British Mark I Heavy Tank

rugger1982

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The British Mark I tank was the first model of tank in the world to enter combat, during WWI on the Western Front at the Battle of the Somme, the centenary of which has just recently been commemorated. I took these snaps of one of the remaining examples at the Lincolnshire Museum of Life in Lincoln, England, during a visit last year. (I found a replica model tank for sale in the gift shop with which I was very pleased). Apparently the tanks were produced exclusively in this beautiful medieval cathedral city. (The base from which the famous Dambusters Raid was launched in WWII is also close by). There is great debate and scepticism about how effective the first tanks were and on how much influence they actually had on the outcome of the battle and the overall war. What are other forum user's thoughts?

View attachment 54115View attachment 54116View attachment 54117View attachment 54118

Last edited:

rugger1982

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The British Mark I tank was the first model of tank in the world to enter combat, during WWI on the Western Front at the Battle of the Somme, the centenary of which has just recently been commemorated. I took these snaps of one of the remaining examples at the Lincolnshire Museum of Life in Lincoln, England, during a visit last year. (I found a replica model tank for sale in the gift shop with which I was very pleased). Apparently the tanks were produced exclusively in this beautiful medieval cathedral city. (The base from which the famous Dambusters Raid was launched in WWII is also close by). There is great debate and scepticism about how effective the first tanks were and on how much influence they actually had on the outcome of the battle and the overall war. What are other forum user's thoughts?

View attachment 54115View attachment 54116View attachment 54117View attachment 54118
Not much activity on here which is disappointing. Any thoughts or comments anyone?

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Being and ex member of The Royal Tank Regiment, I would say at the start Tanks had only a small impact on the fighting. Once we sorted out our act and Cambrai came along we had a huge impact, the Cavalry then went and screwed it up by not advancing into the gap we had made for them in the German trench line. Without the Tank I feel WW1 would of dragged on at least another year, with losses to match. It did not win WW1 but the Tank certainly help speed up its end.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The thing has all types of guns facing all over the place.lol

rugger1982

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Being and ex member of The Royal Tank Regiment, I would say at the start Tanks had only a small impact on the fighting. Once we sorted out our act and Cambrai came along we had a huge impact, the Cavalry then went and screwed it up by not advancing into the gap we had made for them in the German trench line. Without the Tank I feel WW1 would of dragged on at least another year, with losses to match. It did not win WW1 but the Tank certainly help speed up its end.
Thanks for your service Proff3RTR. What kind of tank did you operate during your military service? Am I right in thinking the modern Brit tanks are called Challenger?

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks for your service Proff3RTR. What kind of tank did you operate during your military service? Am I right in thinking the modern Brit tanks are called Challenger?
I was Trained on Chieftain Mk 14, then went to Germany to my Regiment (3rd Royal tank Regiment) and served on Challenger, My Regiment then amalgamated with 2 RTR and we became the new 2nd Royal Tank Regiment based in Fallingbostel, There I was sent to our Armoured Reconnaissance troop and spent 10 years as Recon Soldier, then went and trained up on Challenger 2 and served as a Troop (your platoon) Sgt and then leader as I commanded my own troop for the last 4 years of my Career.
Mix in to this 3 separate tours of Afghanistan (all with RM Cdo, and the Gulf war in 2003 with 40 Cdo RM) and various other operational deployments (totaling over 6 years out of a 22 year career) and it was busy to say the least

all the best

Perry

Old Dog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very impressive ! Glad that you made it home, and additionally glad that you're here.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The thing has all types of guns facing all over the place.lol
actually, only three types of guns - all in restricted arc sponson mounts. Only one of them was an artillery piece, able to fire shrapnel shells, being mounted in a centerline pair - one to each side. To the fore and aft were sponsons holding rotational drum - fed Machine Guns for clearing the sectors around the vehicle. IT becomes readily apparent when one draws out a diagram of the fields of fire why the Mark I had some serious design flaws that showed through in battle. front and rear approach was unprotected. Overhead protection was paper thin steel plate to save weight - making a direct hit or near miss by heavy payload artillery deadly. the thin tracks were not good at dispersing weight ratios - so these things made a mess in mud and got funky in steering in muddy terrain.

Modifications and newer models quickly began addressing the issues.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The tank in ww1 had relatively little influence overall. While it did make an impression on the battlefield, there were insufficient numbers to directly affect the outcome of the war.
If they had never existed, the war would still have ended when it did.
They might have reduced the number of casualties slightly but in no way significantly.
This can be seen by analysing the number of tanks employer overall. Only a just over 8,000 were produced throughout the entire way on both sides and that includes what we would think of as armoured cars (which actually had a greater effect than the track as once the hike was punched they could cause havoc in the rear areas but we're generally badly employer).
Many reasons for the lack of effect exist but can be broken down into a couple. Firstly, the military did not really know how to use them effectively. A real battle is the best way to learn but it's a damned expensive way too.
Secondly, the technology not entirely good enough. More vehicle were lost to breakdowns than enemy action. This should not be surprising when you think about it. These vehicles were at the cutting edge of what was possible.