BRL1192 instead of ATS

Nadir_E

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
me either, I saw BRL is going to Kursk. So a little nervous.
Ray has a history of re-using art and designs between ASL and ATS, no reason to think he wouldn't do the same with BRL1192. I would expect to see many of the same maps and scenarios from the ASLComp & ATS lines appearing in the new system.

tmanmerlin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Right, I remember when ATS was the new (and straight forward) system. Sniff, now ATS has been replaced by a new idol. Snifff, .. LOL:laugh:

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
The Giant Deluxe hex maps done a few years back are being repurposed for the BRL1192 Normandy Scenarios. Creates a miniatures feel as line of sight can now be from artillery piece to individual AFV, (ie center dots are just used to measure distance, not line of sight anymore). And with no stacking ever again your machine gun teams has to pick out which infantry section it is targeting..no more gamey scattering losses through a stack. A whole new ball game!

robh91

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Whilst the original AH Tobruk is a great game, BRL1192 is very poor quality, full of errors and contains a lot of retreaded materials.
Highlights include:
1. The three Alamein packs all being exactly the same except for different scenario cards.
2. Most of the damage entries for the 50, 50APCR, 50L and 50L APCR are all screwed up (like the 50 out penetrates the 50L APCR).
3. Some impact area charts are missing the “9” column.
4. A lot of the French AFV damage charts are “mysteriously” the same as some of the US vehicles.
5. All these issues are known by CH but despite lots off promises to fix - no action.

Avoid this product!

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
On the other hand....3 new Normandy modules for BRL up for order today..7 total, all with 2.2 inch hex maps. BRL1192 now has as many scenarios in Normandy as it has in North Afrika.

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
Not sure..these are conversions of ATS releases into BRL format, which requires minimal changes in map graphics plus 1. increase of game turns by 30% &2. integration of bar gunner into American squads. It is possible that the testing done for ASL/ATS versions was presumed adequate for scenario translations. BRL1192 in Europe (see FB page of that name) is rapidly absorbing terrain conventions from ATS...from desert and dune to hedgerow, culvert, and steeple.

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
Big push underway for BRL Europe. Specific rules book (notebook?) and will be using the QUAD series of Geomorphic maps, as well as historical.

robh91

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Whilst the original AH Tobruk is a great game, BRL1192 is very poor quality, full of errors and contains a lot of retreaded materials.
Highlights include:
1. The three Alamein packs all being exactly the same except for different scenario cards.
2. Most of the damage entries for the 50, 50APCR, 50L and 50L APCR are all screwed up (like the 50 out penetrates the 50L APCR).
3. Some impact area charts are missing the “9” column.
4. A lot of the French AFV damage charts are “mysteriously” the same as some of the US vehicles.
5. All these issues are known by CH but despite lots off promises to fix - no action.

Avoid this product!
Why don't you fix the issues in the desert first, before retreading a whole lot more garbage in the late war European theatre? Il

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
I have no idea why CH hasn't issued replacement data cards, as they have the info on hand. My best guess is sales are not large enough to support printing out and mailing replacement cards to customers.
We'll probably (I'm guessing) see the roll out of the corrected French AFV values with the Euro notebook, as 3 ring punched cards, along with many new vehicles and guns.. As all Euro modules released so far as well as one N.A. module use Saha's double time variant for Tobruk, I wonder if CH will bite the bullet and print counters reflecting the doubletime movement rate and scale.

Last edited:

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
BRL1192 Stalingrad next up. I'm hoping the new BRL Europe rules notebook will include the correction to the Tunisia vehicles as they are used in Normandy and the 1944 campaign.

robh91

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
BRL1192 Stalingrad next up. I'm hoping the new BRL Europe rules notebook will include the correction to the Tunisia vehicles as they are used in Normandy and the 1944 campaign.
I hope no-one buys the BRL1192 junk pedalled by CH. It is an insult to the memory of the original designer Hal.
Two years plus, on and no corrections to data for French AFVs.

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
BRL 1192 is doing a major expansion in North Africa, using thecdoubletime rules to allow ASL/ATS maps to be used with appropriate terrain rules. The first two releases are The Road to Mateur ( Tunisia hill 609 battle...A mountain combat!) and Deir El Munassib, The first of a large interlocking map series covering Second Alamein.
I have purchased the latter. These are primarily infantry battles fought by the Folgore paratroops against a commonwealth effort to turn Rommel's extreme right flank. The way to make BLR1192 manageable in a dense environment where the typical range of engagement is 6 hexes, not 20, is to reduce armor assets in scenarios...only one has armor on both sides. Olive orchards, printed wire and minefields, many levels of elevation, etc.