"Brown" AVF in Doomed Battalions - where to sort them?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
In my ongoing work to transfer to RAACO, I came onto a number of "Russian brown" vehicles that came in "Doomed Battalions" IIRC. Italian tankettes, American M3A3 (a), M3A1 (a), AEC II (b), etc.
I had stored them among the Allied minor vehicles up to now.

Question is:
Where are they supposed to go? With the Russian AFV?
Is this supposed to be some lend-lease stuff, vehicles captured or vehicles to equip partisans?

What does the GS hive-mind say?

TIA,
von Marwitz

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
These are (communist) Yugoslav AFV.

See Yugoslav vehicle notes.

I put them in their own A78 insert, and the Russian case. They see use in a few scenarios, but always with Russian/Partisan MMC, etc.

See, for example, FrF68 A Hasty Farewell. Mattias managed to use four of the five AFV types.

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
The Soviet brown ones are Partisan, almost exclusively Yugoslav (IE Tito's mob). A mixture of captured Italian and LL from British stocks, though obviously some originally US built.

As for where you store them, that's your call. I am inclined to keep them separate from Soviet as some minor depletion numbers and the like may be different. I keep my partisans at the end or to one side of my Soviet storage anyway, but that's just me.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
These are (communist) Yugoslav AFV.

See Yugoslav vehicle notes.

I put them in their own A78 insert, and the Russian case. They see use in a few scenarios, but always with Russian/Partisan MMC, etc.

See, for example, FrF68 A Hasty Farewell. Mattias managed to use four of the five AFV types.
Ahhh, yes! Now I remember.

Thanks, people!
von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I have them in my Allied Minor AFV and Ordnance Plano, since that seems appropriate
I am tending to go that way. It will depend on how the inserts in the RAACO Assorters will match up in the end.

von Marwitz

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Note that although the counters in DB were "intended for" Partisan AFV operations, some of them do turn up as normal Lend-Lease vehicles in a few German-Russian scenarios.

E.G., Russian Vehicle Note 54 = Allied Minor Vehicle Note 34 (M3A1 SC).

I sort them with my Partisans (which live in a few dedicated compartments of my Russian Plano).

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The nice thing about the E-Z-Put-A-Way counter storage system is that you can also put your RAACO boxes in the big, black, plastic bag. It solves two problems.

JR

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I put them in with my Russians, seemed the best way due to the colour.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The nice thing about the E-Z-Put-A-Way counter storage system is that you can also put your RAACO boxes in the big, black, plastic bag. It solves two problems.

JR
Incidentally, I think this is the storage system that my wife would propose as well. She could likely add a number of additional problems atop the two aforementioned that this could solve for many of us. :D

von Marwitz

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
And all your maps too!
In that case, I'd recommend upgrading to one of these sturdy, red-denim bags.

Red Denim Santa Sack.jpg

Word at the Pole is that one bag will accommodate Olli's entire ASL collection, and still leave room for a dozen copies each of Red Factories, the Korean War module, etc.

Last edited:

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Incidentally, I think this is the storage system that my wife would propose as well. She could likely add a number of additional problems atop the two aforementioned that this could solve for many of us. :D

von Marwitz
That sounds more like a long-term, off-site storage solution.