Brit Module Screenshots Posted by Battlefront

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Compare real life AARs from modern combat with CMSF results. CMSF infantry casualties are uniformly much too high. It's actually impossible to recreate quite a few Afghanistan ops in CMSF - I've tried. You simply can't get the infantry casualties to match if you plug in the parameters.
That is because in real life each individual body is controlled by it's own brain. In CM:SF it is not and there's no abstraction like in CMx2 either. So each individual man is prone to do something that a real life person wouldn't.

But nobody wants to admit there is a problem, let alone consider any advice for fixing it. :nuts: And to save my sanity I'm trying really hard not to keep bugging them. It's hard to let go of something I've enjoyed for so long especially on account of stupidity.
I think the number of people who have this problem with 1:1 is actually quite high.

I really wonder what more explicit control via formations and SOPs would do...

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Compare real life AARs from modern combat with CMSF results. CMSF infantry casualties are uniformly much too high. It's actually impossible to recreate quite a few Afghanistan ops in CMSF - I've tried. You simply can't get the infantry casualties to match if you plug in the parameters.
It was the same for the CMX1 games and the Second World War titles. JasonC posted book-length treatises on that topic on the BFC forums as I recall. It's probably not something you can get around in a game - but at least the Operations let you sort of get around it by giving you a reason for force conservation. The new "campaign" model, I'm not sure it does that as well.

Sgt_Kelly

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
One can easily see without being a historical expert that the kind of 'hammer and tongs' combat depicted in CM almost never took place in real life (with the possible exception of the East Front). In most cases one of the two sides would cotton on to the fact that they were outgunned pretty quickly and bug out. This is one of the things that is pretty well illustrated in Band Of Brothers on a number of occasions : the fight in the hedgerows where first a US company breaks and then the Germans retreat in turn as the Shermans show up, Carentan where the Germans call in mortars and retreat and the village in Holland where the German überarmor forces the Allies to retreat.

I tend to play CM this way, to the fury of many of my opponents who demand that I 'finish the game'.

In the two player 'Sie Kommen !' campaign, for example, I managed to win by a modest margin in terms of game score. But my casualty rate was 20% lower than my opponent's, even though I was attacking and the campaign kicked off with a beach landing. That gave me a far greater sense of achievement than if I had beat the pants off him in every engagement but gutted my force in the process.

Over the years it's become one of the reasons why I played CM less and less. 95% of scenarios have forces that are way too big crammed onto a map that is way too small and you end up with a ridiculous killfest.

avl90

Reaction score
I'm not talking about the tendancy for players to push their troops into situations (or through them) more than their real life counterparts.

If I get from a report such as "at coordinates xxx 4 taliban opened fire from behind a 3 foot wall at about y meters with z weapons... we returned fire and moved into a ditch 10 meters to our left" -- and I plug that into CMSF, I always get higher casualties than the actual event.

Probably this is a problem associated with the lack of 1:1 cover as well as the inability of the pixeltroops to use what little is there. Almost all survivability in CMSF comes from how distorted firearms accuracy is. Which makes me wonder what the point of ballistics tracking is, if you're going to fudge it up on purpose anyhow just to give troops in contact any hope whatsoever of not being wiped out instantly.

Last edited:

avl90

Reaction score
I think the number of people who have this problem with 1:1 is actually quite high.

Maybe a lot of people see the problem with the infantry, but not the only ones who count - Battlefront. They think the core system is fine.

What would formation and SOPs do? Nothing. The ballistics fuzziness already does more for troop survival than any movement of troops. It doesn't matter how they move if there is not enough detail in the environment for it to help. They can leapfrog or adopt a wedge, it will be all the same when the bullets intersect their polygons.

Only thing that can be done now is add way more detail in the terrain (they can't) or add back abstract cover (they won't.)

But again... if you're going to abstract cover and deliberately fuzz up the ballistics model (watch how disperse the rounds are, especially laterally) what is the point of the model in the first place?

What is the point in a core infantry model that presents nothing but problems like these to be worked around. All that has been happening on the infantry side of development is effort to mitigate the problems that were created by the model in the first place. :crosseye:

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If Gordie says it is easy playing as NATO, he must not have played "Road to Hama":crosseye:
As promised I played through this one last night.

Syrian surrender with US total Victory with 24:17 to go. I lost 12 men dead and a 18 wounded.

It wasnt all that hard and I didnt use any of the 3rd platoon reinforcements at all, nor did I use the Artillery or Air reinforcement.

My simple plan was to use the Tanks to blow up the walls on either side of the drainage ditch and infiltrate from there. Tankes then hunted towards an Arty barrage in the middle and killed about 4 tanks and APCs.

1 platoon up each flank and although I hit resistance I didnt really struggle. Every time I cleared a block I moved the armour up to cover the streets to the side and killed another T-90.

The Syrians surrendered before I even got onto the green objective areas.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well formations would stop the obvious death by bunching and cut down casualties. If every man is tracked and every bullet also, then spacing your guys out with real life formations will cut down on the casualties, as thats why its done in RL. An IA drill on contact would enhance this even more so as your guys would hit the dirt the minute fire is brought to bear and take the appropriate action/s.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Maybe a lot of people see the problem with the infantry, but not the only ones who count - Battlefront. They think the core system is fine.

What would formation and SOPs do? Nothing. The ballistics fuzziness already does more for troop survival than any movement of troops. It doesn't matter how they move if there is not enough detail in the environment for it to help. They can leapfrog or adopt a wedge, it will be all the same when the bullets intersect their polygons.

Only thing that can be done now is add way more detail in the terrain (they can't) or add back abstract cover (they won't.)

But again... if you're going to abstract cover and deliberately fuzz up the ballistics model (watch how disperse the rounds are, especially laterally) what is the point of the model in the first place?

What is the point in a core infantry model that presents nothing but problems like these to be worked around. All that has been happening on the infantry side of development is effort to mitigate the problems that were created by the model in the first place. :crosseye:
I think this is a great post and is at the core of my CMSF experience.

The fact that the game is infantry based to a much greater extent than before means that first and foremost the infantry model should be the basis for the game. Get that right and the rest will just follow.

Im caught between 2 thoughts here.

1. BF knew what they were doing but it was just too difficult to finesse.

2. BF didnt know and dont know how to fix it to satisfaction, or think that it doesnt matter.

One things true, its not going to go away for the next game either and in Normandy bunching your men will more likely than not lead to many more casualties.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think this is a great post and is at the core of my CMSF experience.

The fact that the game is infantry based to a much greater extent than before means that first and foremost the infantry model should be the basis for the game. Get that right and the rest will just follow.

Im caught between 2 thoughts here.

1. BF knew what they were doing but it was just too difficult to finesse.

2. BF didnt know and dont know how to fix it to satisfaction, or think that it doesnt matter.

One things true, its not going to go away for the next game either and in Normandy bunching your men will more likely than not lead to many more casualties.
BFC wanted to go 1:1 on the infantry. That decision came first, the question of how to implement it second.

As for the reasons why BFC wanted to go 1:1, they are their own, but some obvious possibilities include: 1) need to go down in scale to keep scope of game low (to sell more modules) and 2) the 3-man hack in CMx1 is just too ugly to sell a game in 2007, much less 2010.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BFC wanted to go 1:1 on the infantry. That decision came first, the question of how to implement it second.

As for the reasons why BFC wanted to go 1:1, they are their own, but some obvious possibilities include: 1) need to go down in scale to keep scope of game low (to sell more modules) and 2) the 3-man hack in CMx1 is just too ugly to sell a game in 2007, much less 2010.
The 3-man hack (I like that phrase) is just fine IF you're selling to wargamers, but they decided they didn't want to sell to just wargamers anymore.

And as I've babbled about before, there are ways to get a ten-man abstract squad visualized that would have been more successful than the mess they created.

-dale

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The 3-man hack (I like that phrase) is just fine IF you're selling to wargamers, but they decided they didn't want to sell to just wargamers anymore.

And as I've babbled about before, there are ways to get a ten-man abstract squad visualized that would have been more successful than the mess they created.

-dale
I dunno. I think it would look pretty odd if you had more than 3 men move in unisono like the 3 did in CMx1. If you don't want them to move in unisono you are back to some TacAI figuring out where each man is. (this doesn't mean that this position would be used for combat computation, though)

In my own CMx1 clone I would have implemented it as 3-man but a switch to give you 9 (or 12 or whatever) men that you can position with the mouse. The purpose being that you play with the blob but when you want to take a screenshot you add some eye candy.

Kineas

Colonel General
Reaction score
Country
llHungary
Over the years it's become one of the reasons why I played CM less and less. 95% of scenarios have forces that are way too big crammed onto a map that is way too small and you end up with a ridiculous killfest.
Yes, but this is on purpose, CM is basically a miniature wargame, in which the players set up the forces (always a pitched battle), then boom, 30% casualty is the average per game. (Rough guess based on my pbem experience).

Simulating engagements which better fit into an operational context would be less fun for many. The gameplay also would be too slow, I suspect.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had a bunch of posts here I think where I describe an abstracted squad that has individual guys appear and disappear to give the illusion of many guys. That would have been one approach. Yours would be another. I think almost anything would be better than what they chose.

-dale

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, but this is on purpose, CM is basically a miniature wargame, in which the players set up the forces (always a pitched battle), then boom, 30% casualty is the average per game. (Rough guess based on my pbem experience).

Simulating engagements which better fit into an operational context would be less fun for many. The gameplay also would be too slow, I suspect.
The key here is the players. I can remember one game against... I can't remember - OGSF? we played a LOT for a while - where we spent a few turns getting our rather large forces shaken out, mine into a line of attack.

Then he tried a 150mm rocket barrage.

Got very lucky and he pretty much had 2/3 of my Brit infantry battalion broken or shaken or dead in 45 seconds. So I called off the attack and we started a new scenario. No "but"s, no regrets, just a clear win for him and a chance to go again. Not all players will respond well to that kind of choice of course, but I tend to avoid playing those types anyway.

That was another oft-forgotten purpose of the MBT by the way, a group of folks who had similar-enough playing styles that a good game was always available. Not a lot of ladder-hogs in the MBT.

-dale

avl90

Reaction score
I was wrong. I know a couple of you follow on the official boards anyhow but for those of you who don't - http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?p=1145032#post1145032

There is abstracted cover. Hallelujah. :smoke: Steve doesn't want to give details but someone could probably test it out, if they had a lot of time and ambition to do so.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Yeah, we would need to see a save game of that. We did put in some fairly recent changes (last month?) to better support walking onto roofs from adjacent buildings. The testers hammered at that and a few problems were found and fixed. But buildings are very complicated, situationally dependent elements and so I wouldn't be surprised if we missed something. After all, this is why most games don't allow you to enter into buildings at all:D
This from Steve yesterday in response to a complaint on the forum that soldiers in British Forces are walking through walls and into adjacent buildings rather than onto rooftops as ordered.

"Most games"? The only game I know of that didn't let troops go into buildings was TOW.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This from Steve yesterday in response to a complaint on the forum that soldiers in British Forces are walking through walls and into adjacent buildings rather than onto rooftops as ordered.

"Most games"? The only game I know of that didn't let troops go into buildings was TOW.
Panzer Command also has this problem, or at least the first incarnation did.

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I don't know that it's that clear-cut. I mean, no RTS that I can think of allows troops to walk around in buildings; you "garrison" the building and the unit becomes an icon inside it. But every first-person shooter allows you to walk around in buildings; how stupid would it be not to? So the real question becomes, when Steve says "most games" what is he comparing to?

And I suspect that working out the answer to that would be very instructive about who they think their target market is and who they think their competitors are.

(Though it seems to me this might have been done already some, either here or on dosomefink.)

John

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
And I suspect that working out the answer to that would be very instructive about who they think their target market is and who they think their competitors are.
Agreed. But do you think Steve really took that step before making the comment? I got the impression it was just more hyperbole in the "slick car salesman" kind of way.

"Hey, no other manufacturer offers a smooth shift like this one, with electronically enhanced hydraulic motion - how much do you know about cars?"