Broken Ground Design Thread

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Have you considered adding digital versions of your counters for purchase so that folks could use them in VASL?
I would strongly disapprove of the idea to introduce the monetization of VASL.

Rather than having VASL monetized, I'd pass on any extra counters or extensions any time.

Monetizing VASL opens a can of worms and might destroy it. If VASL countersets are only available for sale, this will splinter the VASL community.

"Ah, we can't play this, you have bought the counter-extension for this scenario, but I have not..."
"Hey, those dudes charge money for extensions. But they don't give us VASSAL/VASL developers a share, without whom the extension would be of no use at all."

I would not like to see any of that or similar things with regard to VASL.

If people decide to make available alternate countersets for VASL as an extension, yes sure.
If this is linked to monetization, hell no.

von Marwitz

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Have you considered adding digital versions of your counters for purchase so that folks could use them in VASL?
Several years ago I had discussions with one of the VASL guys (forget his name) about adding my counter art to VASL. The sticking point at that time was scaling my work to fit VASL parameters. A lack of skill and knowledge on my part. I've learned a lot since then, and perhaps now there are achieveable ways to make it work. I've always considered this idea a voluntary one.

Currently I'm focused on getting physical sets reprinted, and I have a couple of scenario pack projects on the go. Plus I still have a (part-time) day-job. There's only so much this depressed Olde Dog Braine can handle at one time. ;)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Several years ago I had discussions with one of the VASL guys (forget his name) about adding my counter art to VASL. The sticking point at that time was scaling my work to fit VASL parameters. A lack of skill and knowledge on my part. I've learned a lot since then, and perhaps now there are achieveable ways to make it work. I've always considered this idea a voluntary one.
Though personally I prefer the old black/white counters, there is no doubt hat yours are exceptionally well made.
I remember that some doubted your efforts when you started off, but with your great efforts you have not only proven them wrong but convinced many to buy the sheets instead. In fact, your counters are so well liked, that some sheets are out of print. That speaks for itself.

That you consider a possible VASL effort a voluntary one commends even more praise.

There's only so much this depressed Olde Dog Braine can handle at one time.
It is amazing that a depressed Olde Dog Braine can handle way more useful ASL doings than the undoubtable genius mind of the 6+1 Oberst. He attributes that to the serious scarcity of acceptable exquisite French vintages.
C'est la guerre... ;)

von Marwitz

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
On the topic of system counters, in addition to the rice paddy state I've wished about previously, I'd really appreciate somebody making 5/8" booby trap A/B/C counters, (preferably in some bright, in-your-face color.) I can generally track sniper activation #'s but I have a very hard time remembering booby trap activations for whatever reason - having a counter actually on the board is a useful mnemonic. I've made my own counters for this but professionally done counters would be a lot better looking.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Something else worth doing Alan is generic tank turret counters in the nationality colours? Say 10 for each ?

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aka Countersmith workshop. Even better

I tried the Countersmith and ended up not liking them. I had thought they would be great partly due to preserving the visual aspect of the tanks. Such as a mark IV still looks like a Mark IV. What I found was that the counters contained too much information and additional symbology. Ended up doing extra deciphering and a cluttered look. The other issue was that they were a bit oversized and obscured more of the vehicle counter. When it come down to it, I rarely need to see the info that is printed on the counter.

What I do have, and like a lot, are the LFT generic with nationality color turrets, as suggested by Olli. They keep some of the look, reduce the overload of 'white' system counters riding around on tanks. I would not mind having semi-generic turrets. A Sherman turret, a tiger turret, etc. But plain, no information. Just a BU side and a CE side with the proper turret shape and barrel length. However, the color needs to be dead on. Not "sort of" US green and "almost" German blue.

I like to use the generic colored turrets only on tanks. I use the white turrets for turreted non-tanks. US meat chopper, or open topped AC for example. And I still use the white BU/CE for non-turreted. Just adds a little visual cue when looking over the board with a lot of different vehicles.

Seth

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I tried the Countersmith and ended up not liking them. I had thought they would be great partly due to preserving the visual aspect of the tanks. Such as a mark IV still looks like a Mark IV. What I found was that the counters contained too much information and additional symbology. Ended up doing extra deciphering and a cluttered look. The other issue was that they were a bit oversized and obscured more of the vehicle counter. When it come down to it, I rarely need to see the info that is printed on the counter.

What I do have, and like a lot, are the LFT generic with nationality color turrets, as suggested by Olli. They keep some of the look, reduce the overload of 'white' system counters riding around on tanks. I would not mind having semi-generic turrets. A Sherman turret, a tiger turret, etc. But plain, no information. Just a BU side and a CE side with the proper turret shape and barrel length. However, the color needs to be dead on. Not "sort of" US green and "almost" German blue.

I like to use the generic colored turrets only on tanks. I use the white turrets for turreted non-tanks. US meat chopper, or open topped AC for example. And I still use the white BU/CE for non-turreted. Just adds a little visual cue when looking over the board with a lot of different vehicles.

Seth
I use the LFT ones and all the nationality coloured ones from the original SL modules , they work great, CW were pure and simply chrome

Last edited:

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Absolutely agree!
The 'official' generic white KV-1S -ish turret counters look funky on everything (especially on Stuarts and Ha-Go's). I have learned to live with these over the last several decades however, so I'm not sure how willing I would be to purchase replacements.

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The other thing I remember about the Countersmith is that since they were fairly accurate on the artwork / sizing it was less obvious what direction they were pointing on small short barreled tanks. Such as a German MkII. It was however a very cool idea in general. Just didn't work out for me.

^^ that turret size and gun barrel length in relation to direction is something to think about if semi-generic were made. Just make the artwork big enough to see the direction regardless of relative turret size to other turrets or to the vehicle counter.

Seth

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't know if anybody has ever suggested this or how much interest there would be, but especially during campaign games we've been having trouble with finding a suitable number of cloaking counters, we always end up using multiple colors and it's a train wreck to keep track of.

I'd suggest a pure cloaking counter set maybe white or some unused color (preferably two sets of different colors in case it's a dual night attack CG) with an a-z and also aa-zz all in the same color, just saying cloaking ? with the identity letter on the front maybe 6mf/no cx on the back.

Just an idea

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Don't know if anybody has ever suggested this or how much interest there would be, but especially during campaign games we've been having trouble with finding a suitable number of cloaking counters, we always end up using multiple colors and it's a train wreck to keep track of.

I'd suggest a pure cloaking counter set maybe white or some unused color (preferably two sets of different colors in case it's a dual night attack CG) with an a-z and also aa-zz all in the same color, just saying cloaking ? with the identity letter on the front maybe 6mf/no cx on the back.

Just an idea
How would this differ from just using an unused nationality's concealment counters like just now?

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany

Just an idea

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
You could buy some extra modules or the Broken Ground Design sets?

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
The other thing I remember about the Countersmith is that since they were fairly accurate on the artwork / sizing it was less obvious what direction they were pointing on small short barreled tanks. Such as a German MkII. It was however a very cool idea in general. Just didn't work out for me.

^^ that turret size and gun barrel length in relation to direction is something to think about if semi-generic were made. Just make the artwork big enough to see the direction regardless of relative turret size to other turrets or to the vehicle counter.

Seth
no need for any of that the turret gun points at the bottom right of the counter as you look at it on the board? , just like the vehicle counter, cannot see why people have a beef about this!

Last edited:

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How would this differ from just using an unused nationality's concealment counters like just now?
There is never enough in the large CGs. So you end up using two or three other nationalities. In our current Inor CG. The French are using American counters for his reserves, the German are using black SS and Chinese KMT for his cloaking and if he bought reserves we will need another color for that. If this was a dual night attack then we'd need two more colors for the French. In the larger CGs with the reserves that's the capability of having 6 "other" colors on the board.

My OCD and to clear up any confusion would like a cloaking set to differentiate what's cloaking and what's reserve as well as cut down on the rainbow effect of 8 colors on our inor map.

Just an idea.