Broken Ground Design Thread

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Too lazy to look upthread.

Did anybody ever suggest a line of Terrain Cards that one could lay out next to the board, with quick helpful hints about whatever special terrain might be in play? I played a VASL scenario with Olive Groves and Vineyards the other day and it really helped to put some chits out with the major things we needed to remember. The physical cards could be the same size as SAN or OBA cards.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I’m sure somebody that ad thinking of doing them in the dim and not so distant past

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Too lazy to look upthread.

Did anybody ever suggest a line of Terrain Cards that one could lay out next to the board, with quick helpful hints about whatever special terrain might be in play? I played a VASL scenario with Olive Groves and Vineyards the other day and it really helped to put some chits out with the major things we needed to remember. The physical cards could be the same size as SAN or OBA cards.
I think Ritterkrieg have talked about doing something along those lines

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Finally, the re-stocking has begun, and will continue over the next few months. Plus, some new stuff to brighten up your gaming experience (if you're into that sort of thing, of course).

Air & Sea
Half-sheet of 5/8" counters.
Rafts, Smoke/WP, and Parachutes.

Extra 1 Potpourri
More British vehicles, including SAS/LRDG, Bridgelayers, and Australian variants
More Minor Allied AFV & Guns
More German vehicles
* Also available in the Extra Bundle (with Extra 2 & 3) *

Extra 2 Commies & Baddies

More German vehicles in SS Black.
More Soviet vehicles, including Aerosans, Bridgelayers, Odessa tanks, and Leningrad vehicles.
* Also available as an Extra Bundle (with Extra 1 & 3) ***

Extra 3 Shanghai'd
More Japanese captured vehicles.
More Chinese captured vehicles (two-tone & KMT blue).
* Also available in the Extra Bundle (with Extra 1 & 2) *

German

GE: German (9 sheets)
Set of counters representing German forces. Full-colour uniforms. SW shown in profile. AFV & Ordnance are full-colour. Many Captured AFV/Ordnance/SW from all theatres/nationalities. A varied selection of rare and unique vehicles, TD/SPG variants, AC, even a Maus!
Includes counters for “?” (1/2” & 5/8”), CX, Acquisition, AL, Sidecar, and Snipers (SAN 2-7).
Named and Variant Leaders (Wounded/Fanatic/Heroic). AE and Fanatic MMC.
* This set is also part of the Uber Alles Bundle (with Waffen SS & Optional/Heretical) *

Terrain 1 Sand & Shellholes

Desert related counters, Shellholes, and some innovative Wire+Trailbreak counters.
* Also available in the Terrain Bundle (with Terrain 2) *

Terrain 2 Trailbreak

Innovative Trail Break w/terrain counters, plus No Move and Drift.
* Also available in the Terrain Bundle (with Terrain 1) *

Zombies!

Zombies (ZB1 Half-sheet of 1/2" counters; ZB2 Quarter-sheet of 5/8" counters)
Re-live classic Zombie flicks from the 50s and 60s with this set of counters compatible with ESG's Zombie Pack 1.
Zombies. National Guard. Police. Armed Civilians. Civilians. Plus vehicles & guns necessary to play the scenarios from Zombie Pack 1 (not sold here). For fun, additional vehicles (Pick-ups, Sedans, Police Cruisers) to enhance that 50's feel.

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like the 5/8" Trailbreak counters. One thing though I am having trouble finding anything that creates a TB through Wire. Or is the idea to save a counter when there is a TB in a woods hex that also has wire in it? Same for Roadblock?

Seth

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
woohoo, just ordered some stuff. The German counters look really nice, but not in my budget this month, maybe later!

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I like the 5/8" Trailbreak counters. One thing though I am having trouble finding anything that creates a TB through Wire. Or is the idea to save a counter when there is a TB in a woods hex that also has wire in it? Same for Roadblock?

Seth
The TB-combo counters were inspired by one of my muses (and occasional thorn-in-my-flesh, as friends can sometimes be) so I didn't dive into the Wire rules. Maybe a SSR can make use of them. ;)

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are you working on a Russian counter set similar to the German one?

And I'll have to take a look at more of the markers, so far I've only bought the rafts, landing craft, and extra Soviet Russian stuff.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Are you working on a Russian counter set similar to the German one?

And I'll have to take a look at more of the markers, so far I've only bought the rafts, landing craft, and extra Soviet Russian stuff.
Alsn has done counters for every nation already in ASL including several sets for partisans etc also OD marines and two different versions of Chinese.

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alsn has done counters for every nation already in ASL including several sets for partisans etc also OD marines and two different versions of Chinese.
Yeah, I know, but most of them are not available on his website. After seeing the German counters I'm highly tempted to get them and the Russians. I'll probably pass on the zombies...

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Here is a proposed order of reprinting/restocking. There is no timeline with this, as it all depends on the turn-around with the die-cutter, but I'm going to try doing 2-3 nationalities at a time. Russians and Americans are currently in proofing stage, and are next to be produced.

The Americans will now come as a mega-pack (7.5 counter sheets), From Pearl to Panmunjom, providing almost everything Yankee spanning a dozen years of combat [EXC: Aircraft]. Other Korean War nationalities will be tackled after the current restock list is done.

Russian
American
British
Finn/Swede
Free French
Hungarian
Romanian
Partisan
Japanese
KMT
KMT-Blue
ChiComm
Filippino
USMC-Olive Drab
French
Italian

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Here is a proposed order of reprinting/restocking. There is no timeline with this, as it all depends on the turn-around with the die-cutter, but I'm going to try doing 2-3 nationalities at a time. Russians and Americans are currently in proofing stage, and are next to be produced.

The Americans will now come as a mega-pack (7.5 counter sheets), From Pearl to Panmunjom, providing almost everything Yankee spanning a dozen years of combat [EXC: Aircraft]. Other Korean War nationalities will be tackled after the current restock list is done.

Russian
American
British
Finn/Swede
Free French
Hungarian
Romanian
Partisan
Japanese
KMT
KMT-Blue
ChiComm
Filippino
USMC-Olive Drab
French
Italian
Hey Alan,

That is great. Are you planning on providing the KW US sheet(s) separately for those of us that own your original US?

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey Alan,

That is great. Are you planning on providing the KW US sheet(s) separately for those of us that own your original US?
Almost, but not quite. Getting the FW stuff to fit led to some... overflow. The AFV are basically a half-sheet, but those all important, critical-to-every-scenario Searchlight Trucks and TACP Jeeps had to share space with lesser-AFV of WW2 vintage. The infantry is also a half-sheet, but only the BARs and BAZ50s are with them. The late-model RCLs and LMGs are similarly with the lesser-SWs.

It's not impossible to do, but it's not perfect either. I will try to slot something in with the Hungarians. (Trust me, it makes sense).

EDIT: I think I've figured out a way to balance the SW allotment. Let me work on it some more.

Last edited:

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Sounds good Alan. I don't mind if I get a few redundant counters that were already in the older US sets. Just dont want to have to buy the full set again.
Are you doing North Koreans with the ChiCom set...or is that a reprint of the ChiCom set for "The Long March"?

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Russian
American
British
Finn/Swede
Free French
Hungarian
Romanian
Partisan
Japanese
KMT
KMT-Blue
ChiComm