Broken Ground Design Thread

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Russian wins if one of the following is achieved:
Seems like you could make this a bit simpler if you got rid of (c) and just said "The Russian wins if one or both of the following is achieved:" Or perhaps "either or both"...

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
COVERED Errata

BG12: German OOB/set up should read as follows

GERMAN Elements of 84th Infanterie Division (ELR 2) Set up on board BG1 on/north of hexrow 8.

BG11 & BG12: The abbreviation for British units should read K.O.S.B.

I've apologized to Alan Hume for messing up his scenarios. The copy editor was taken behind the woodshed and given a... life lesson.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
COVERED Errata

BG12: German OOB/set up should read as follows

GERMAN Elements of 84th Infanterie Division (ELR 2) Set up on board BG1 on/north of hexrow 8.

BG11 & BG12: The abbreviation for British units should read K.O.S.B.

I've apologized to Alan Hume for messing up his scenarios. The copy editor was taken behind the woodshed and given a... life lesson.
no worries Alan, those things happen
thanks for posting the erratta

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Something sticky this way comes...
in about a week.
The courier cometh...

Still a work in progress, as colour matching needs to be finalized. The sample had over a dozen shades of green, since the final result often depends upon printer settings.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Self-stick Overlays.

Here is a product that came together surprisingly quickly, spurred by a forum comment about Colorform shapes. I've created a sheet of 25 standard overlay patterns printed on clear plastic, with post-it style adhesive backing.

These overlays still need to be cut out, but because it's clear plastic, the cutting doesn't need to be exact - in fact, you can avoid inside-corner cutting altogether. When placed on a board, there is slight edge bubbling, but this aids in removing the stickers at the end of the game.

Aligning the overlays on the boards is very easy, due to a "happy accident" with the first test sample. The center dots of the hexes unexpectedly did not print, leaving a clear hole instead of a white dot. At first I was annoyed, but soon realized that the clear holes allow quick and fairly accurate alignment with the hex dots on the boards. This also means that LOS checks can be made using the true center of the hex.

The adhesive is basic post-it strength. I left some overlays on a board for several days, and the overlays came off without problems. The board showed no discolouration or other kind of marring to the surface - as if an overlay had never been placed there at all.

This is not a cheap product. The most cost-effective and comprehensive source for overlays is clearly the official Overlay Bundle. Self-stick overlays are a niche, 'boutique', or 'gourmet' option which will likely market for up to US$7 per sheet + shipping (still working on the sums to see if it can be lower).

As printed on the sheet:

Cut out and reapplied to the sheet.

On a board:

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
Great idea! But... How many times can be sticked and re-sticked? Will lose the sticking properties over the time? The boards need a previous treatment so the overlays don't get dust and particles? And more questions like these will emerge, eventually...