Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I used the OBA flowchart to try to reason this out, and I am looping. :crosseye:

The observer is broken, so he cannot attempt radio contact. I believe that this is not voluntary loss of contact. The flowchart states that the SR stays on board in that situation. If nothing changes (i.e., the leader does not rally and no one else gets the radio), it seems like the SR can remain on board forever.

Agree?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I used the OBA flowchart to try to reason this out, and I am looping. :crosseye:

The observer is broken, so he cannot attempt radio contact. I believe that this is not voluntary loss of contact. The flowchart states that the SR stays on board in that situation. If nothing changes (i.e., the leader does not rally and no one else gets the radio), it seems like the SR can remain on board forever.

Agree?
Consider the situation where, instead of the Observer breaking, the radio malfunctions and x's out. ;-)

JR

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The OBA Flowchart is 99-pct "there," but misses some peripheral bits (see below).

The observer is broken, so he cannot attempt radio contact. I believe that this is not voluntary loss of contact.
How he breaks, matters.

If he Voluntarily Broke at the Start of his side's RtPh, he'll lose Contact & Access and you'll remove any SR/FFE of his.

If he Broke most any other way, you'll simply flip his Contact chit to its No Contact side.

The flowchart states that the SR stays on board in that situation. If nothing changes (i.e., the leader does not rally and no one else gets the radio), it seems like the SR can remain on board forever.

Agree?
SR come off when you get a red oval on the OBA flowchart.

Because the OBA flowchart misses a few tricks, I made the supplement, below.

View attachment 44972

99-pct of the time, you'll be sent, by this supplement, directly to the OBA flowchart (the very-heavy black path, on the supplement). The rest of the time, this supplement should speed your game.

Here it is again, in (less aesthetic) text, with full rules references:

ASL Pre-OBA-Flowchart Flowchart Hadady 2014.03.01 v1.2

In any phase:
Did Observer just lose Good Order? {Fixes an OBA Flowchart (radio Contact box) omission}
Y: Is that Observer in Contact?
Y: Not anymore: flip Battery X Contact to Battery X No Contact, immediately (C1.61).

End of RPh:
Any FFE:C on board? {Fixes an ASOP omission}
Y: Battery Access is now lost (C1.21). Is Observer for that FFE:C in Contact?
Y: FFE:C remains in place.
N: Remove FFE:C (C1.22).

Start of Observer's PFPh or DFPh:
Is Observer in Good Order? {Fixes some OBA Flowchart and ASOP omissions}
Y: Does Observer Voluntarily lose Contact?
Y: Lose Access and remove that Observer's SR/FFE counters, if any (C1.22).
N: Goto OBA-Flowchart.
N: Does that Observer have an FFE:C on board?
Y: Battery Access (prev. lost) not regained; mission expires and FFE:C is removed (C1.34).

RtPh:
Does the Observer Voluntarily rout? {Fixes an ASOP omission}
Y: Was that Observer in Contact?
Y: Lose Access and remove that Observer's SR/FFE counters, if any (C1.22; C1.6).

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Ie using a broken unit to move with the unbroken leader...
Yes, per A10.771.

C1.22 says:
"...Voluntary loss of Contact (i.e., failure to roll for Contact/Maintenance or voluntary rout; 1.6) causes the immediate loss of Access and Cancellation of the Fire Mission (if any). However, failing to roll for Contact/Maintenance is considered voluntary loss of Contact only if the Observer has no LOS to the SR’s/FFE’s Blast Height; 1.32)."

I've always interpreted the red text as only applying if one can actually make such a DR - i.e., the Observer is unbroken and the Radio/Field-Phone is not malfunctioned. I.e, if a broken Observer (or one with a malfunctioned Radio) has no LOS to the Blast Height, isn't an issue - but perhaps that is not the correct interpretation of the intention?

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, per A10.771.

C1.22 says:
"...Voluntary loss of Contact (i.e., failure to roll for Contact/Maintenance or voluntary rout; 1.6) causes the immediate loss of Access and Cancellation of the Fire Mission (if any). However, failing to roll for Contact/Maintenance is considered voluntary loss of Contact only if the Observer has no LOS to the SR’s/FFE’s Blast Height; 1.32)."

I've always interpreted the red text as only applying if one can actually make such a DR
Me too. I've always inferred failing to, above, as forgoing a, intended. I'm not sure that I've seen it played otherwise.

- i.e., the Observer is unbroken and the Radio/Field-Phone is not malfunctioned. I.e, if a broken Observer (or one with a malfunctioned Radio) has no LOS to the Blast Height, isn't an issue - but perhaps that is not the correct interpretation of the intention?

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
Wayne, in your post #6 should you not also have fixed this statement (it seems you changed Broke to Rout in the chart only)
>
>If he Voluntarily Broke at the Start of his side's RtPh, he'll lose Contact & Access and you'll remove any SR/FFE of his.
>

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
Thanks for the chart. FYI re printing it out:
1) the green background is way too dark
2) red box just has a few black marks in it, so probably too dark
3) orange boxes, very hard to read the black text. Also is salmon, which might be me low on a color of toner.

4) The "Did Observer just..." box, is quite legible; but the text in the other white boxes is thin, not enough contrast, as if you used a different font style with a thinner line.

I think its generally difficult to print the "full background color" style of an offset printed color document. Might be better off just doing a wide colored border.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Agree?
Yup, that is my understanding as well.

Trezza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I play it the same way....SR stays on board.....the broken part of the rule is when you
have mixed nationalities. in FB CG 3, I once had Hungarian OBA with a 6+1 on the radio.

Had the SR down but the 6+1 disrupted. Sent a German 8-1 to get the radio from him
and he was allowed to dial up the radio and blow the OBA into a FFE 1.

That is a huge stretch to me but was allowed according to Klas and/or Perry.