Brit Module Screenshots Posted by Battlefront

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Maybe the plan of all this is to sink the memory of (what we consider) exiting scenarios into obscurity?

When was the last time that you got the kick that only approaching your Shermans into your human opponent's Hetzer and PaK infested defensive zone gives? NOT counting still playing CMx1. I mean the same kick, but out of a different game.
I finished the Medal of Honor: Airborne campaign this morning. Exciting, but really kind of repetitive - just like Brothers in Arms, shoot til they drop, and if possible, find a flank. Yawn. Nice visuals but that's about it. Sort of like CM, but without the nice visuals. (Don't get me wrong, the 3D models in CM:SF are great, but put them in motion and they look like robots, and the cities all look like collections of sea containers - in fact, we have a training village made of tan painted sea containers, and being there was exactly like fighting in CM-land.)

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
the cities all look like collections of sea containers - in fact, we have a training village made of tan painted sea containers, and being there was exactly like fighting in CM-land.)
Ive just finished up an exercise that my unit took part in this weekend. Basically we turned an airbase into a DOB and had a lot of different units take part from Medics to Marines. The first thing that struck me was the inability of the infantry to go for extended periods running around with every pound of gear they have to carry (weapon, ammo, water, food, Body Armour, Radios etc etc). We had IEDs, Mortar attacks, suicide bombers and wait for this one, CBRN.

Apart from having seriously good fun it got me thinking that:

1. The infantry in CMSF are way too fit.

2. Syria has a pretty large stockpile of Chemicals so I was wondering, if I was seriously going to invade Syria, wouldnt I take some Chem protection along? I remember in 2003 everyone wearing NBC gear for a good while. This fact alone would degrade the NATO forces performance.

Maybe thats a battlefield too far though?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Ive just finished up an exercise that my unit took part in this weekend. Basically we turned an airbase into a DOB and had a lot of different units take part from Medics to Marines. The first thing that struck me was the inability of the infantry to go for extended periods running around with every pound of gear they have to carry (weapon, ammo, water, food, Body Armour, Radios etc etc). We had IEDs, Mortar attacks, suicide bombers and wait for this one, CBRN.

Apart from having seriously good fun it got me thinking that:

1. The infantry in CMSF are way too fit.

2. Syria has a pretty large stockpile of Chemicals so I was wondering, if I was seriously going to invade Syria, wouldnt I take some Chem protection along? I remember in 2003 everyone wearing NBC gear for a good while. This fact alone would degrade the NATO forces performance.

Maybe thats a battlefield too far though?
Think of all the animations you'd have to create for donning and doffing, atropine injectors (or whatever the current fix is) etc...

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
[hirr]Leto;1133928 said:
Good point G, but I think this enters into the domain of abstraction.

Cheers!

Leto
So how do you know if your troops are taking the appropriate CBRN measures or not if not by animating them in 1:1 rep? Donning the 'bunny suit' is a procedure that is not a trivial expenditure of time and effort, particularly in the scope of a 30 minute scenario. The unit involved would have to be "temporarily immobilized" at the very least (as they say in the ASL world) for at least a turn or two. It could be abstracted be freezing or making the unit invisible, but it's something that would have to be coded.

And it is easy to ignore in a mid-eastern setting simply by saying that it never happened in Iraq, and since Syria is fictional, we're saying it is not an issue there.

One can see why they didn't create a NATO in Europe module with that in mind, as chemical weapons were a standard part of WP doctrine. It was certainly part of our training in the late 80s as we trained to fight on the North German Plain. Though granted, soldiers going into Normandy also trained in use of chemical weapons counter-measures, and they were never used, the likelihood of chemical weapons in Europe in a NATO-WP scenario - ISTM - was rated as somewhat higher.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
One can see why they didn't create a NATO in Europe module with that in mind, as chemical weapons were a standard part of WP doctrine. It was certainly part of our training in the late 80s as we trained to fight on the North German Plain.
Mid to late 80's, I served on a couple of RAF Stations in Germany. It was certainly a given that Chemical weapons would be deployed and used by the WP, and NATO for that matter. Every exercise I ever had included days in an NBC environment. Probably 50% of our training centred round being attacked by various chemical weapons.

Still, leave out the Chemical threat and you could have a pretty good 'Red Storm Rising' late 80's scenario.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well, here we are, April looms and a Module that was advertised as being out before Xmas 2008 is now 4 months overdue.

So much for a new game every year and a module every months. All I see is less content for about the same waiting times between games as CM-1.

WW2 when? Surely not in 09 now, although I await to be surprised. Meanwhile I am beginning to feel that no matter what CM-2 brings to ww2 I will be left thinking that CM-1 will still have more to offer overall. While Ive become quite bored lately with SF, ive actually taken on more CM-1 games and am re-enjoying it more than I thought I ever would.

Last edited:

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That was my wondering several months ago. It took em 5 years to get CMSF out. Its looking like 9 months to a year per module. 2 to 3 years per game. It seems to be a step backwards, regardless of content.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm wondering if resources aren't being diverted to finish CM2-WW2 first? Maybe they are hoping a WW2 version will bring enough people back into the fold to make the CM2 engine profitable . . just thinking out load. :smoke:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I'm wondering if resources aren't being diverted to finish CM2-WW2 first? Maybe they are hoping a WW2 version will bring enough people back into the fold to make the CM2 engine profitable . .
I had that thought as well. Moon did mention some "surprises" coming...

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I had that thought as well. Moon did mention some "surprises" coming...
"Surprises" other than a BFC death squad coming to your door, dragging you away bloody into the night and leaving your family to burn in a violent explosion?

(don't worry, due to horrible pathfinding problems, the deathsquad ends up driving up the steps of the local police precinct and the bomb left at your house was only good for breaching walls, so the fence surrounding your your house has now seen better days, but house and family still stand).

: )

Cheers!

Leto

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think the surprise will be something entirely different to the WW2 game.

Judging by the rumblings at BF more than a few are perplexed by the apparent lack of the new Module.

Mind you, the forum seems rather dead lately over there. The posts I saw yesterday concerned a guy new to the game having the usual 'Mince' taken out of him by the Beta Boys, some of which were hilariously quick to point out to the newcomer that they were 'Beta Testers'.

A post from a guy called Mord who had just bombed out of basic training. No wonder, hes 40 years old, basic infantry is a young mans thing, I dont think Id pass basic today, not to mention how grumpy I would be, I digress, thats for another thread....

Point is, BF traffic is woefully down and theres nothing new to talk about there it seems other than the peng thing, which Ive never understood.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm wondering if resources aren't being diverted to finish CM2-WW2 first? Maybe they are hoping a WW2 version will bring enough people back into the fold to make the CM2 engine profitable . . just thinking out load. :smoke:
I would say that's a very likely thing to be going on.

The British module won't sell much, maybe a few percent of a WW2 game. The Birtish module would be a nice-to-have if BFC can have it with few effort. If it take real effort, the backburner it is. Would make sense.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I think the surprise will be something entirely different to the WW2 game.

Judging by the rumblings at BF more than a few are perplexed by the apparent lack of the new Module.

Mind you, the forum seems rather dead lately over there. The posts I saw yesterday concerned a guy new to the game having the usual 'Mince' taken out of him by the Beta Boys, some of which were hilariously quick to point out to the newcomer that they were 'Beta Testers'.

A post from a guy called Mord who had just bombed out of basic training. No wonder, hes 40 years old, basic infantry is a young mans thing, I dont think Id pass basic today, not to mention how grumpy I would be, I digress, thats for another thread....

Point is, BF traffic is woefully down and theres nothing new to talk about there it seems other than the peng thing, which Ive never understood.
I was following the Mord drama, from his announcement a few months ago, and I just noticed his welcome back yesterday. I used to enjoy his posts; he's a contrarian, which I can relate to (who else would join the infantry at 40?) but in recent years he's become kind of a uber-*****y pro-BFC supporter almost on a par with the beta-testers and not nearly as funny as he used to be. It's funny how perceptions change when the "politics" do. Too bad for him, but he gave it a shot at least, which is more than most people do in a lifetime. The worst part, as he found out, is living with teenagers. :D

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I agree, he had the balls to go for it, but infantry aint for everyone, even at 16 a lot of guys struggle and bomb out.

Tanker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My dad was always proud of making it through infantry training in his early 30's and keeping up with the youngsters. There is a big difference between 31 and 40 though.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's not to be understood - it's to be savored. :) We're not all insane over there. Mostly.

-dale