Broken Ground Design Counters

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Unless you're playing a scenario set in North Africa, the ASL rules allow for the commission of 'cardboard war crimes' in ALL scenarios per:
A20.3 No Quarter
A20.4 Massacre

And perhaps under some interpretations, E2 Interrogation.
That's not the same as worrying that using black counters will somehow be a signal to the world (like anyone outside of ASL community actually cares what we do)
that you endorse the actions of those represented by a 1/2" slice of printed cardstock.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Negationist strategy : equating all things, so that nazi ideology becomes as acceptable as democracy...
But black Waffen-SS counters have been around for fifty years in the board wargame hobby now.
As often said, they are the orcs and balrogs of our fantasy WW2 world. No need to read more in that choice. Unless ASL suddenly becomes reality for you - but at that level of mental challenge, medical care would be necessary.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
I've had the black counters from ABtF for a while, of course many don't have them.
And of course black Germans from Avalon Hill's Third Reich for much longer, but that's neither her nor there.
I did use a black SPW251/1 once when I ran out of blue ones.

However, I'd really be up for buying a snipers, fanatics, and berzerkers pack.
Not that a complete new (and very nicely painted) set of counters wouldn't be fun to have, I just don't have the storage room and justifiable funding
for the whole package.
I understand that due to the cost requirements of printing the option for picking one sheet of these and one sheet of that may very well not be possible.

Just putting it out there that the different color zerkies and fanatics would be great along with those super cool snipers.
Obviously the different color counters eliminate the need for the current fanatic and zerk counters.
Reducing the extra counters in play is always a welcome option.

Also, for anyone who hasn't seen it, Alan's Brest-Litovsk map is amazing!
I can't imagine the number of painstaking hours he's put into that.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If you're on FB, you can go here: https://www.facebook.com/brokengrounddesign/

I will start posting pics here too, as I've received the first batch of samples from the printer (pre-die cutting) so you can see what they look like compared to standard counters.

My photography is poor, so it doesn't show how crisp and clean the images are, nor how close the colouring is.

half sheet front 01.png half sheet front 02.png half sheet front 03.png half sheet front 04.png

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Here's a curiosity I only noticed today.

FR07 AC mle 97-35 AT.png FR07 AC mle 97-35 AT b.png

Why does this AT gun have the s6, HE7, and No shield designations on both sides of the counter, instead of only on the Limbered side?

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
"The beta is because I haven't quite settled on the presentation yet. Too much of a white border on the figures gives them a "burn your eyes" kind of feel; too little or none, and details get lost. Just trying to find the right balance."

so you can print several variations on the beta & get feedback.
What happened to "reply with quote" ???

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Why does this AT gun have the s6, HE7, and No shield designations on both sides of the counter, instead of only on the Limbered side?
Is this really unusual? When AFV/guns have two sides (and not just a wreck/malfunction side), they tend to have some of the info that usually lies on the back side, on the front.

(Plus, didn't you create this version? you should know... :) )

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
That is a bit of an odd ball with regard to its limbered state. Most guns that can fire whilst limbered are AA guns that don't fire as well limbered as when unlimbered. Typically a lowered B#, maybe a lowered RoF and/or IFE. They could in an emergency fire while limbered but the intent would have been to fire unlimbered. The 97/35 was a standard 97 modified to give easier and faster traverse, so its 'limbered' state was already its 'natural' state. Anyway if the data fits both side then why not?

One thing about the piece is that it is horse drawn (h-d) whilst the standard 97 is not. That's not something the BG version introduced, it's the case in the CdG originals. I can understand the standard 97 having the option of motor and horse towing as many were reworked for motor towing, just as the British did motor towed conversions of their 18lbr and the US did for their versions of the 97, so you would have to allow for both horse and motor. I would have thought that an AT version of the 97 would be more likely to be motor towable than a plain artillery version. Anyway, an area where my ignorance shines.