Brit Module Screenshots Posted by Battlefront

Sirocco

Reaction score
Country
ll
In general I find the graphics in CMx2 fine, sometimes actually very good. Not top end pretty, but very good for a wargame. There's been some good work put in there, in programming, models and textures.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
In general I find the graphics in CMx2 fine, sometimes actually very good. Not top end pretty, but very good for a wargame. There's been some good work put in there, in programming, models and textures.
The models and textures are good. It's the animations I find jarring.To be fair, they are just getting into doing this, really.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Posted by Sixxkiller today.

Ummm, hate to tell ya, but the British module isnt complete.
Id like to speculate as to why, but have no knowledge of how easy/hard it is to integrate 3d Models into an existing game. The only thing I have to add is that this was supposedly extremely near release before Xmas 2008.

Last edited:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Integrating the 3D models isn't the issue. You just use code that loads a standard 3D program's file format.

Making the model, doing some programming for new tricks and hooking in the right code to the right animations is the issue.

And then there's QA, each last change breaks a couple unrelated things.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
OK, Im still speculating about the Brit module and why its taking so long. Heres another speculation. The Brit module is taking so long because theyre trying to build in a proper QB system?

Sirocco

Reaction score
Country
ll
I was assuming a bunch of people were developing it, but it looks like just one, Cassio?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Cassio is a 3D artist from what I understand. Who are their content experts? I've not seen any British Army experts, other than Geordie, posting on the BFC forums. By "expert" I mean people who have actually served IN the British Army.

As for QBs I thought they said not until CM:N, but this may be one of the surprises they have in store.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Correction MD, Im in the Royal Air Force, but I have spent a lot of time with the Army in my time both in training and on Ops. So I do have a feel for the infantry thing, even though Im not infantry.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Correction MD, Im in the Royal Air Force, but I have spent a lot of time with the Army in my time both in training and on Ops. So I do have a feel for the infantry thing, even though Im not infantry.
I knew I should have said "with". :mad:

But seriously - has any other British soldier posted on that forum? I'm not aware of any. Not a huge deal; I doubt they had any SS soldiers help with the design of CM:BO but just curious.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think Meach used to be in the Army, not sure how long ago but he is married to the Mishga character I think. Now theres something I find amusing, some bird shows up making scenarios and the forum fawns and coos over her. Yes, shes a lady and she plays CM!

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
But the module has been in tet for a while, so the Module must be finished, so why the continued delay? I'm thinking they may be bolting on something else, either a patch or something else.

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Perhaps the drunk and naked welshman mod with accompanying incoherent swearing and lewd remark sound files?

Cheers!

Leto

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm amazed that anyone would really be too interested in any of the campaigns. They feel like a series of unconnected scenarios to be honest. I never really have a notion to save something for, or be wary of the next battles.

Some of the Marines ones are an exercise in pointless as well. I cant remember its name but your are on one hill and the Syrians attack straight down an opposite hill. But the AI doesnt have a clue, it just mills around waiting for its vehicles to be killed. Even the mucj talked of objective pooh has a BMP behind every big building, then about 1/2 way through, a parade of tanks that comes straight from left to right.

There wasnt really much wrong with the original Campaign system in CMBB, I liked the fact you could see saw on some maps, move ahead on others etc. Mind you, maybe they were more like extended battles than a Campaign. Still, a thing that caould be learned for SF I think.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe the plan of all this is to sink the memory of (what we consider) exiting scenarios into obscurity?

When was the last time that you got the kick that only approaching your Shermans into your human opponent's Hetzer and PaK infested defensive zone gives? NOT counting still playing CMx1. I mean the same kick, but out of a different game.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I'm amazed that anyone would really be too interested in any of the campaigns. They feel like a series of unconnected scenarios to be honest. I never really have a notion to save something for, or be wary of the next battles.
They're not campaigns at all and we've been over that a million times, so I obviously agree with you. How stupid is it not to be able to select which units you're going to use in the next scenario, for example. However, some points to be made:

a) the consumer paid for them, so they should at least work properly.
b) not getting them to work is a huge credibility gap on BFC's part.
c) fixing this is probably a drain on their single-coder system - if that is what they are working on, rather than the British module.

Some of the Marines ones are an exercise in pointless as well. I cant remember its name but your are on one hill and the Syrians attack straight down an opposite hill. But the AI doesnt have a clue, it just mills around waiting for its vehicles to be killed. Even the mucj talked of objective pooh has a BMP behind every big building, then about 1/2 way through, a parade of tanks that comes straight from left to right.

There wasnt really much wrong with the original Campaign system in CMBB, I liked the fact you could see saw on some maps, move ahead on others etc. Mind you, maybe they were more like extended battles than a Campaign. Still, a thing that could be learned for SF I think.
Steve stated explicitly that the Operations model will "never, ever" be explored in CM again.

Last edited: