BRT CG III AAR

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Slaughter in the Water continued...and becomes a messy land battle.
The fighting is mostly in the RB2 area and each player turn is taking about 2 hours, so overall things are speeding up.

US T1 – It’s going to be a battle for the middle of the island. The IJA are stacked mostly one squad to a hex, but we got some planes! 3 lovely planes! Some WP to start worked well but there was a HOB for the IJA and a SAN killed an 8-1 of mine. Lots of ROF from mortars and MGs was very good – lots of stripes around and even a few kills. There was also lots of acq for later if the IJA hangs around. One mortar scored a CH on a bombproof and I killed a Ha-Go with a Stuart. Movement went smoothly and everyone made it safely on board. The front lines are thin for both of us, but the IJA stripes while the US breaks - so mine is more fragile at the moment.

IJA T1 – I am concerned about my front line. I would not put it past the IJA to fire everything and charge and try and wipe me out in one turn, forcing me to take back the beaches. 3 x 347s were added to the IJA reinforcement pool. No extras to bring on though. Prep cost me two Stuarts and another was shocked – I always seem to fail Possible Shocks! About half of the front line ended up as broken too, so the guys remaining (and the planes) are going to have to kill a whole bunch of IJA. Another Stuart went down to a THH that managed to get an ATMM. Lots of IJA assault moved to close the front line gaps and get in close with my guys. The planes did a very little bit of damage but nothing significant. A leader of mine threw a DC and caused some ELRs and casualties for a big stack of IJA ready to assault my line. The roll vs my hex broke and wounded the leader that threw it but caused the broken squad to rally and go berserk. This unit then fired on the same stack with good results. My 9-2 AL in a Stuart killed an IJA tank and my MGs along the line killed, pinned, broke and striped a whole bunch of IJA squads which was very good news and surely saved some of my guys. CC went about 50/50 - it's deadly on this island.

US T2 – One plane only, but better than nothing. Prep went ok with lots of ROF but a few SANs in return. Movement was pain free except the berserker who died in the hex he moved into. One LVT made it off the map and a bunch made it on to RB2 but without enough MPs to unload this turn.The pier is very busy and parts are overstacked but it’s good for the advance phase at least. There was some heavy AA but it missed the plane. The RB1 wrecks are providing a lot of cover for the troops on RB2 and those landing there. The IJA rolled a few snakes – cost me some units as well as the 9-2AL in the Stuart. This was when the deadly stack of 9-2/668wHMG+MMG/768wFT+HMG went down. A sad moment – those guys were doing good work. By the end of DFire all I had was a broken 668 and a bunch of MGs and an unpossessed FT. There are so many SW on each side it’s madness. Lots of routing and no CC, I can’t afford to do any until my reinforcements arrive on the front line.

IJA T2 – The IJA received 9 counters as reinforcements – two leaders and seven squads were chosen. There were some good rallies for me, but half my front line of RB2 went down to the IJA prep then there was a general movement to my guys. Nasty stuff and a berserker got into a PB with me on RB3. My sole FB hit the 140L with a bomb but the crew passed the 2MC, so zero result there. DFire saved a few of my guys and did a bit of damage but not nearly enough. An LVT malfed the MA and one of the 4FP MGs. A few Korean units died FTR, which was nice then it was just a matter of how many guys I lost in CC. I’ve lost a bit of terrain – but how many squads? I am lucky that my guys will be unloading next turn and more new guys will be coming on – I need them desperately. This turn was low on casualties but I have a lot of broken guys that need to recover, and a lot of my good SW will soon be in IJA hands if he can get them in the next rally phase.

US T3 – LETS HOPE FOR SOME NOBA TOO! No planes, and I killed a crew and CRd a squad in the rally phase. Almost no rallies, and the IJA just pick up a bucket load of my SW. Very average prep fire, I got a few guys but not nearly enough – I’m really going to suffer I think. In movement I got a lot of new guys onto the beach, exited some LVTs (though one was lost on RB2), and all my reinfs got on unscathed. I tried to place two DCs, but only one was successful, but at least it was on the biggest stack. IJA malfed a FT of mine he captured, but still killed a HS with it. At one stage I had six leaders in a stack – just had to get them all into position where they can get at the IJA, no matter what. The IJA fired a lot of shots and scored a few critical hits – this is depressing. I lost two squads for FTR, both 668s. There were a few CCs and we lost a bit each, but no breakthroughs took place. The front line is a mixed mess. I have a bunch of broken units hiding in pillboxes adjacent to the beach. They are temporarily safe but have to rally soon or it'll be all over for them.

The image is the map at the end of 20PM US T3. This would be a nightmare to play FTF with counters, it's hard enough on VASL.
This is definitely hardcore ASL and the US player's PMC is tested repeatedly. At this stage, a few good rolls for the IJA in the right places and the US may collapse.

The US have now lost 501 (+79) CVP and the IJA have now lost 212 (+65) CVP. CVP losses in brackets are those suffered in the second scenario.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
After a festive break we return you to the sunny, yet bloody, shores of Tarawa....

IJA T3 – 8 counters of reinforcements were received for the IJA (2 x 9-1 6 x 448). The 8 inch gun firing at my guys on the pier malfed – that probably saved a whole bunch of guys since I was overstacked in a few hexes. There were lots of shots but there are so many hindrances that it’s hard to hit the USMC at the moment until they get closer to the airfield itself and we’re shooting at each other across open ground. I’ll be lucky if I get that far this scenario. To illustrate how bad things are the IJA made a counterattack along the beach of RB2. The IJA tanks advanced into the palm trees in numerous locations. DFire caused a few casualties as the IJA got too close to the pier – and that may have saved some of my guys. At the end of DFire the USMC had killed more CVP than the IJA but then came CC. The front line was very thin and almost reduced to only the pier.

US T4 – One plane arrived and the NOBA had to leave – just as I was about to drop a FFE on the palm tree triangle between the runways. One squad in a pillbox self rallied as did a SFCP but that’s all. I caused a few casualties in prep and most of the rest was assault moving or advancing through trenches to try and break the IJA front line. It’s a worthy risk. The IJA with my FT broke it and the follow up was NE too, so that was a relief. DFire wasn’t too bad and there were a lot of advances to try and clean the IJA right up before my next wave hits RB2 on my T5. Most were fizzers, meaning there will be a lot more next turn, but I did get a few units and immobilised a tank. This CG will definitely not go the full distance!

IJA T4 – 5 counters of reinforcements were taken as four squads and a leader. The USMC got some troops back in rally but also lost a HS to a 6,6. In prep I didn’t suffer too badly but my SAN was reduced to 2 which is a PITA. HOBs got me a fanatic squad in one location and a hero in another. Firing into a melee cost the IJA a 348 and my 668 came out pinned only. A stack of leader and three squads were hit by a plane running up the beach and he hit them twice with MGs and then with a bomb – reducing the stack to a wounded leader and three HS. My SAN was reduced to zero in my DFPh, it will have to come back next CG date. There was a lot of advancing into CC again – this will make or break our lines either way – who will be left? Luckily, it mostly went my way. The key was a 768 killing three squads and two leaders and surviving for next turn. He’ll be able to grab some good SW too.

US T5 – Rally went ok, nothing special, and my troops are ready to advance onto RB1 and 2 and 3 once again. RB2 and 3 groups are staying close to the pier though the S35 gun is finally unattended. The IJA busted the malfed 8 inch gun, which was good news. Two planes were rolled, so no OBA this turn. WP was dropped onto O26 and O27 with success, though one mortar depleted. Three of the HTs on RB2/3 mired even though they were with a Pathfinder the whole time. Got a 768 out of the Q28 pillbox and get through the trenches to Q26 and gave some bait to draw off the MMGs before the other guys move onto the beach. This worked just fine and I got a HOB out of it. DFire caused some casualties – and I hadn’t even got a single IJA casualty in prep. It’ll have to be done in AFPh and CC. I got a HS and destroyed a gun in AFPh and CC was a bit bloody too, though not as much as I’d hoped.

IJA T5 – IJA reinforcement roll got him 3 x 447s and a 10-2 to add to the pool and he rolled for 6 counters to enter the board. I made some rallies and recovered some good SW, so hopefully will be able to make good use of them. IJA fired into a few melees and caused a few casualties of his own. A few of mine broke but each melee still had a full squad to fight with. Prep went generally poorly for the IJA, and the one tank that tried to have a go at my guys on the beach was seen and blown up by one of my planes. The second plane malfed its MGs going against a stack that moved from a beach hex into some palm trees but hit with a bomb, wounding a leader and striping a squad. DFire went well and reduced a few IJA squads and killed a leader. I lost a few guys in CC but scored far better in return, including another tank.

US T6 – two planes arrive, so another turn without OBA. HOB on a self rally gained me a 7-0. Prep killed about a squads worth of IJA and made way for some movement which was good. A SP75 was lost in the water approaching RB1 – only one remains up there now but the infantry are doing ok. Movement was ok and I made it under the wire in a few places but in DFPh I lost some guys at the beak of RB1 including a FT HS. I unmired most of my SP75s approaching RB3 and they made their traditional two hex Pathfinder assisted movement towards the beach. The IJA broke a key 668 and then by continuing to fire caused a HOB and brought him back as fanatic. He fired at him again and again, then broke him and caused CR, but then tried to finish him off and caused another HOB which brought him back as a berserker. In the AFPh the FT on RB1 killed a crew in a pillbox that was manning a 37L, so very good news there. AFPh scored me a few more kills then there was a whole load of advancing.

IJA T6 – Ten counters for the IJA this turn as reinforcements. Rally was good with a lot of SW recovered and some troops rallied. I lost another SP75 in the RB1 zone in prep but the infantry up there were ok. Two AA guns continue to fire at my planes but to no avail. The IJA concentrated a lot of his FP on just a few hexes, breaking or killing everyone in a hex in melee with a tank. In DFPh I stunned and shocked the tank on the beach but failed to see another target so that plane is around for a bit longer. There were some good other DF shots and at least two more IJA leaders died, leaving only two wounded leaders in the main area and the rest AMing along as reinforcements. There was only one CC and we both died – just a HS each, but it opened a gap in the IJA lines I must exploit.

At the end of IJA T6 of 20PM (scenario 2) the US have now lost 501 (+149) CVP and IJA have lost 212 (+156) CVP
Numbers outside brackets are the first scenario, inside brackets are for this scenario only.

The play is becoming faster and more focused, but would be a total nightmare if not for VASL, the stacks are too big and cluttered for such a small area.
The pics are of RB 1,2 and 3 at the end of IJA T6.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The end of the second scenario and start of the third.....

US T7 – No extra planes, and the troops in the bunker that had been under pressure for so long came back. The IJA shocked tank came back, but the front line guys around the top of RB2 failed to rally. A WP shot caused an IJA 448 to BH and also created a hero on RB1 – but at least he’s in +2 WP now. Most other shots were NE despite good FP and leadership, and I created another IJA HOB – but this guy went berserk at least. Movement went ok – advanced in a few places in the RB2 area and got more than half of my remaining 75 HTs onto beaches. Two DCs were dropped on to U11 HMG. I didn’t suffer too badly in DFire but did have a few units break which reduced my chances for CC. Luckily most had units behind them to take over their hexes when they routed. Most IJA FP is now based in the palm tree triangle between the airstrips. AFPh FT shot killed the fanatic squad and hero created by the prep fire WP shot.

IJA T7 – In rally I picked up some SW but there was nothing else special. IJA prep was largely NE. In the second part of prep a few of my guys broke, but luckily not all were adjacent to the IJA so would not have to rout and keep my front line intact. Most units prep fired so there not much threat from movement trying to take back lost ground. A berserker took up a bit of my FP but I got him in the end before he got adjacent to anyone.

Before cleanup:

US have lost 656 CVP and IJA have lost 378.

Cleanup

All US vehicles made it ashore safely.

Wounded leaders – IJA lost 4 more CVP and US lost 5 more CVP. One US leader was retained wounded and another was retained unwounded.

Since I won the CG I promoted an 8-0 to an 8-1. I kept my hero since there were no units to BH.

New scenario – IJA SAN remains at 3 and US SAN returns to 2.

One SP75HT was eliminated during weapon repair.

CVP now stand at US losing 666 and IJA losing 390

After captured weapon destruction the IJA lost another 2 CVP.

We each scrounged some SW from wrecks and I turned some IJA tanks into burnt out wrecks in my area just in case the IJA get them back later.

I destroyed all the remaining IJA SW in my areas and assembled all SW and guns of mine. I removed wire in T12 and S31 using my assault engineers.

CVP now stand at US having lost 666 and IJA lost 392.

The IJA have declared a night banzai so the US must set up, but the IJA roll might not be low enough for it to happen.

If the next scenario is a night one, then I have to hope that my second line of defence will back up my first when the charge comes. To help with this some leaders in the second line have DCs to throw at the charging Japanese. If it is a day scenario then I have a lot of troops to swarm Green beach to take the pillboxes there side-on with no AT fire. The SP75 HTs can move along the shoreline once the N22 and O22 AT gun and tank are taken out. The IJA have about 40 squads and 15 crews to cover the whole island, I should be able to cope with that.

21AM

US T1 – it’s a day event – my new troops are coming on all 4 beaches – and no planes arrived to help on T1. There were lots of shots taken, lots of acq gained but few results and only a few casualties caused. The reinforcements came on well and the HTs began their move along RB2 to take on the HA-GO since the gun crew in N22 were broken in prep. The island is one great mortar and MG duel for this scenario it seems. My guys might break but they will rally whereas the IJA will only dwindle away. I also have the depth of front to rout away into and the IJA does not. A few of my guys broke and a LVT carrying a 37L AT gun and crew took a CH and burned approaching RB3. There were very few CCs as my two squads set to attack different tanks failed their PAATCs.

IJA T1 – IJA reinfs gained him three 448s and a single 9-0. Not a lot compared to what I have coming on this scenario, which is good. I just need to keep chipping away at them. Focused mortar fire caused me some casualties on the front line, about ten mortars firing at the one hex, which was nasty. I lost a vehicle, leader and more than two squads dead plus some broken. On the other hand, those ten mortars are more than half his firepower at the moment. DFire was good and powerful and killed off a few HS, a tank, got a SR down in a good spot and striped and broke a bunch of others. I lost some units FTR but it was ok. I lost both CC but it was expected.

US T2 – Rally – I got nearly everyone back and repaired some SW. IJA reduced some HS. Three planes arrived so I lost my OBA. Prep was quite good though, killed another tank, reduced a lot of squads and broke some others, but the US lost two leaders to SAN. Two LVTs made it on to green beach and one unloaded – both in a safe spot. I lost a LVT with an AT gun and crew approaching RB1. Suicide but it was predetermined. Some infantry losses were taken wading into green beach but all others in the water were ok except for a bulldozer who mired on the way to RB3. Good movement was done in the RB2 zone and some DCs were placed with a view to clearing that area in CC. The IJA mortar barrage cost me another squad dead, but he also broke two mortars. All the CCs went my way and I lost just a leader.

IJA T2 – We each made some rallies, but the IJA lost a HS to failed rallies and two mortars for good. The IJA tried the usual focused fire method that he’s been using this CG date but to little effect. There was lots of fire back and forth across the island and my guys came out best, causing quite a few reductions and breaks, but also pinning a few squads that could try for some CC and make two others berserk. Of my three planes only one made a successful attack – striping a squad carrying two mortars out of the barrage area (where heaps of IJA mortars are adjacent to each other) but making him berserk on the MC. There was no CC as a result of my successful DFire, so all round not a bad turn for me.

US T3 – no planes arrived, so let’s try for some NOBA. I got some contact and other prep went ok – breaking and killing some IJA. In movement I just shuffled around except where I had to get troops to the beach. I lost a bulldozer approaching RB3. I took some casualties along GB but made good progress and the IJA there are almost surrounded. Dfire wasn’t great and I took a few casualties, but have made very good progress against GB by the end of the turn. I did get one of the 8in guns in CC and a squad on RB1, though lost a crew there.

US have now lost 666 (+68) and the IJA have lost 392 (+66).

The US have almost lost the CG and have to be very very careful, especially when it comes to protecting vehicles, as they're worth quite a bit. Significantly, I have not been able to get a single NOBA FFE down in three scenarios - planes keep arriving at odd times and the OBA has to be cancelled by SSR. Add the poor bombardment results at the start and this has not been a great CG for the USN gunfire support force.

Pics are the zones at the end of US T3.20525

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Well, after 78+ hours of gaming (plus about 4-5 hours each for setting up the island defences and planning the assault waves), I (the US player) have conceded to the IJA defences. At the end of US T6 of 21AM I had lost 799 CVP, and with a CVP cap of 804 there was no point going on.

Here are the pics at the end of the campaign - had I lost "only" 750-770ish CVP by this point I would have been much happier and confident of a win. He had very little left to take on my Shermans, which could have sat back and blasted away at everything while being surrounded by plenty of Marines to guard against THH and their friends. The planes on the airfield are just there to remind us both how many I have for the next turn. They were not used.

How did we rate it on ROAR? 9 - a must play. Great fun and tension.

Complaints from me as the US commander: the initial barrages did very little and I had only one NOBA FFE land in any scenario - planes kept arriving and forcing me to remove any SRs I had on the map.
Would I play it again? Yes, but not for a long time. However, there's so much more ASL out there that I'll probably never get around to it, but I'm glad we gave it a good go.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Indeed, reaching the CVP cap is probably the only way the Japanese can win. It is vital to the balance of the CG.