Broken in Crest

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
We're in the last gasps of "Cibik's Ridge" and I'm clutching at straws here. My last U.S. full-squad (w/MMG) was just broken by snipe while in Crest status atop a jungle-gully (X4, if you require all the gory details). With the IJA pressing hard, the Devil Dogs are not likely to survive unless they can rout two hexes away through the light jungle (down the hill is not a strategic option). Can the unit rout by expending just 1 MF (& COT) to leave the gully, or is it forced to drop into the gully first, before routing any further (and therefore not having enough MFs left over). My opponent believes the latter, which is plausibly the intention of the RB, however, I see the rule a bit differently:

B20.96 BROKEN UNITS: If broken, Crest Infantry must leave their Crest status during the following RtPh.​
Because the rule uses "during the following RtPh" (not "at the start of the following RtPh), it seems to me that all it requires is that the brokie can not remain in Crest status by the end of the RtPh.

The argument in his favor lies in an Errata from J11, though it is stated in conjunction with either Movement or Advance (in our game, it is the Japanese Turn):

B20.93 EX: In the previous diagram, it will cost two MF (shown in red) for the 4-6-7 to move out of Crest status plus another two MF to enter T4 (or another one MF to enter S4 or U4), whereas it would cost only two MF to move directly from Crest status to S3, T2, or U3. In all cases, it could be fired on in T3 without benefit of entrenchment before entering the adjacent hex. It would have to become CX (A4.72) to advance into T4, but could advance into the other adjacent hexes without such a penalty and if pinned or broken in T3 would be placed IN the Depression at the end of its MPh.​
Any thoughts or, better, hard facts (preferably pro-American ;))?

P.S. Happy Easter (as applicable)!

P.S.S. The above question has turned out to be fairly moot ?, but I'm still interested to hear the responses.

Last edited:

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think this...

Because the rule uses "during the following RtPh" (not "at the start of the following RtPh), it seems to me that all it requires is that the brokie can not remain in Crest status by the end of its RtPh.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I concur.
Even if the unit is not ADJACENT to a KEU nor in Open Ground, it may not remain in Crest status - but otherwise must apply routing rules.