See Dummies in the index
- Feb 9, 2005
- Reaction score
- Aberdeen , Scotland
The Steyr ADGZ was originally developed as a heavy armored car for the Austrian Army from 1934 and delivered from 1935-37.
The Austrian army was using the ADGZ armored car at the time of Anschluss. 12 were used by the army and 15 were used by the police. The Germans used them for police work and some were taken on by the Waffen-SS and used on the Eastern Front and in the Balkans. The SS ordered an additional 25 ADGZ which were delivered in 1942.
There was no "rear" either end was capable of driving the unit.
As part of the initial operations of the Invasion of Poland, the SS Heimwehr Danzig used three ADGZ armored cars during the attack on the Polish Post Office in Danzig, and lost one during the battle. Some ADGZ were also supplied to the Army of the Independent State of Croatia.
After the invasion of the USSR a few ADGZ armored cars were rearmed with turrets from the Soviet T-26 model 1933 light tank.
See also German Vehicle Note BG.