Broken units in melee

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi all,

We have a situation in our RB game as follows:

1. Russian & German units are in melee
  2. During the prep fire phase the Russian player fires into the melee and ALL units on both sides break leaving no unbroken unit in the melee hex.
  3. Do the units rout in the rout phase or does everybody on both sides have to withdraw during the CC phase?
We think its the later but not sure

Regards
Simon

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Both sides have to withdraw in the next CC Phase.

Attacker (phasing side) needs to go first.

I believe that the defender (non-phasing side) can probably stay in place if there are no other enemy units left once the attacker has withdrawn.....and if everybody is broken, he will withdraw successfully as there is nobody to attack him to keep him from doing so.

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ok - isn't CC simultaneous so will they not all withdraw from CC at the same time rather than the defender staying in place?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok - isn't CC simultaneous so will they not all withdraw from CC at the same time rather than the defender staying in place?
Even though infantry only CC/Melee is considered simultaneous in most instances [EXC: Ambush, Infiltration] the ATTACKER must perform actions prior to the DEFENDER as per A11.12. The rules are a little weak in covering all situations but I believe strongly implied that the actual mechanics sequence as opposed to the considered simultaneous sequence is covered as well.
  • 11.12 MECHANICS: The ATTACKER specifies the order in which multiple Locations containing CC situations are to be resolved; each Location's CC for that Player Turn must be completely resolved before resolving CC in another Location. Barring sequential CC, each side in a Location must designate all of its attacks in that Location prior to the resolution of any of them (ATTACKER designating his first).

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I would think that withdrawals must also be declared beforehand : the opponent then can decide to attack withdrawing units.
So if both must withdraw, the defender will withdraw even after the attacker did.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I would think that withdrawals must also be declared beforehand : the opponent then can decide to attack withdrawing units.
So if both must withdraw, the defender will withdraw even after the attacker did.
I'm with Robin.
They are committed to the W/D beforehand.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the attacker announces that he is withdrawing, the defender then makes a decision whether he is withdrawing. Once the announcements are made, then they are binding.

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
Even though infantry only CC/Melee is considered simultaneous in most instances [EXC: Ambush, Infiltration] the ATTACKER must perform actions prior to the DEFENDER as per A11.12. The rules are a little weak in covering all situations but I believe strongly implied that the actual mechanics sequence as opposed to the considered simultaneous sequence is covered as well.
  • 11.12 MECHANICS: The ATTACKER specifies the order in which multiple Locations containing CC situations are to be resolved; each Location's CC for that Player Turn must be completely resolved before resolving CC in another Location. Barring sequential CC, each side in a Location must designate all of its attacks in that Location prior to the resolution of any of them (ATTACKER designating his first).
That silly ASOP comes to the rescue again...ATTACKER first:
8.1 START of LOCATION's CCPh:​
8.15B May (must, if non-Disrupted/non-Guard broken Infantry; A11.16) declare Withdrawal(s) from Melee (ATTACKER first; A11.2), dropping possession of any SW/Gun(s) that would prevent Withdrawal (A4.43).​