Broken Ground Preview Set #2: French Vehicles (Opposing View)

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
So these arrived in today's mail to various interested pre-reviewers and me, the voice of dissent. ;)

As I posted in response to Vinnie on FB:

Initial impression: I like the black line around turret denotation and and vehicle type symbol. They actually make those aspects pop without making anything else disappear. Art is ambivalent as ever, but not as generally cartoonish as colored infantry (the camo pattern on a couple vehicles is overly large and looks goofy). I dislike the relocation of vehicle names and colored wrecks. Just an outline is one of the things that says "wreck" to me. On the whole, meh.

Mine had no problems in shipping and are staying on sprues better than latest releases from either MMP or BFP. (This in response to comments on his that appeared to be separating from sprues).

My general conclusion remains the same: If you think these are shiny and you like shiny, ok. For me, it's a lot of money for no more real functionality (and I don't care about shiny here, I want functionality. And if I wanted shiny, coloring the art doesn’t achieve it). And I feel again forced to admit that the copyright stuff makes me queasy at best.

S

Last edited:

newege

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So these arrived in today's mail to various interested pre-reviewers and me, the voice of dissent. ;)

As I posted in response to Vinnie on FB:

Initial impression: I like the black line around turret denotation and and vehicle type symbol. They actually make those aspects pop without making anything else disappear. Art is ambivalent as ever, but not as generally cartoonish as colored infantry (the camo pattern on a couple vehicles is overly large and looks goofy). I dislike the relocation of vehicle names and colored wrecks. Just an outline is one of the things that says "wreck" to me. On the whole, meh.

Mine had no problems in shipping and are staying on sprues better than latest releases from either MMP or BFP. (This in response to comments on his that appeared to be separating from sprues).

My general conclusion remains the same: If you think these are shiny and you like shiny, ok. For me, it's a lot of money for no more real functionality (and I don't care about shiny here, I want functionality. And if I wanted shiny, coloring the art doesn’t achieve it). And I feel again forced to admit that the copyright stuff makes me queasy at best.

S
I demand precision counters be used at tournaments... coloured wrecks could cause confusion. I guarantee these counters are not approved for use in backgammon tournaments...