Broken Ground Design Thread

FrankJ

Cap'n Crud
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is there a clip anywhere that shows what the Panther, Tiger, T-85 looks like?

I am interested in buying, but I would like to see those counters first.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I've had a request for something DTO...
View attachment 6925
While looking good at larger size (just as displayed here) I would believe that the sangar artwork will be hard do make out on an actual counter, which is smaller and on which less resolution will be possible due to printing limitations. It *might* just look like a brown blob.

von Marwitz

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are Broken Ground's Japanese MMC counters going to have that KOOL red stripe on the reduced side?

Still lovin' my sportin' Hungarian counterset and getting ready to order more.

Thank you Footsteps!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why do the ID letters have to be in blue?

IMHO black ID letters would be preferrable. Otherwise too many (and uneccessary) colors.

von Marwitz
It does have them stand out a bit more, but in my experience the letters are seldom used in actual gameplay and I agree with Von M., probably an unnecessary and distracting addition.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like them! Although lighter (more faded) camouflage colors on the vehicles would make the vehicle lines easier to see. Also instead of the red bar on the reduced side what about printing Reduced in a transparent red across the counter? (might be too expensive and complicated to print but would look cool) I should add I love the Sanger idea and would buy those. Your counters are awesome!

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just hit my man Footsteps over at Broken Ground Design up for an order.
Thank you Footsteps!!!
Broken Ground Design...
Taking the beauty of ASL one step higher...
Counter by counter!!!

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When are those BEEEYOOOOTIFUL Japanese counters going to be available?
(Please say soon...
as in, next week, maybe?)

MichalS

Reaction score
First name
Michal
Country
llSlovakia
I have played with the counters only twice so far, but punched, clipped and organised around 20 countersheets. My (of course, very preliminary) experience:

The larger and thicker/blockier numbers are better visible than on standard counters. That is a good thing. However, a specific (and modernist) design approach of BG is to let the figures and numbers bleed together. While attractive when looking at an individual counter - and especially blown up - it becomes more difficult to quickly identify the numbers when you have several of the counters strewn about.

In general, standard counters have much more of "empty" space. BG's counters are not only spread out towards the sides more (I guess thanks to currently available and more precise die cutting technology) and thus use more space of the counter, but all the graphic elements, including the figures, have been made bigger. In addition, the counters use a larger colour palette (obviously). This makes the counters "fuller" and therefore possessing less visual contrast - and I find that somewhat of a problem. Although an individual counter is perhaps more attractive (although the starkness, simplicity and contrast of the standard counters has its attractiveness too), it becomes more difficult to tell the individual categories of counters apart. It is more difficult to quickly distinguish between a squad and a halfsquad, for example. Sorting your counters takes more time.

Has anybody had a similar experience?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I have played with the counters only twice so far, but punched, clipped and organised around 20 countersheets. My (of course, very preliminary) experience:

The larger and thicker/blockier numbers are better visible than on standard counters. That is a good thing. However, a specific (and modernist) design approach of BG is to let the figures and numbers bleed together. While attractive when looking at an individual counter - and especially blown up - it becomes more difficult to quickly identify the numbers when you have several of the counters strewn about.

In general, standard counters have much more of "empty" space. BG's counters are not only spread out towards the sides more (I guess thanks to currently available and more precise die cutting technology) and thus use more space of the counter, but all the graphic elements, including the figures, have been made bigger. In addition, the counters use a larger colour palette (obviously). This makes the counters "fuller" and therefore possessing less visual contrast - and I find that somewhat of a problem. Although an individual counter is perhaps more attractive (although the starkness, simplicity and contrast of the standard counters has its attractiveness too), it becomes more difficult to tell the individual categories of counters apart. It is more difficult to quickly distinguish between a squad and a halfsquad, for example. Sorting your counters takes more time.

Has anybody had a similar experience?
Interesting feedback!

von Marwitz