Broken Units in Cave Complexes

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Per G11.77 a broken unit can rout to a Cave but can it continue into a Cave Complex? If not, is a Tunnel the only way a broken unit can enter a Cave Complex?

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes if it has enough MP left since it costs 2MP to move from a cave to the connecting complex (G11.74).

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I only asked because of this in G11.74:
Infantry that enter a cave (even from above-ground) or Cave Complex cannot
enter another cave, Cave Complex, or tunnel during that same phase.

but that rule is only talking about MPh/APh.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Only after they fail a MC and become broken (not the crew broken, but the vehicle). My reply should have said MF, not MP.
Just friendly pimping you! Us "loggies" can't let such a slip go unnoticed (though I was Infantry and Cavalry most of my career-heck, we didn't even know how to spell MP).

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I only asked because of this in G11.74:
Infantry that enter a cave (even from above-ground) or Cave Complex cannot
enter another cave, Cave Complex, or tunnel during that same phase.

but that rule is only talking about MPh/APh.
I think applies in the RtPh too.

“However, regardless of phase, an Infantry unit may enter a cave or Cave Complex from an Accessible cave/Cave-Complex only if it has ≥ two MF available (considering its SMC PP bonus [A4.42] and possessed SW PP, if any), even if its move requires no MF expenditure (11.751); neither Minimum Move nor Advance into Difficult Terrain can be used for such entry”

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think that, in itself, will prevent a DM unit in the RtPh from entering a cave (2MF) and continuing into the Cave Complex if it has 2MF remaining.

What I'm trying to do is figure out how broken units get into Cave Complexes. G11.77 implies that broken units can exist in Cave Complexes. I think they can get there thru a tunnel but I can't find anything specifically allowing them to rout there.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think that, in itself, will prevent a DM unit in the RtPh from entering a cave (2MF) and continuing into the Cave Complex if it has 2MF remaining.

What I'm trying to do is figure out how broken units get into Cave Complexes. G11.77 implies that broken units can exist in Cave Complexes. I think they can get there thru a tunnel but I can't find anything specifically allowing them to rout there.
I don't see where it limits MF expenditures only to the MPh/APh. There are a few instances where certain aspects of movement conducted in a specific phase may not be applicable such as FFMO/FFNAM being applicable only during the MPh when entering an FFE blast area {C1.51), but A10.51 strongly implies a routing unit is still expending MF while A10.53 specifically notes that routing units are expending MF:
  • (A10.51) ...a routing unit must move to the nearest (in MF...
  • (A10.53) Once a unit begins its rout, it is expending MF...

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

“Regardless of phase” means that the RtPh is included. A broken unit can rout into a cave but cannot enter the cave complex until the following RtPh, if otherwise allowed.

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK. The brokie is DM and routs into the cave, which is a concealment terrain. In the following RPh he loses DM so unless he is attacked he won't be DM in the RtPh and can't rout into the Cave Complex.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
OK. The brokie is DM and routs into the cave, which is a concealment terrain. In the following RPh he loses DM so unless he is attacked he won't be DM in the RtPh and can't rout into the Cave Complex.
It can keep DM if it wants. A cave is not building or woods.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Normally they break in the cave and then rout into the complex.

If your Japanese are running around outside then there may be a problem with your defence.

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Slowly getting used to caves. I think I'm going to end up liking them but, at first, they are a bit head-twisting. My setup for my first game (AP149 Grabbing Gavutu) was, shall we say, not optimal :unsure:

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
@johnl keep an eye out for the eventual release of Bitterest Day from BFP.

It’s hot cave action unpolluted by close terrain and jungle etc.

I think it will become the de facto cave module.

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Michael: great AAR's. very helpful.

ibncalb: looking forward to it. Maybe by then, I'll know what I'm doing.:p:p