

Stevedeth said:
I love to Tarawa AARs (maybe I am biased) Are you playing online and willing for a visitor to watch?

Trivia question, which HOB product officially uses the word Stonk in the rules?

Steve
Hey Steve,

Carl & I are playing this one via VASL. Both of us are Eastern time zoners. Our lives are making meeting up on-line a bit variable, but we've been playing weekend evenings (8PM plus), plus the occasional weekday evening, 10PM and later for those. You are welcome to stop and see how it is going! I've noticed that we seem to be attracting a crowd, often three or four observers. They've been very quiet, keeping to the 'no-kibbitzing' rule, so I've no idea what they think of the game. The game label is self-explanatory, so stop on by.

We've finished the Marine Defensive fire of J T1, and we hopefully will finish the rest of the player turn tonight or tomorrow night.

CVP totals are creeping up, Marines have lost 46CVP, Japanese have lost 29CVP. Fortunately, THHs are no charge. (pun intended).

Full AAR to follow shortly.

I was checking out my old "King of the Hill" rules while my daughter was at the dentist this morning. Wasn't that the 'stonk' usage?

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
VASL with voice goes much quicker and more akin to FTF. TeamSpeak works well. Although I cannot find a dedicated server, there are many public no password servers out there.

As to the hex ID, click on the top unit. The hex ID will appear in a white box underneath the counter.

Keep the AAR's flowing!

Stevedeth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The answer is King of the Hill!

Keep up the game, I have been having issues getting VASL back up after the computer crash.

Hope to get it resolved this weekend.

Steve

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
end J T1, start Mar T2

BRT AAR update starting Sept 1

Continuing with the BRT CGIII, 20PM Japanese Turn 1

Advancing Fire
A series of shots, the best of which was a 2FP+1, does nothing.
Of the flames in the wooden buildings on the Beak, R11 goes to a Blaze!!
The units inside withdraw, a leader and two striped squads with MMGs, to the SW.

Rout Phase
The Japanese rout two halfsquads. The Marines rout one halfsquad on the Beak, with several other units by the pier. The broken mortar halfsquad routs out of the hex with the banzai’ing Japanese halfsquad.

Advance Phase (continued on Sept 3)
There is only one unpinned Japanese unit adjacent to a Marine tank, despite all my attempts. The banzai halfsquad fails to generate its THH. Said halfsquad then advances in with a pinned Marine squad and a Stuart, unfortunately not ambush terrain.

Close Combat
The R37 melee, which was reinforced by a wounded 8-0 leader (why not, might as well do something useful), goes HtH but both sides still miss! In the P32 close combat with the banzai halfsquad against the tank and his friends, the Japanes 137 attacks the pinned squad HtH. He misses badly. The Marines didn’t.

CVP Totals:
Marines have lost 46 CVP
Japanese have lost 27 CVP

Marine Turn 2

Rally
Air support! One FB ’44 will show up. This cancels any chance of NOBA.
The all-important Repair Phase: The Marines fix a 81mm mortar but get no result on a 60mm mortar. The Japanese repair a HMG in the R10 firebase, and the squad and halfsquad on the tip of the Beak switch off on their MMG and DC.
The Marines rally one squad, while the Japanese rally both eligible halfsquads.

Prep Fire
Flip the old WP smoke hanging around.
A 81mm mortar misses with its last round of WP. Marines are having poor luck with the special ammo. No NOBA due to the air support.
Beak: The Marine hero with the FT on the Beak gets a KIA on an adjacent striped 348 squad, destroying its MMG as well! A 0.50 cal stack attacks the adjacent pillbox with a 24FP+2, resulting in a 4MC! The striped squad inside goes to a halfsquad, but does not ELR. The rate shot on the same halfsquad is a morale check, on which the halfsquad rolls a boxcars. A second rate shot kills a conscript halfsquad, and breaks an elite halfsquad. The final shot by the 0.50 cal is a 1MC, which the Japanese forces manage to pass. A 81mm mortar fires on its acquisition on the Red One command bunker, and despite four shots, has no effect. So far the Japanese sniper had four activations with no results.
Pier Sector: The Marines concentrate on the 10-1 and his troop of 0.50cal HMGs in Q27. First a Sherman fires, rolling boxcars to malfunction its MA. The MGs fire at same, a 6FP+3, for a 1MC! The concealed squad present only ate a PTC, which is fortunate as he gets Heat of Pin. The Marine sniper is warm, pinning a squad in the Q28 pillbox. A 81mm mortar fires at the same 10-1. The first shot is a hit, with the 4FP+2 resulting in a 1MC! No effect on the Japanese, the 10-1 is cool as a cucumber. A second shot is also a hit, for no effect, with the Japanese sniper on vacation again. Next, the R28 8-0 leader with his FT fires long range. The FT is Xed out but retained with a DR of 10. Changing tacks, a 60mm mortar fires long range up to the Beak, rolling the Japanese SAN with both TH and effects DR. The first Japanese SAN is warm, heading up to the Marine 8-0 leader in U10 for a wound. This tough guy, weighed down by all the SW he has gathered around him, lives. The second Japanese SAN is hot, breaking the Marine squad in R36 that laughed at all the Japanese firepower sent his way last turn. Back to that 10-1 in Q27. A large stack fires with a 30FP+3 for a 1MC, which all pass. Hmmph. A second FT fires long range at Q27, rolling another 10 to X out the FT. Both of the FT are retained for next CGS. Moving south a few hexes, the Stuart in bypass uses up its last round of canister for no effect. On the edge of the runway, a 30FP+1 on the Japanese squad in the foxhole next to the buildings is DR of 11 for a 1MC. This Xes out a captured Japanese LMG. On the 1MC, the squad rolls snakes, berserk! Back to that Q27 10-1. A 60mm mortar fires, misses. Its rate shot is a hit, and the 2FP+2 is a 1MC! But everyone passes. Another rate shot is a hit for a NMC! But again, everyone passes. Two more 60mm shots are hits, but have no effect. A second 60mm mortar joins the party for a hit on Q27. Snakes are rolled for the effects! The 10-1 passes the 1MC, and a crew even rolls snakes of its own back. The squad does finally stripe though, sole result of this flurry. The Marines sniper has no effect. This mortar isn’t done though, firing twice more with one more NMC result. Everyone passes, and another crew rolls snakes. Crews of course are not subject to HoB. This time the Marine sniper is ready and waiting, striping the crew of the 120L AA on the back of the Beak. A Marine 81mm mortar to the east fires on the wounded leader who set off the banzai charge last turn. It gets off two shots that have no effect, even though they both set off the Japanese SAN. A Stuart fires canister which stripes a 448 in the building beside the runway, despite the 9-1’s effect on his morale. On the east side of the beachhead, a FT fires long-range into the command bunker. All pass the MC, but it does strip the new leader of his concealment. Then the Sherman with the 10-2 armor leader fires at the command bunker, missing wide. A 12FP+3 on the Q37 trench is a 2MC, fatally wounding the 9-0 and reducing the striped 348 squad to a halfsquad. Lastly, the immobilized Sherman in the lagoon fires at the 37*/228 in the beach foxhole. No effect, Japanese sniper is sleeping.

There were 12 possible Japanese SANs in this phase, with two activations, one warm, one hot.
There were four possible Marine SAN activations in this phase, also with two activations, a warm and a hot.

The Marines did 7CVP of damage in this fire phase. That 10-1 and his stack of two crews and one squad passed a total of 27 morale checks!! [remember, the squad failed once to stripe…]

Movement Phase
Pier: The three 37LL ATGs unhook in S36, T35, and T34, a decent backstop in case the Japanese get brave. Two LVTs move towards shore, both dodging 3 ROF 37* guns that can’t get rate. One LVT unloads another SFCP plus a MMG halfsquad. The other LVT doesn’t have enough MP to unload, so it stays in motion. The waders do their waddle towards shore. A LVT with a –2 acq from a 76L dodges behind wrecks in the water, heading towards the safety of the pier to unload next turn.
The smoked tanks near the runway get ready to move next. A smoked Stuart moves onto the runway, and fires canister at the mortar crews in the palm trees. No effect, as well as no effect by the 10-2 to get a TK roll with a 0.50cal on the stern of that Stuart. [Quick question—do you have to declare a covered arc while in a bombproof???] A second Stuart moves out of the smoke, dodging the acq from the 76L across the island, only to fire canister and use up its last round for no effect. A third Stuart tries this sort of thunder run, but has no canister already, and the MGs have no effect. Now a Sherman starts up and makes a run adjacent to the mortar crews. The MGs have no effect, and the MA misses the bounding fire TH by one. The Japanese SAN is warm, re-wounding that 8-0 up in U10! Of course, the tough guy lives. The Sherman starts back up, waddles over to the middle of the runway in M32. For the little guys, a 7-0 places his DC on a concealed unit in the O29 building. So many of the Marines prep-fired that nobody was available to pull the assault move bump and strip the concealment. The Japanese unit does nothing, staying concealed.
Out in the lagoon on the Red Two side, the Sherman with the wounded pathfinder moves one more hex towards shore. The lone LVT is almost to shore now. Again, few Japanese weapons can see this zone. The Stuarts are wading towards shore, with one rolling snakes on its bog roll. A 2FP long-range flat shot on a pathfinder is a NMC, who promptly rolls boxcars to die. That Stuart is going to have a delay. The bogged Stuart on the board edge manages to unbog, barely. And the last LVT gets fired at by a Ha-Go and a 37* INF, with both missing and no rate.

Despite all of the canister and MG shots, only one Japanese SAN, which was warm for the re-wounding of the 8-0.

Stopping here, with Red One to go.

Phil Palmer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tork said:
Fire both 37*s below the pier at Red Three LVTs with double acqs, both miss anyway.
The 37* INF above the pier misses a Red Two LVT, despite the double acquisition.
Do 37* INF get acquisition? I thought not because they are SWs, not
"GUNS", and that only SW MTRs were specifically allowed to gain acq.

Phil "don't think the 37* can hit or penetrate worth a darn" Palmer

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Status so far

Greetings,

Our game is continuing, although life is doing its best to slow us down. There is way too much going on to do a full AAR, so here is a quick update on losses.

In the first CGS, the initial landing AM scenario, the final CVP tallies were
Marines lost 371 CVP
Japanese lost 176 CVP

Here are the CVP totals by turn for the PM CGS.

Turn 1
CVP Totals:
Marines have lost 46 CVP
Japanese have lost 27 CVP

Marine Turn 2
Marines lost 15CVP
Japanese lost 9CVP

Japanese Turn 2
Marines lost 15CVP
Japanese lost 10CVP

Marine Turn 3
Marines have lost 43 CVP so far, Advance & Close Combat still to occur... Although shouldn't be too much CC, as our adjacent forces have been eating each other alive.
Japanese have lost 17CVP so far

Total for CG day so far
Marines lost 119 CVP
Japanese lost 69 CVP, although it does look like our count has some problems. Fortunately, that is not the important one.

Key Events:
-A 30FP+1 attack on the trench containing my 10-1, two crews and two 0.50cal HMGs plus a squad rolled snakes, for a 1KIA. This hex had withstood an incredible number of morale checks. Now, morale doesn't matter when you are dead. I was left with a single halfsquad.
-The Sherman with a 10-2 armor leader was hit on the front hull by a 76L AA. Needed a 5 to immobilize, rolled a 4. No crew survival. 9 CVP gained there.
-A Stuart driver had the bright idea of going into bypass of some elite Japanese infantry in a wooden building. Both the squad and halfsquad generated THH, the first one of which had a ATMM. Burn...
-Some Marine assault engineers, a 768 and 8-0,had made it to the runway edge and were sitting in a Japanese foxhole. Previous turns had made the 768 fanatic and created a hero. The Japanese encircled them with fire. The hero died, and the wounded remnants died for failure to rout.
-A lucky 50mm mortar shot hits a beach hex with infantry on foot and a loaded LVT that just arrived (shot in Defensive Fire). The critical gets selected by a 348 halfsquad, while it is a regular hit on everbody else including the LVT. The effects roll was snakes, killing the halfsquad, and burning the LVT for 5 CVP inside.

More if I can put all that into some sort of reading format.

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A quick update here as our CGIII, second CG date, is still in progress. Life is doing its best to get in the way, but we're slogging on through.

We just started Japanese Turn 4, finished the Prep this AM. The Marine follow-on battalion is pushing on the top side of the Beak, but its efforts are hindered by the row of five burning wrecks, along the hexgrain, on the beach. Several Stuarts and LVTs have added to the carnage, but there are some good infantry there too. One besieged pillbox threw a captured Ami DC out the window, but the Marine 9-2 laughed.

Another Stuart had two 37L rounds bounce off its front armor, while two other Stuarts dodged 75mm and 76mm rounds. Marine infantry took a beating in this fire phase, after clearing several pillboxes last turn. One 9-1 was wounded fatally, while another 9-1 was wounded by the sniper but lived.

The beachhead around the pier is being squeezed, especially on the eastern side. A lone hero with a 0.50cal HMG is watching one flank. The fire from the command bunker has been fierce. The Beak beachhead is hemmed in by two terrain blazes, some NOBA, and the burning vehicles mentioned above.

CVP Count:
The Japanese have killed 541CVP of Marines.
The Marines have killed 274CVP of Japanese.

I'll try to put the last few turns into AAR form.

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Marine Turn 2, Japanese Turn 2

Marine Turn 2, MPh
The follow-on battalion lead elements are headed towards shore on the Beak. Several LVTs unload, either on the beach or one hex out still in the water. Two 9-2s are significant, along with lots of dismantled MGs.
An issue that came up has to do with the elements of one beach. If LVTs enter on Red One, do they have to continue towards Red One beaches or can they go towards other beaches, ignoring Red One? While I had been planning that these units were basically locked in towards exclusive landing areas, there does not seem to be a clear statement in the rules that that is the case. So a lesson for others, Green Beach will need some anti-armor weapons in case the LVTs move west of the tip of the Beak into the Green zone.
So, three other loaded LVTs swim around the west side of the Beak. Other LVTs move towards the east side of the Beak, drawing fire from a 37L and 75AA. Due to the screen of wrecks in the way, this fire is ineffective.
Two Stuarts, one on each side of the Beak, try to clear the wire on the beach with their treads. One passes through the wire, ending up at R8. The first becomes bogged in the wire in U10.

Defensive Fire

Red One: The uberhero in S13 with the FT finally dies on a 1MC. “He did his job.”
The HMG stack in R10 gets a 1MC on the 9-2 and friends in V11. All four pass with leader bonus and beach fanaticism. The Japanese sniper is ineffective, despite two activations. From across the cove, the 50cal gets an NMC on U12. The pinned 9-1 rolls snakes, heroic! Because of the unpinning (heroes can’t be pinned from fire effects), the squad does not reduce.

Red Two: A number of shots make a lot of noise but have no effect on the Marines. They do malfunction one MMG. The berserker in the foxhole fires with a 8FP+2, manages to break the 7-0 DC delivery guy, pins the 668 in the hex too, but the 768 passes the 1MC. A 448/LMG comes out from being concealed, fires adjacent a 12FP+2, NMC on stack. Five marine units pass their NMC, and no sniper activation. Next, a long-range shot from across the runway, 12FP+2 at the 768 CC threat, but the pair of MMGs roll an eleven, malfing one.

By Red 3, the broken squad in R36 attracts a 6FP attack for a 1MC, passed. But rate on the LMG, so it fires again with 4FP+1, another 1MC. This time the broken 668 fails and CRs. A 8FP+1 shot from the next group of MMGs over gives the broken halfsquad a 1MC, which it fails. The P41 76L hits the 10-2’s Sherman, bounces off the hull
Shot from across the taxiway, 8FP+1/+2 for a NMC on the 8-0/FT, who boxcars the roll.
Multiple mortars fire from the central palms, placing some acq onto the moved tanks. The G41 76L fires at smoked Sherman, misses wide. The F46 75 fires at a Stuart, misses. The F48 76L fires at same Stuart, turret hit with rate, burns it!

Advancing Fire: Beak: Several LVTs and passengers shoot, NE on low odds shots. The Placed DC stripes the 448, no effect on the wooden building.

Rout: Marines rout a couple of units. Japanese have only HS in T10, which only can rout into its pillbox.

Advance Phase
Beak: A crew climbs over the seawall to try to get a hold of the 81mm mortar. Other waders make their way onto the beach.

Pier
Marines go crazy, going into CC all along the Red 2 front

Close Combat
R37 Melee. At 1:1 HtH, no result!
N29 berserker vs assault engineer. Snakes for Marines!
Berserker dies, Marines create an 8-0, no attack back, remain in place on hinge of line.
O29. Japanese ambush Marines. Attack HtH
Kill 668/DC and 8-0/DC, both DCs survive
Q27. No ambush possible. Marine crew goes HtH, but rolls an 8, misses
Dies on 2:1 –2 return fire.

End turn.

Japanese killed 15CVP
Marines killed 9CVP

Japanese Turn 2

WC: NE
Reinforcements: Yes, all of TWO counters!
Repair: Fixed MMG in M17 command bunker, also fixed O28 MMG, failed on LMG and light mortar repair attempts. Fail one other MMG
Marines fail to fix their Sherman malfed MA
Rally: Japanese fail on their one rally attempt.
Marines fail on a number of DM attempts, rally a halfsquad, recover and transfer some DCs and FTs.

Prep Fire Japanese T2
Fire smoke, get a regular smoke in O34, WP smoke on Sherman in M32
Regular shots:
Beak
The T10 pillbox fires 12FP flat on the crew on barbed wire in U11, only getting a PTC. 75 AA spins one spine, fires at Stuart with –2 acq. Rolls an 11, not good enough even with all that—the seawall eats it. A low odds shot 4FP+2, gets another PTC. One squad rolls heat of pin
The 120L behind the Beak uses spotted fire, cooperating with a halfsquad in the tower, hits! Against the target on the hard sand beach, 12FP+1 for effect, snakes K/3! The K hits & Wounds the heroic 9-1 leader, but lives. Reduces 668. The Marine SAN is hot, breaking the Korean pillbox garrison on Green (ouch!). From the far side of the cove, the 50cal/9-1 hit the heroic leader with a 2MC. The Heroic 9-1 dies, so does the halfsquad.

Red Two/Three: Fire from across runway into the 8-0/768 in my foxhole in N29, 8FP flat, NMC. The leader pins, the 768 HoB, hero creation and battle hardens to fanatic!
Japanese SAN hot, hits a wader in Red 3, killing a 248. HMGs fire on lone 668, 1MC, rate, but 668 passes. Japanese SAN hot, hits 768 AE on the beach in S38, reduces it
Sniper check by surviving 1.5 squads reduces Japanese SAN by one to 5!
A series of rate shots with no effect, but finally the target 668 breaks, lose rate.
MMG stack fires at broken 668, a 1MC to reduce him
Firing down the Red Two beach from the MMG in the foxhole, at the 8-0 under the Sherman in R29, lucky shot 2MC. The 8-0 wounds, but lives. The 10-2 and 50cals in the Red Three bombproof fire at FT boy in R36, 16FP-1, 2MC. Passes! 76L in P41 bounces AP shot off of turret front of Sherman with 10-2 AL. A INF 37* fires on LVT that just made it onto the beach. Hits, bounces a possible shock off the side armor. The rate shot is an 11 of course. Other 37* had zillions of hindrances, didn’t even see its target. 76L AA in G41 bounces AP shot off of front armor of Sherman in Q36. 75 AA in F46 misses Sherman in Q36, +4 for smoke. M37 MMG stack breaks FT boy with a 8FP-1 for a 2MC, with rate. The rate shot is boxcars, malfing one MMG. First shot from a light mortar on a stuart is a critical hit! Effects roll with a 12FP-1 is a 4, immobilizing the stuart! Then a mortar barrage at V12. Hit the LVT there twice, but no effect despite –2 (OT and light armor). N22 37L fires across the cove, hits and kills an LVT! However, it had just unloaded its troops.
Down by the pier, another mortar fires on the Sherman in M32
Critical hit! Effects roll of 11, NE. Another mortar fires at marines in wooden building. Four shots, but NE. Other light mortars fire on Stuarts and Shermans, two just missed immobilize/shock results by one (need a 4 or 3 respectively). No shots from other long-range weapons (76L/75).

Movement Phase

FB run? After thought, no.
Berserker charges, attracts mortar fire from across the cove. The fire does attract the Japanese SAN, hot! Hits mortar crew in T12, which is CR’ed due to being on the beach.
Next 81mm mortar fires, boxcars! Malf. Berserker ends up in R13, not close to the enemy…
Send some reinforcements in the direction of Green beach, some Koreans from Black beach, others from reserve area. One 137 fails to make a THH, then approaches the immobilized Stuart. Send MMGs AM towards Green, FB tries Spotting TC, passes!
First hex, 12FP+1, PTC, all pass. Second hex, all-important R10, PTC.
Bomb hits! 1MC on all but the concealed crew. Two units pin, but the 9-1 and the rest are fine.
4th attempt by runway generates a THH, charges Stuart two hexes away. Squad and MMG fire, 8FP-1, boxcars! Malf MMG. Stuart fires, multiple hits, both NMCs
Other stuart fires down runway with CMG, 4FP-3. 2MC! THH passes. MA hits, but no effect. Gets into the Stuart’s location, smoke +3 counters any other fire.
Next Q37 trench makes a THH. He takes a 8FP-1 for a 1MC, passed. Long range fire from FT, boxcars! This FT will not be retained. Sherman fires at THH, misses even with –1 net despite +2 smoke. 10-2 AL Sherman fires, CH! 2MC. THH rolls boxcars to die horribly!
A 447 leaves the Command Bunker to go around, try to get at the Sherman up close. 37LL ATG fires canister, uses its last round, still a PTC on the 447, heat of pin!
Shot from MMG, 4FP-1, pins the 447 in P37, away from the Sherman. Further west, two halfsquads AM adjacent to Marines. Unit in O29 tries to place captured DC on Marines, get reduced to 238 by 1MCs. But the 668 recipient throws their own DC at the halfsquad. It rubbles their own locations!!!! [Roll a 3 on thrown DC resolution on themselves, then a 3 dr for possible rubble].
Then squad in P26 generates a THH, going for the Stuart in building bypass. Passes a NMC adjacent to the Stuart in P28. Stuart fires MA, net –1, rolls an 11! More troops hit him with a 12FP flat from MGs. 1MC, but passes. Stack adjacent fires, 36FP+0, 2MC, passed with a 7 (the 10 rolled malfs the captured Jap MMG). Rest of stack fires, some sustained fire, another 36FP+1, 4MC, no malfing. THH wounds, fatally! Another 447 in the Q38 command bunker makes a THH, charges for S38 Sherman. Gets under the wire in R38, but takes a 1MC on a 6FP-2 shot from adjacent, wounds. Fatal.
A few other moves, mostly AM. A mortar crew in the palm trees drops its malfed mortar and moves towards a WP’ed Sherman. Gets fired at by a 81mm mortar, but the smoke causes a miss.

Defensive Fire

No NOBA due to air support
Assemble a 50cal HMG in V11
Three MMGs get assembled in V10

Beak: The immobilized Stuart has –1 AL, and his MA hits R10 trench stack, 2FP +0, 1MC! The 9-1 wounds, lives, while the attack stripes 347 and 75 gun crew.
Next, 8FP+2 on R10, 1MC. Wounded 9-1 wounds again, lives. One crew stripes, 237 goes to HS. A 81mm mortar fires at berserker on the beach, hit , rate, 2MC, pass. Rate shot hit, NMC, pass

Red Two
Tank MGs get NMC on Q27. The 10-1 passes, so does the rest
MA misses, has –2 acq.
Sherman fires from M32, and the wounded leader dies in L31, the vehicle crew breaks on the 1MC. The MA fires at broken crew, killing it. Stuart turns its turret to backscratch out the O34 THH. Somehow gets a hit with MA (+5 smoke & ST TCA, -1 airfield), but the 4FP-1 for HE has no effect.
Shot off of the beach, a 4FP+3 from MMG. The Japanese SAN hot, and reduces wading 668

Advancing Fire
DC in O30 (captured) is a KIA, Flame created in O30! No other results
Wooden building in S11 goes to blaze!

Rout
Only Japanese rout was the Korean laborer in L7, going to K9

Advance Phase
Three tries for THH so far, all fail, one unit pins so no CC against Sherman. Aggressive advances into CC for N29, P29

CC
N29 Ambush for me (-3) vs (0) I ambush them!
1:4, -2, need a 7 for a CR, roll an 8! Miss. Marines don’t.
O29 Ambush mods (-1) vs (+3) No ambush
1:2, -1, kill the 348 HS
Attack back from the Stuart malfs the CMG
O34 THH vs Stuart
No ATMM. Rolls a 9, would have missed anyone.
R37 Melee
1:1 HtH, everybody dies

Turn ends
Marines killed 10CVP
Japanese killed 15CVP
Total according to Carl,
Japanese killed 76CVP
Marines killed 49CVP
8THH used

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
M T3, J T3

Marine Turn 3

No planes, so no worries about air support.
No wind change
Repair: Disabled the CMG on Stuart in bypass in P29, and repaired S30 81mm mortar for second time
Japanese: Recover FT on Beak beach, DC in O29, but X out MMG in M37.
Rallies
Marines rally 9-2, 9-1. A Halfsquad rolls boxcars. A DM broken 7-0 tries to self-rally, wounds, lives

Prep
No ordnance smoke
NOBA: R29 SFCP has radio contact to the 120s, pulls a red chit. T34 SFCP has radio contact to the 200s, pulls another red chit! Serious questions about ability of chit draw system
Regular Fire
Beak: 81mm mortar fires at berserker on R13 beach. Hit, K/2! Reduces the berserk 448. A 81mm mortar stripes 347 with captured FT in S13. Several 60mm mortars fire at the FT reduced squad, hitting five times for NE. U12 stuart fires both MGs, 6FP+2. Boxcars! Malf CMG. Had already disabled his MA. The 9-2 leads 50cal on FT guy, 16FP+2. A 3MC, reduced to second line HS, but didn’t ELR. R8 Stuart fires CMG at R10, rolls a 3 for a 1MC! But everybody passes! 10-0, wounded leader, three crews plus a 2nd line HS. The MA 37LL hits, for a NMC. The NMC rewounds 9-1, lives! 2nd line hs rolls boxcars! Dies

Red Two
For what I am about to receive… Sherman fires BMG, 2FP+2, gets a 3 for a NMC. MMG squad passes. Squad fires 12FP+1 at advance HS in debris Q29. HS breaks… 60mm mortar fires at key trench, Q27. Four shots, three hits, one NMC. One crew pins, 10-1 almost wounds. O30 halfsquad breaks on point-blank 20FP+2, 1MC. O29 eats a 1MC from the fanatics, 16FP+1. 9-1 wounds, but lives, a 448 stripes. DC thrown by 8-0 to O29, 30FP+4, 1MC. Wounded 9-1 wounds again, fatally. Striped 348 reduces to HS. Superstack Q30 fires at Q27 trench, 30FP+3. Snakes! 1KIA! Random selection for the KIA picks both 50cal crews! Random SW destruction picks both 50cals! And the striped squad reduced to HS. The 10-1 wounds, fatally. Rate shot, 30FP+1 adjacent, 3MC, passes. Rate again, K, halfsquad in melee dies.

Red Three
24FP+1, pointblank, 2MC, from S36 onto R36. The 238 passes! Rate shot, boxcars! MMG malfunctions. This HS survives a pointblank hit by 37LL ATG, a 1MC
But then S37 fires, 20FP flat. Rolled another 3, for a KIA. Random SW destruction takes out LMG too. A 4FP+1 is a NMC, stripes a 447. FT fires long range, 12FP+1, 2MC. This breaks both halfsquads. The Sherman with –2 AL fires, misses! Other Stuarts and 37LL ATGs fire, no results beyond acquisition

Movement Phase
U10 Stuart unbogs handily from the wire. CE crew, so 347 fires IFT. Snakes! But no effect on the crew. Vehicle crew then throws out smoke grenades in T9. Fires MG & canister, but NE. Stops in S9, sitting there being a pita. A loaded LVT moves to T9, Marine platoon goes CE, as unable to unload. The mortar crew trying to get to the 81mm mortar pins getting under wire, survives 12FP-1…
Several LVTs move around the top of the beak, end in motion in the water. A LVT with two squads and a SFCP unloads at tip of Beak, V10. The 37L in O15 kills a LVT in the water, despite two hindrances! Most of the MG halfsquads survive to bail out. But, the MMG from command bunker fires, NMC, rate, 2MC. Crew with 50 cal dies, as well as halfsquad with MMG. Fire MMG through burning vehicle, smoke, malfunction the MMG!

Red Two
Fire Ha-Go at wading Stuart. Critical hit! Snakes on resolution! Burning wreck! Back to back luck.
A Stuart without a pathfinder bogs two hexes out in the water. Sherman clears the wire in R28. Declares ESB, ends up stopped in R27. Stuart moving in the water, rolls snakes on bog check. Two more LVTs unload just above the pier. Stuart that had been in bypass moves into P28 debris, passes the bog roll, and then malfunctions its MA. The Sherman on runway starts up, goes adjacent to 447 near the fanatic 768. The 447 passes a 1MC. Then a Stuart makes a run at same 447. MGs NMC NE, MA hit with rate, PTC, pass! Another Stuart runs at the 447 in the palms. MGs get a PTC, passed! And yet another Stuart goes for the 447, but through Marine foxhole in N29 this time. The MGs deliver a 1MC, which is passed! This Stuart does VBM of the building in O29, despite +3 ESB attempt (21MP). No immobilization on this DR.
Both the HS and the squad make THHs!! Total up to 10 now. First THH has an ATMM, rolls a 4 to get a net –2 DRM, burns the Stuart! Now, do the Japanese MMCs get marked with a First Fire counter?
Sherman in O36 starts up, gets killed by 76L! Rolled a 3! Due to quick brew-up, burns!
A LVT unloads on Red Three by the pier, carrying another 37LL ATG.
Last, a rallied 8-0 leader with DC runs towards the buildings, not enough MF to get there with his candygram.

DefFire

Beak
The R10 75 puts two rounds into the seawall, trying to nail that Stuart. The pair of HMGs fire from same trench, one malfunctions. A two squad/MMG stack on CE LVT passengers, and the NMC breaks two of the squads. The 120L AA moves its spotted fire acq up the beach, onto large Marine stack. The potential mortar crew at the tip of the Beak laughs at its 1MC, rolling a 3. The O15 37L kills departing LVT, no burning wreck this time.
A light mortar gets CH on stack on the beach. Won by 348 HS. It is a regular hit against the LVT. 2FP+1, 12FP-1, LVT 2FP-2. Snakes again on the effect roll! The LVT burns! Held several MG halfsquads.
The 0.50cal HMG on the bottom of the cove fires a rate string, five shots, wader passes all four 1MC/NMCs.

Red 2
The beach foxhole MMG re-wounds 8-0, but he passes the wound survival again. But the bad leadership mod causes the 248 with him to fail his 1MC, dying. The best shot on that part of the perimeter, a 16FP+1, breaks one 668. Complete the encirclement on the Hero and fanatic 768 in N29, 12FP+4 from smoked guys adjacent completes for 1MC
Hero wounds but lives, 8-0 and 768 break. 8FP flat from across runway kills the hero, wounds the 8-0, reduces the squad.

Center
A 8FP-1 (negative mods after tanks moved away and smoke cleared) breaks a 668.
MGs fire, no effects. 10-2 leads his 0.50cals, causes NMC/PTC.
The Red Three 76L fires at 10-2 AL Sherman, hit in the hull! 13TK vs 8 armor, roll a 4 for a wreck! No crew survival! 10-2 is dead!
Command bunker fires, NMC wounds a 9-1 behind the seawall, but he lives. An INF 37* shifts from hopeless shots to close range infantry. Hit, but boxcars on effect. A second 37* fires at S38, hit, lucky 1MC result, reduces halfsquad. Finish off with some mortars and a 1FP+1 on a wader.

Advancing Fire
Thrown DC at my wooden building, No rubble, and a 2MC, pins my halfsquad. The full squad passes! The 30FP+6 attack back on the 8-1 has no effect. LVTs fire at adjacent trench occupants, pass a NMC

Rout
N29 troops, die FTR (fanatic 348 AE, broken wounded 8-0)
Japanese lose two elite halfsquads

Advance Phase
490 dead Marines at this point
Lots of advancing, but none into close combat

End of Player turn

Start Japanese Turn 3
490 CVP of Marines.
242 CVP of dead Japanese.

Rally:
No reinforcements, and No WC effect.
Fail to repair Beak HMG, but repair cove MMG, recover another from Command Bunker. X out MMG on south side of runway.
Marines can’t find MMG in S36, then X out another in P31. Meanwhile, the R28 Sherman fails to fix itself

Actual Rally
Self rally elite halfsquad in Beak pillbox, plus conscript halfsquad in the open (rolled a 3)
In the bombproof, the 10-2 rallies two halfsquads (or else).
A string of Marines fail to rally, until one in R29 rolls snakes and makes a hero.

Prep
Remove lots of old smoke
No new smoke

Beak: The R10 75 AA hits hull-down stuart (4,6), burns it with a 4! A 16FP+2 on the tip mortar crew, who are saved by their newly found emplacement. Other squads fire on CE LVT, where a 668 rolls boxcars on 1MC. A MG TK attempt on a point-blank LVT bounces. A MMG TK attempt on LVT, boxcars! Malf A second MMG shot bounces. On the east side of the cove, a 75 AA fires on waders. No effect on the first shot, but a rate shot also hits, with the 668 passes asecond 1MC, but the 6+1 leader dies of wounds. The 50cal HMG on far side of cove finally kills 248 wader, after entire IJA fires at this guy. It has two more rate shots, then roll boxcars to malf

Red 2
HaGo fires at bogged Stuart. Possible shock, yes!
From an adjacent pillbox, 448/MMG wound the 8-0 on the beach under the Sherman again, but he is still alive! At least four wounds now. Squad fires two MMGs at 248 in palm, 8FP-1 with leader. Malf one MMG!
Red Three
Command bunker fires at seawall beach, the shot wounds 9-1 (lives). An INF 37* fires at S37, reduces 768. The 10-2 & 50cal stack hits beach hex, 16FP+1/0, causes 2MCs & 1MCs. 37LL gun crew fails.
The usual mortar shots are bad, one mortar, hit with rate. Effects is boxcars! Atrocious dice!

MPh
Berserker along cove beach runs through various mortar explosions. He is finally wiped out by tank BMG 6FP flat. FT boy assault-moves down beach, eats 1MC. HoB! Berserk! He charges into hex with Stuart, survives shot from 9-2/0.50cal. A stack of waders fires, 8FP flat. NE. The berserker makes it into the hex with the Stuart. On top of wire, tries to go under, rolls a 1 to get under wire just fine. Except for the 2FP residual, where Carl rolls a 3 to kill him!
Near the tip of the Beak, a 237 leaves pillbox into connecting trench and generates THH. The THH enters beach hex, eats 12FP-2 for a 1MC. Wounds, but lives. Every wading LVT in sight fires. One LVT fires 6FP flat, boxcars so MA on LVT malfs. The THH eats a 36FP flat from LVT in hex itself. The THH takes the anti-vehicle attack right away, rolls a 9 (CCV of 5, +1 pinned, -2 OT) for a miss, oh well.

In the center, start with moving the halfsquads from the 10-2 bombproof. One 237 moves fine along the trench, but the 238 runs along runway, takes 8FP-1 from beach, snakes! That was a KIA. Given that, I send reserve halfsquad into the runway, but he eats a4FP-1 and breaks on 1MC.
Moving back to the middle, the squad in N28 tries to make a THH, fails, gets pinned, so now he can't take control of the Ami foxhole adjacent! Argh. G27 succeeds in making a THH, but he wounds crossing runway, dies in shame unable to reach his target. Next, a Korean construction worker double-times across the runway. Another MMC in K25 succeeds in making THH, who charges the Sherman in the runway. He makes it into the hex with the Sherman, then is backscratched by a Stuart, the THH is wounded, and dies.
Back up to the top of map, a crew goes for a run onto the beach, double-time, using smoke from burning wrecks as cover. He eats some fire but remains unpinned. If only crews could generate THH, but that is limited to squads and halfsquads.
Some other reserves heading for the front, trying to deal with the infantry shortage on Red 2, but they don’t move very fast in the dense terrain.

DefFire
One mortar tries WP, uses its last round and misses.
NOBA: SFCPs try for radio contact, but nobody home, two tries! The third try passes on Beak. The V10 director has access, and calls in indirect SR (as opposed to direct fire option), which scatters into the water.
Regular fire
Down in the center first. By the pier, a 0.50cal misses adjacent Japanese halfsquads. Then one of the 37LL ATGs fires, snakes! We have a big debate over whether was a CH or not, decided it was, but the effects DR, boxcars! A 60mm mortar fires on building on the far side of the runway with 9-1/348/MMG, snakes! Critical hit, yahtzee on random selection! The effects roll on 16FP-2 is a 4, 2KIA. This kills the 9-1 and the striped 348. After two ineffective rate shots, the fourth shot is boxcars to malf.
On the runway, the tanks fire in all directions, manage to pin one crew. The P27 HMG stack takes a NMC, but all pass. A more effective shot is a 30FP+4 on the HMG stack, a DR of 4 yields a 3MC. The 9-1 wounds, lives, while the 447 and 228 crew stripe. Following that, a 60mm mortar shoots, boxcars! Malfs. There is a lot of clicking noises, as a major assembly of MGs, several MMGs and a few 050cals, takes place. A tank CMG fires at pillbox, 1MC! This stripes the 448 in Q28.
The HaGo on Red 2 tries to dodge AT shot from the wading Stuarts. One 37LL shot misses by one because in the back of the pack, only one of several. A Sherman fires at pointblank range at the 237 in the Q trench, snakes on a NMC, HoB! Berserk!
Mar SAN warm, pins 120L observer in tower. A bit late now.
Up on the Beak, a Cannister hit causes a PTC to the R10 trench, but the Japanese SAN is hot, and the sniper reaches out to a wading 228 carrying 81mm mortar. That is 4CVP there. Another shot causes a 1MC on R10 trench, that stripes one crew, while the second crew rolls snakes, no HoB for him though. The third crew rolls boxcars and and is gone.

Advancing Fire
A 4FP+1 shot pins a 248/50cal in middle, adjacent to live Japanese. The Terrain blazes do not spread, even in connecting wooden rubble

Rout
Japanese have one broken HS, routs into bombproof with 10-2
Marines decide not to break the CX pinned 248/50cal, adjacent to stealthy MMCs…

Advance Phase

Beak
Advance 238 in with LVT on beak, fails to make a THH. Advance CX 228 in with tank and LVT, while a reserve crew advances in to take over the 75AA.
In Red 2, 238/mmg makes a THH against Stuart with malfed MMG. That is the 14th THH, while a 448/mmg makes one too.
A 347 advances in with a burning Sherman wreck, to see if it can recover the malfed 81mm mortar and destroy it (2CVP). And a 237 advances in with pinned CX marine HS/50cal HMG. Lastly, in a move destined to be absurd, the 10-0 advances out from ICB, try to pick up the American DC left unpossessed adjacent, in a pile of corpses from both sides.

Close Combat
R36
237 kills 238, but 238 killed 237 too!
P28
Two THH against maimed Stuart. First THH, misses ATMM, misses attack. Second THH, same thing!
T9
237 against LVT
CCV of 3, -2 for OT. Rolled a 4! LVT dies, so does broken HS passenger.

S9
CX crew on motion LVT, overstacked, no MGs manned. Miss (needs a 4, mods are +3 and –3). The Stuart attacks back, just misses due to overstack penalty.

510CVP
252CVP

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Marine Turn 4

Marine Turn 4
Rally
Air Support: None
WC: NE
Repair/recovery/transfers: Marines fail to repair two mortars, but a Stuart fixes its MA!
Japanese X out MMG, then X out HMG from R10 trench. The spare crew recovers the 75AA in the same R10 trench. Fail to fix the 50cal in P22 cove crossfire position. But in R37, the 10-0 can’t find the DC in the hex! Covered with corpses…
[Desired feature: have each hex with a broken unit be highlighted, for ease of finding]
Rallies: Marines fail to rally two MMCs on beak
Do rally two units by pier
Japanese halfsquad in bombproof rolls snakes, would go berserk, but in bombproof counts as pillbox, so the 237 goes 238 battle-hardening.
Only roll for Japanese.
Shocked Stuart in water recovers, unfortunately….

Prep
Ordnance smoke
Recovered 81mm mortar on Beak tries to fire WP, turns out not to have any.
NOBA: V10 SFCP barely maintains contact
120mm NOBA shifts to N8, drops as HE FFE. Scatters to O9. While observer can’t see ground level of O9, does see the SR height. A 1mc on a crew, passed. The attack on the observation tower causes a debate. The ground level definitely takes a 12FP attack. The level two location is occupied, but does it take a 24FP for wooden building or 12FP attack for soft sand?
Get back to it, as either a 1MC or a 3MC, which results in either a passed morale check or a broken halfsquad… A quick email to Perry, and he replies within an hour!! Wow! The attack should be resolved with 12FP, halved due to the soft sand. Score one for the good guys…
The FFE attack on N10 causes a flame! Almost rubbled. This flame could cause lots of problems later.
Down south, a SFCP rolls boxcars on contact. Eliminated, will enter first wave of next scenario.

Regular prep:
Stuart fires at own hex, Japanese crew, snakes!
Subsequent roll not a CH, the effects roll is high, so no effect
The rate shot from the 37LL, boxcars! Malf.
Stuarts in the water volley fire at Ha-Go on Red 2, the only shot that is close is the one from the 9-2 AL, missed by one. Sherman on beach fires at the Ha-Go, boxcars! Malf.
A 81mm mortar fires at R23, hits well, reducing striped squad to halfsquad. Stuart in P28 fires on MMGs in O28. Hit, but no effect, same for its MGs. Sherman on beach fires into pillbox with CMG, reduced squad to HS. A big 30FP+4 shot on P27, my HMG stack, from Q30, is a 3MC, which stripes crew, 347 pins, other crew and leader pass! The Japanese SAN is warm on bottom half of map, and I choose to move sniper over to the N30 area, front line. The rate shot, snakes! 16FP+4, 2MC. My wounded 9-1 dies on second wound. One crew rolls snakes on his MC, not HoB, while the other crew breaks. Except for that run at my HMG stack, Carl’s attack dice stink!
A 6FP+1 on the stupid 10-0 in R37, leader wounds on 1MC! But lives. A FT fires at 348 long range, Xed out, but kept for next scenario on DR of 10. The Q37 trench 348 attracts more attention, including both 37LL ATGs, for no effect. The R37 wounded 10-0 wounds again on 20FP+1, but still lives!

MPh
LVTs west of Beak, move. One unloads in Q8. Second stops one hex out, fires MGs, K result kills the crew on the beach. That counterattack wasn’t a good idea. Another LVT unloads on beach, in with the Japanese 237 who was pinned previously and can’t do a damn thing about it. Pacifism plus two squads of Marines don’t mix. Two more LVTs unload in water one hex out from Green side of Beak. Another LVT goes onto the beach, pops some infantry smoke, and unloads. Total of 5 LVTs unload, one other failed its drop off in the water TC. Infantry move along east side of Beak, and 37L fires from across the cove. Boxcars! Malf the gun on a low odds shot! Ack! The Stuart on the east side of Red 1 starts, moves through wire in U12 to try to clear it out. Bog check, snakes! Wire is gone in U12. Marine squad wades, both MMGs from the command bunker fire. Boxcars! Malf one MMG
Other waders move towards the tip of the Beak, using burnt-out wrecks for cover. A barrage of 50mm mortar rounds lands, with lots of rate, but no effect.

Red 2
Sherman starts up, moves towards west, tries to clear wire, but no effect. It then moves adjacent to my Ha-Go, while still on the beach, and tries bounding fire. It pulls off rate on the first shot but misses, then hits with a 3 on the second shot! Burns! Four LVTs that have unloaded turn and head for home. One rallied assault group (hero, 668, 348) leaves their captured pillbox and head for front line

Red 3
LVT unloads two SFCP. A series of 248 HS/MMGs move east using trenches and captured pillboxes down to S35. A 37LL ATG unloads from LVT next to the pier.

Stuart in middle of taxiway starts, fends off one 50mm mortar round. Third mortar fires, boxcars! Malfed. Runs across the runway, going totally unsupported against several Japanese squads. MGs fire, 6FP+2. 1MC! 9-1 leader fails his roll, dies of his wounds. 448 stripes. Then the Stuart moves back to where he started. Second Stuart moves for similar situation, fires canister for no effect. Goes back near to where it started, forming a hedgehog with the other two tanks.

DefFire
Long range shots from 75 west on Black beach, 76L east, against two Stuarts in their hedgehog. Miss, but acq is placed. Two INF 37*s fire on Red 3, multiple shots finally cause a 1MC that is failed by a 348 AE. My 347 destroys the captured 81mm mortar, for 2CVP. Island command bunker stack fires, 24FP+2. Snakes! This kills a 668 outright, rewounds 9-1, who lives. The HMG rate shot is a NMC on a big stack, no result except for a squad HoB, generating a hero. Next shot from MMG hex, malfs one MMG. 10-2 and 50cals fire, get a NMC on stack, all pass just fine. Lots of other shots, no results on west side of pier

Beak
9-1 leads MMG shot on wading Marine squad. The Japanese SAN is hot, and zooms in to kill a SFCP by pier, also STUNs LVT on a subsequent sniper attack dr, but really not much effect in BRT. He was leaving anyway. The MMG has a rate shot, 4FP flat, snakes! K/2 to Reduce 668. The Marine SAN is hot, and he reduces a striped 347 to halfsquad in Q36. The 348 HS passes on the 2MC, almost activating the Japanese sniper again.
The dual 12.7 AA in the center of the cover fires with lots of rate, gets four NMCs, all passed. A Beak pillbox fires on 81mm crew and 8-0, a PTC on crew, passed, but the Japanese SAN is hot again. And to show that there is no justice in ASL, the sniper aims at the the luckless wading halfsquad in V13, who barely managed to survive the K/2 result a moment ago.
The R10 HMG fires at a stack in T9, for a PTC, draws a sniper. The Japanese SAN is hot again, and the central sniper breaks a MMG halfsquad in S35. From R10 also, the AA75 shoots at the Stuart, bounces off seawall. Intensive fire, bounces again. A 12FP shot from the left flank gets a 1MC on a stack on the beach, wounding a 9-1 leader, lives, while reducing a 668.
Spotted 120L fire, observed by the halfsquad in the tower that survived due to Perry’s ruling, snakes! Critical hit on somebody in there, as my broken MMC was in there too. Random selection picks the LVT and my broken halfsquad! Resolution roll, snakes! Burns LVT, K/3 on the rest. Oh, my halfsquad was obliterated. That was the third time this 120L gun has had snakes on its effects roll… For the 3MC, leader and squad pass with flying colors, the squad HoB for hero and battle-hardening!
Remember that justice comment? The Marine SAN was hot, and active near the pier. He Kills the stupid not-DC wounded 10-0 leader in R37!
A mortar hex (347 with two 50mm mortars) fires from cove, places acq on the beach of Red 1, to ‘persuade’ the Marines not to advance any farther south.

Central area: A mortar fires on wooden rubble by pier, snakes another critical hit! The 12FP-2 causes a 2MC, passed. Two more shots have no effect

Advancing Fire
20FP+1 on pinned halfsquad in same hex of R8, no effect. A motion LVT fires its MGs into the CC in R8, boxcars. Malf both the MA plus the starboard SA. No other results on the Beak
Down by Red 2, No results
Blaze spreads into P30 and O31 for flames.

Rout
Broken Japanese crew in P27 dies FTR, due to the tanks adjacent, behind, and on the beach.

Advance
Beak
Halfsquads advance onto the pillbox in Q9. Another batch of marines, some fanatic, plus a hero, get into S10, on top of the trench, (if they went into trench, would have been CX) on top of the pillbox. More marines into T10, on top of the pillbox there. Another squad plus a 9-2 go into T11, but the pillbox there is unoccupied.
Lots of waders plod one more step towards the beach

Red 2 & 3
Another hero and friends goes on top of the Q28 pillbox. More CC in Q36, a halfsquad goes to engage my mortar-killing halfsquad. Otherwise, lots of halfsquads advance down to bolster that end of the beachhead.

CC
Q9, my HS dies.
S10, 3:2 –2 for leader and hero, miss!
1:2 back, snakes! Withdraw out to friendly trench in R10
This kills fanatic 348, hero, and 9-1
R8 my HS dies
T10 1:1 odds, both sides miss.
Q28, 6:1. My HS dies

Q36, 1:1 My HS dies!

Japanese get 15CVP this turn
Marines get 22CVP this turn

For the CG
Japanese have 525 CVP
Marines have 274 CVP

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Japanese Turn 4

Continuing our BRT CGIII, 20PM, finishing up Turn 4

Japanese Turn 4
Restart April 9, 2005
WC no effect
Reinforcements: yes! 11 counters!
Pick a couple of 9-0 leaders, some 448s, some 447s, and a couple of knee mortars

Rally
Repair no result on 37L, 50cal, but successful on the MMG
Do repair another 50mm mortar though
Marines: S9 Stuart fixes its MA, and an LVT fixes its MA MG too
Marines rally a couple of squads. Japanese have no broken units, they all died.

Prep
Remove one dispersed smoke
Learned some cool features about LOS hindrances, and the VASL preferences.
No ordnance smoke
Throw DC out the window of the T10 bunker, break one 668, other and 9-1 pass
50mm mortar gets rate three times! Four shots, pins one halfsquad.
Then snakes on 8FP+2! The Marine sniper warm, pins a 348.
The real shot reduces a 668 on the beach
Rate shot is a NMC, but leader and four MMCs all pass
Second rate shot is a 1MC on adjacent HS, but he passes too!
The R10 75 gets turret hit on Stuart in S9, Burns!
Spotted fire from 120L misses, all the smoke made mods nearly impossible.
37L in O15 bounces round off of Stuart front turret, the rate shot bounces off of the hull
O15 pillbox kills the halfsquad holding the FT in S9
MMGs from command bunker fire at wader, get three MCs, passes each time
E16 75 fires at runway Stuart, misses.
G41 76L tries to fire at other Stuart, but the intervening tank hindrance blocks. Arrgh!

Red 2:
30FP+1 from HMG stack on pillbox killers, K/4! The K reduces a 668, 4MC breaks two halfsquads.
Rate shot 4MC which kills a broken 348. The other broken 348 snakes, HoB, battle-harden/fanatic & hero added to hero already there!
Rate shot from lone HMG, NMC, which activates a couple of Japanese snipers. The second Japanese SAN warm, picks out a 9-1 leader from a crowd! Wounds, lives.
Back to the NMC, the broken HS dies, leaving a fanatic halfsquad and two heroes behind.
Surviving squad in the sniper attack hex does sniper check while wading, NE.
Fourth shot, finally lose rate
37* fires on bogged stuart in water. Multiple hits! And no effect.

Red 3:
10-2 leads two 50cals, fires on stack of four HS on the beach. Kills two of them!
Command bunker fires, 24FP+2. A 3! K/4! K to the squad, 9-1 wounds again, fatally. HS dies for breaking on the beach.
Rate shot, 20FP+1, malfs the MMG
Swarm of mortars fire, no real result

MPh
Berserker in Q28 charges the adjacent heroes and halfsquad, avoids dying in a 6FP-3 (two heroes)
Another 1MC from a tank CMG, pass
The firebase in Q30 fires, 30FP flat, rolling a ten for a 2MC
Which the halfsquad dies for...
Crew runs onto the Ami controlled beach in R38, but stupidly double-times, so he can't move under the wire. Duh!
Start moving some troops from southern coast over across the runway while the planes are not around. other troops move west
348 in the foxhole/wall makes a THH to run across the runway, THH number 16, but Dies from Sherman CMG shot
G27 squad makes a THH, #17, across the runway
It is KIAed on the first runway hex, net 2KIA.
Other Korean units move towards battle

Up on the Beak, a wounded 8-0 moves out of the R10 trench to cut off some rout routes. He eats a couple of 2/4 FP attacks, then passes a 2MC on a 8FP-2 shot! One other shot, a 2FP shot, is boxcars.
A 20FP+2 shot causes a 1MC, pass! He lives, for now.

Move reinforcements on board, clear out space for more

Defensive Fire
NOBA: Contact for SFCP in R8
120mm is corrected 3 hexes, automatically inaccurate, drifts to SE, into
Japanese backfield in P11
No result on any terrain targets
No 200mm NOBA stuff

Beak:
1FP flat, possible Japanese sniper, NE
A 8FP+2 from adjacent beach, shrouded in smoke, boxcars!
Now 24FP+1 from adjacent smoky beach, with 10-2, 2MC, pass!
R12 squad in foxhole, targeted by two -2 leaders, trapped, but only flips on 12FP-1 shots.
Lots of MGs get assembled.

Center
Stuart fires 6FP+1 at crew with 37*, snakes! K/2
Sherman MGs stripes 447 on Red 2. MA hit same target
Japanese SAN warm, pins the Q36 halfsquad (CC threat now).
PTC, boxcars! Ha!
Hero hex hits HMG stack, reduces 347 to halfsquad, pins the crew
81mm mortar firing across cove reduces striped 2nd liner to halfsquad
Stuart in P28 intensive fire, gets multiple hits, NMC, no effect.
Runway Stuart uses its last round of canister, no effect
Last Stuart cranks turret around, takes low odds shot, boxcars! Malf MA
Sherman cranks turret around, intensive fires at adjacent squad, misses.
Stack of MGs in S35, 20FP fires at mortar crew.
Japanese SAN hot, goes to R36 and kills the hero manning the 0.50 cal HMG!
Rate several times, series of 1MC and 2MC, crew passes them all!
Last shot, 1MC, snakes! No HoB for crew
LVT fires lots at the crew on the beach in R38, but the crew only pins

Advancing Fire

first shot, 1FP+2, boxcars! Better than on a real shot, right?
Opp fire 12FP stack on Beak, reduces broken halfsquad in Q9, breaking the good order guy

P30 rubble flame goes to blaze
No other flames created, even by the bypass burning tank.

Rout
No Japanese routs
Marines rout some on Beak, none down by the central region

Advance
Troops move up on Red 3
447 leaves the command bunker into no-mans land (where several other units have died before, plus the hot-potato of a unpossessed Marine DC, the one the 10-0 failed to get before...)
one 447 fails to make a THH while next to a Sherman on the runway, then advances in the other direction (chicken!)
but the O28 448 makes a THH to go visit the Stuart in P28, #18
Troops head down Red 2 toward front line
Stupid move into NOBA extra hex stripes 448 on beak

CC
S10 leader vs HS
Wounded leader kills the HS, but the HS misses the leader!
T10, HS against Marine squad and leader
1:4 -1 fails, but the Marines don't fail on their attack back
P28 THH vs. Stuart
THH has a ATMM, and kills the Stuart! This THH came from the same squad that made a previous THH, and he too had a ATMM! I guess the only guys on the island with the training...
Q36 HS vs HS in the smoke
Japanese kill the Marines
Marines roll snakes back
Carl snakes
Leader creation! Make an 8-0, who does not change the odds, and dies anyway, extra CVP!
End of turn.

Japanese killed 25CVP this turn
Marines killed 7CVP this turn.

In this CGS:
Japanese have killed 179 CVP
Marines have killed 105 CVP

Japanese have 550 CVP for the CG
Marines have 281 CVP for the CG

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brt Aar

Jim as I had mentioned on YASL, GREAT AAR!! :devil:

How do you keep such notes? Have you hired a scribe or use technology!!? ;)

How about pictures?? I need PICTURES! :D