Broken Ground Design Thread

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
I’ve never been to Spain, but I bet you don’t want heavy clothing or long sleeves most of the year...
You're right. I have a pic of La Legión in 1934 disembarking at Almería IIRC, all with their shirts and sleeves rolled up. Date? December 28th. But, of course, they were no stupids. In case of hard weather, legionarios put on their tunics (or whatever could find; I have another pic of legionarios in Madrid dressed with wool sweaters bought in the city after arriving from Morocco). But even today, in the parade of October 12th at Madrid and raining, the legionarios take pride to march with their shirts.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Speaking about this, what, no steel helmets?
And we come to the problem aforementioned. There were steel helmets of all types, and all were used: French Adrian, Czech helmets... But the star and most used was the Trubia m26 helmet, and it's the iconic steel helmet of the SCW. In both armies. You may see it here:
https://www.lne.es/asturias/2010/11/04/trubia-puso-primeros-cascos/989612.html
But, again, there weren't enough to equip all soldiers. It's only a estimation made after seeing hundreds (thousands?) of photos, but I'd say that only 1 in every 4 was equipped with a helmet.
I had only seen one picture of the helmet, and it didn't seem common (as you've pointed out). I think sticking to the caps adds to the distinctiveness of the conflict.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
Looks like white shoes in combat were a thing.
I forgot to answer that. Were boots (ankle boots) covered with puttees or gaiters, and were made of white canvas, a copy of an habit of the Regulares (another attempt to mark the "africanist" character of the Legión). At any case, it's intrascenden. As for all the other uncommon material, soon would become scarce, so the legionarios used the brown boots of regulation in the army.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
I had only seen one picture of the helmet, and it didn't seem common (as you've pointed out). I think sticking to the caps adds to the distinctiveness of the conflict.
You could make one of the three men in the squad 1st line wearing it; but it's only a suggestion. Not a big issue; It was heavy, uncomfortable, and the common soldier wasn't very satisfied with it.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Hello Alan, thank you for shipping my orders....you have only given me one tracking number. Are all four counter sets in the same package?

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hello Alan, thank you for shipping my orders....you have only given me one tracking number. Are all four counter sets in the same package?
Yup. Should arrive by Thurs or Fri at latest.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Is it express delivery? Normally it takes two weeks from Canada/USA. Plus now there is the delay from Covid.
Yes. I've had one shipment to UK go completely AWOL, and others taking 4 weeks with regular airmail. Even shipments to US are taking longer. You had expressed a desire for quicker methods (i.e. Fedex) so I looked at the options with Canada Post. It's convenient for me as I can do all the paperwork at home, then drop off at the local post office in town, with minimal social contact or fuss. I've refunded the extra shipping you paid across the two orders.

EDIT: after writing the above, I realized I forgot to include the extra S&H charge in the refund, so that's be sent back to you too. Sorry for the confusion.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Not to worry about the extra handling charge....it is only a couple of dollars.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I have not bought any of the Broken Ground conters. But yesterday I dreamt up a thing I would buy to supplement my counterset: a pack of US and British vehicles and ordnance used by Free French as described in chapter H in French blue to go with my new, blue Free French infantry.

Is this kind of thing available?

Last edited:

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hmmm. Not exacly what I had in mind but intresting still. Let me try to resist the urge to order for a while...
In my defense, these came out 2 years ago. When I was developing them I had no idea that MMP would change the treatment of the French forces in CdG2.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
In my defense, these came out 2 years ago. When I was developing them I had no idea that MMP would change the treatment of the French forces in CdG2.
I actually quite like the two tone colour scheme for these. Hmmm.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Poking my way through a list (in Spanish) of SW for Spanish forces, I think I've sussed out a likely selection of ASL equivalents. Granted, in ASL terms, some of these are repetitive, but at least it's a start.

My question: which are exclusive to Republicans or Nationalists, and which are common to both?

Russian
MMG PM obr. 1910
LMG DP 1928

American
HMG Browning M1917A1
MMG Browning M1919A4

British
HMG Vickers Mk I
MMG Vickers Mk I
LMG Bren Mk IV

German
HMG Schwartzlose M08/12
MMG MG 07/12
LMG Solothurn MG 30

Italian
MMG Fiat M35
LMG Breda M30

French
HMG Hotchkiss mle 1914
MMG Hotchkiss mle 1914
LMG Chatellerault mle 1924/29

EDIT: PS I'm not asking anyone to violate any NDA.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Coronavirus strikes again. My order was due to be delivered today...but it is still stuck at a Canadian airport.