Brevity Assault unboxing and overview

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I strongly agree about the map paper...better paper is demanded for future releases.

Very interested in trying out this product...North Africa gets almost no love in the ASL world.

Semper Fi!
Scott

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am super curious about approximately how many scenarios would typically be played in the full campaign game.
Any estimates?

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am super curious about approximately how many scenarios would typically be played in the full campaign game.
Any estimates?
There are map setups for a total of 19 different battles (3 on HASL maps), so we know the maximum number...I would venture to guess that you would not be likely to play every one in a CG due to the operational level aspect of the CG determining when an actual scenario is played. (Battles can take place at either operational or tactical levels when they do occur...I am still reading through everything.)

Semper Fi!
Scott

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any estimates?
Well, for the full CG there are 18 operational dates, meaning you are moving operational units around during those 18 turns. Conservatively if you assume you have just one combat situation at a major (or secondary) location each date, you're talking 18 scenarios...and there are probably 50 locations where operational units can meet. Each scenario lasts 5-7 turns (random length, and there appears to be the ability to Withdraw from the battlefield)

Something I didn't mention in the video is you can have an ASL scenario generated at secondary locations (small circles) as well. Those scenarios use a randomly generated desert board setup (with no overlays I think, just pure desert).

From the look of it you could potentially play A LOT of scenarios to resolve the full CG. I just don't have a feel for the density and action at the operational level that will lead to a certain number of combat situations. I've also not sat down and read through the details of every page of special rules, I'm just winging it from a high level scan.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was also wondering about what happens at the secondary circles.
Sounds like you could get hundreds of scenarios (at least theoretically).
Any playtesters out there who have an idea of a typical range?

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I strongly agree about the map paper...better paper is demanded for future releases.

Very interested in trying out this product...North Africa gets almost no love in the ASL world.

Semper Fi!
Scott
Also better counters with a non gloss finish, also better packaging as my maps were all damaged due to not enough protection , maybe try and make the maps the same size as the rules and scenario cards to better protect the maps .

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I was Quite wary about this concept. On all fronts published a similar module many years ago. How do you balance a scenario that is generated at an operational level? Not cheap either. I’ll pass.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
How do you balance a scenario that is generated at an operational level?
The whole point of the operational level - I presume - would be to generate unbalanced scenarios at the tactical level. Best way to win.

If you're looking for nail-biters every time, the product isn't for you.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
The only way to use an operational level game is to base the VC on the "Campaign" and not the scenarios. The point of the scenarios would only be to write down the opponents operational order of battle until you can obtain the CG win. Interesting concept but one frought with problems due to the nature of the three armies involved.

While understanding the choice of battles due to its 'brevity' (two days), Brevity is a curious choice in one respect. Except for the initial hours of the two day operation when the British achieved operational surprise, they would actually be outnumbered by the Italo-German forces available at/near the frontier. Their attack was a hasty affair aimed at relieving some pressure on Tobruk and mustered just four tank squadrons (two each of Cruisers and Matilda II) plus a few infantry brigades. Rommel would react quickly and soon turned the tables.

It would be interesting in learning more about the operational system before laying out US $105 for the kit.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The whole point of the operational level - I presume - would be to generate unbalanced scenarios at the tactical level. Best way to win.

If you're looking for nail-biters every time, the product isn't for you.
good points Michael. For me, with the limited time I get to spend playing ASL, I’d prefer to spend that time on scenarios that are reasonably balanced. Nice concept, to add context to the bigger picture, but I can get the bigger picture by upscaling to an operational level wargame on the topic. Given the rising cost of wargames here in the U.K. I now find I have to be a bit more circumspect about what I buy. I still buy far too many, or so my wife tells me, but I no longer Automatically buy a product just because it is ASL.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think that this is where their method for "alternative combat resolution" comes in--if the two players agree, you can resolve the battles with a few DR rather than a whole ASL scenario. So you could resolve all the totally-unbalanced-looking battles that way, and save your ASL-time for the ones that look like they would be the most fun to play.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think that this is where their method for "alternative combat resolution" comes in--if the two players agree, you can resolve the battles with a few DR rather than a whole ASL scenario. So you could resolve all the totally-unbalanced-looking battles that way, and save your ASL-time for the ones that look like they would be the most fun to play.
Heads I win, tails you lose.
Works for me.