Broken Ground Design Thread

IPMS

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is your internet store open? Would like to pick up a set of your Russian counters.
Thanks

WAMedic

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any ETA on when the store might be opening back up?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Bizarre that a company in the business of printing this stuff for you would THEMSELVES not quality control their stuff before sending to you, immediately see there is a major issue, and come back to you confirming that there'll be a delay whilst they reprint.

Sounds like they've tried it on a bit...
When I was the shipping clerk at a fiberglass pultrusion factory I was too often told to ship material that was obviously defective. The short term goal of getting something out the door no matter the quality seemed to outweigh the responsibility to the customer and ultimately the employees. The company went out of business.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Sorry to hear this! I'm planning an SASL campaign game as the Polish but holding off until I can get some counters from you.
Not to hijack the thread for a different vendor, but BFP's 'Poland in Flames' is a very good product and a complete source for alternate artwork MMC. It's a big hit to the wallet, but I think of it as the best 'Non-SASL SASL" purchase I've made due to the alternate MMC, the alternate leader advancement track (if you play with personal leader option), and the variety of alternate German and Polish SW. A larger than usual number of the scenarios are viable candidates for SASL conversion as well if you do that sort of thing. Also I love early war.

Another option if you can't wait is something I've done for alternate artwork Soviets. Take micro-armor tank/aircraft decals and apply them to SMC/MMC counters as needed. I have enough east front HASL modules that I'll never use all the Soviet counters I've got so 'defacing' them this way didn't seem like a problem. If you do this make sure you put sealer over the top so they don't rub off. These won't stand out as clearly from 'temporarily attached' MMP counters during play as much as TPP counters like BGD's though, and you've got to do the work of decaling, which isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Having said all that BGD is a valuable source of alternate artwork counters for SASL campaign play, I've picked up his PTO sets for just this purpose.

DQuin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Curious, what method do you use to convert a scenario to a SASL mission?

Not to hijack the thread for a different vendor, but BFP's 'Poland in Flames' is a very good product and a complete source for alternate artwork MMC. It's a big hit to the wallet, but I think of it as the best 'Non-SASL SASL" purchase I've made due to the alternate MMC, the alternate leader advancement track (if you play with personal leader option), and the variety of alternate German and Polish SW. A larger than usual number of the scenarios are viable candidates for SASL conversion as well if you do that sort of thing. Also I love early war.

Another option if you can't wait is something I've done for alternate artwork Soviets. Take micro-armor tank/aircraft decals and apply them to SMC/MMC counters as needed. I have enough east front HASL modules that I'll never use all the Soviet counters I've got so 'defacing' them this way didn't seem like a problem. If you do this make sure you put sealer over the top so they don't rub off. These won't stand out as clearly from 'temporarily attached' MMP counters during play as much as TPP counters like BGD's though, and you've got to do the work of decaling, which isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Having said all that BGD is a valuable source of alternate artwork counters for SASL campaign play, I've picked up his PTO sets for just this purpose.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Curious, what method do you use to convert a scenario to a SASL mission?
I don't want to take over a thread that's supposed to be for BGD stuff - suffice it to say I use the method you may have heard others discuss in which the non-player side is replaced with 4.1 (a/b/c/etc. as appropriate) setup or entry conditions. There's somewhat more to it than that but that's the core of it. Most scenarios don't lend themselves to this for various reasons - I've had failures as well as successes. With a little practice you get an eye for which scenarios are likely to work. I still overwhelmingly play SASL as a campaign game with the published missions, but converted scenarios (or SASL-HASL missions like the Red Barricades ones in J1) make a nice change of pace sometimes as the tactics involved are very different.

Phillip

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Thanks for the recommendation - I've been looking at that module for a while now and your post has moved me closer to pulling the trigger. Now if there weren't so much MMP stuff I need to buy (just kidding - please keep it up!).

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Alan,
I am sure someone has already suggested it...But have you considered a counter set of German Fallshirmjagers? To include some 228 half armed squads? The FJ are favourites in scenarios ranging from the invasion of the Low Countries, right through Crete, Italy and NW Europe with various squad type. With their distinctive helmets and smocks, they would look great in your colour rendered counters.

Last edited:

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Alan,
I am sure someone has already suggested it...But have you considered a counter set of German Fallshirmjagers? To include some 228 half armed squads? The FJ are favourites in scenarios ranging from the invasion of the Low Countries, right through Crete, Italy and NW Europe with various squad type. With their distinctive helmets and shocks, they would look great in your colour rendered counters.
For now, it's a struggle to get my existing stuff re-stocked. Covid lockdowns have strangled the die-cutter's ability to tackle the job. :(

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
For now, it's a struggle to get my existing stuff re-stocked. Covid lockdowns have strangled the die-cutter's ability to tackle the job. :(
Well, the lockdowns will most probably not last for years. And as currently lockdowns inhibit FtF play as well, I reckon people might feel a bit less urgency in receiving the counters at once.

Cheers,
von Marwitz

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ah, sorry to year that. Perhaps one day post COVID, we can one day enjoy some nicely coloured FJ counters. I have CH's set but even they don't include the unarmed squads. And they went with a mousy grey which is not as nice as classic blue.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think LFT produced pre-armed German paras in issue that had Spanish blue division scenarios

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Perhaps. HOB certainly did in Op Merkur, but their initial release counters are glossy and kind of crappy. I use those, then replace them with fully armed CH FJ...But I would rather have one counter set that included them both. I can't understand why MMP would still not have produced them, rather than have us use some info counter to replicate it. Considering what kind of money they want for their modules. I mean did anyone need that many Opel Blitz trucks in CdeG 2? How about giving us counters that are still needed?

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Perhaps. HOB certainly did in Op Merkur, but their initial release counters are glossy and kind of crappy. I use those, then replace them with fully armed CH FJ...But I would rather have one counter set that included them both. I can't understand why MMP would still not have produced them, rather than have us use some info counter to replicate it. Considering what kind of money they want fI mean did anyone need that many Opel Blitz trucks in CdeG 2? How about giving us counters that are still needed?
Opel Blitz are the greatest trucks in ASL. One can never have too many 😀