Bridges

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyone ever destroy a bridge with a unit on it? How about a friendly unit? How about a friendly unit on it that is the unit that destroys the bridge?

Bucket list items for sure.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Follow up--I've always assumed a bridge hex is destroyed, but the rules say the bridge is destroyed with no reference to hex. Does that mean if the first hex of a four hex long bridge is hit and destoyed, all four hexes' bridges are destoryed?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Anyone ever destroy a bridge with a unit on it? How about a friendly unit? How about a friendly unit on it that is the unit that destroys the bridge?

Bucket list items for sure.
I once used a tank in an attempt to collapse a wooden bridge, which did actually work out.

Similarly, I once took chances to cross a frozen river with a ht avoiding the only bridge. That was risky buisness but I was lucky and caught the opponent offguard.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Follow up--I've always assumed a bridge hex is destroyed, but the rules say the bridge is destroyed with no reference to hex. Does that mean if the first hex of a four hex long bridge is hit and destoyed, all four hexes' bridges are destoryed?
I think if you try to blow up a bridge, there's a rule to figure out how many 'spans" (i.e. bridge locations of that bridge) are affected. Didn't doublecheck, though.

von Marwitz

j23flo

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not sure I played it correctly but I had a bridge destroyed when an ammo truck was struck and detonated sending the printed Bridge into the stream below.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
I think if you try to blow up a bridge, there's a rule to figure out how many 'spans" (i.e. bridge locations of that bridge) are affected. Didn't doublecheck, though.

von Marwitz
There is, though it's been a long time since I have seen that particular rule.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not a bridge, but I did manage to blow up a pier with a 10-3 and 7-6-8 on it with a mistaken attack from a FB with a 150 lb bomb that scored a critical hit.

Made my Japanese very happy that day on Betio.