Bridge at Remagen on amazon prime

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The movie Bridge at Remagen has been added to amazon prime. I love the opening music and it has some good battles scenes. Lots of fun scenery chewing too. ?

Paul

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
It's an underappreciated gem. Not only is almost all the equipment correct for the period (though not necessarily the battle, as the real battle was one of the few instances of M26 Pershings actually seeing combat) but the whole film really gives an evocative feel of what it was like in the last weeks of the war for both sides. Cautious and tired Allies not wanting to be the last casualty of the war, and an increasingly confused German command structure relying on foreign "volunteers" and cobbled together units, forced to keep fighting by the political apparatus.

I wouldn't call the acting "scenery chewing" - the film is populated mostly by B-list actors (Ben Gazzara and Robert Vaughn are the biggest names among the principal cast) who gave very realistic performances. The lack of star power makes this one seem even more realistic. It's fun to go on YouTube and look at 60s and 70s TV shows like 12 O'Clock High and Combat! and see some of the actors from this one, like Bradford Dillman, doing guest roles.

I agree the music is terrific - all the way through.