British Open

soggycrow

Polish Submariner
Reaction score
Country
llPoland
Apparently we're not allowed to call it the British Open anymore. They've decided that it has to be "The Open," as if there were no other open championships. Now, everybody knows that the British Open is the oldest of them all. That's fine. But appropriating the name itself as if it were the only open championship is pretty douche-baggy. They can't even lay down proper fairways on their courses. They just have a bunch of rough they call "links." They worship this course at St. Andrews that hasn't been cleaned up in 75 years. They must really be raking in the greens fees there. No course maintenance. Can't tell the greens from the fairways. When's the PGA?

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Apparently we're not allowed to call it the British Open anymore. They've decided that it has to be "The Open," as if there were no other open championships. Now, everybody knows that the British Open is the oldest of them all. That's fine. But appropriating the name itself as if it were the only open championship is pretty douche-baggy. They can't even lay down proper fairways on their courses. They just have a bunch of rough they call "links." They worship this course at St. Andrews that hasn't been cleaned up in 75 years. They must really be raking in the greens fees there. No course maintenance. Can't tell the greens from the fairways. When's the PGA?
The 2015 PGA Championship is the forthcoming 97th PGA Championship that will take place from August 13–16 at Whistling Straits on the Straits Course in Kohler, Wisconsin.[3] This will be the third PGA Championship at Whistling Straits, which previously hosted in 2004 and 2010 (both won in playoffs), as well as the United States Senior Open in 2007. All of these prior events were held on the Straits Course.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
It's not new. It's been called the Open since 1860.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
So how do you know which one you're talking about?
Because it's The Open and there's only one "The Open" :laugh:

To be fair, the game was invented in Britain (Scotland in particular) it's not unreasonable to therefore call it 'The Open'.

soggycrow

Polish Submariner
Reaction score
Country
llPoland
There are opens all over the globe. This one's the British Open, which is what it was called for most of my life. I'll just call it that. You call it whatever you want. And thanks for admitting that the game was invented in Britain. You just made my point thank you very much.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
There are opens all over the globe. This one's the British Open, which is what it was called for most of my life. I'll just call it that. You call it whatever you want. And thanks for admitting that the game was invented in Britain. You just made my point thank you very much.
It's The Open but you can call it The Soggycrow Polish Submariner off of Gamesquad Open if that's what rocks your boat

:D