Brevity Assault pack available for pre-orders!

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ordered via Gamers Armory.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Both Advancing Fire products look excellent and truly tempting - not to mention their two other CGs coming down the pike. But Alas! There are so many fine-looking HASLs just appearing right now. How to choose?!

But I do like the Operational Level added to this Brevity Assault module. Did playtesting reveal about how long a competitive, well-played CG will take altogether? Too many variables, I'm sure, but what was the full experience like?

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Both Advancing Fire products look excellent and truly tempting - not to mention their two other CGs coming down the pike. But Alas! There are so many fine-looking HASLs just appearing right now. How to choose?!

But I do like the Operational Level added to this Brevity Assault module. Did playtesting reveal about how long a competitive, well-played CG will take altogether? Too many variables, I'm sure, but what was the full experience like?
Experience is funny, desert enviroment helps a lot in doing a quite realistic Operational/ASL work because terrain is quite monotonous passing from a zone to another. It it was ETO terrain there would be more strategical or tactical elements and everything becomes more complex (but we are working on one of this). Furthermore, its very important the operational units "deterioration", that means that when an operational unit looses more than 70% of its initial DVP strenght, it is automatically eliminated, and when it looses 50% it must confirm on each operationl turn, with a TC, its stay in play. Other aspects of the operational units are to be motorized or not, to have fuel (for which we used KGP rules), not to be in Low Ammo conditions, and to fight with too much strong or weak enemies from which aspects derive consequences both for ASL scenarios and for operational game dynamics.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So which hexes of building S26 are actually building hexes and which are not?

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Building hexes (and indeed all terrain types other than hills, I believe) do not need to have the terrain depiction on the hex center [B.1].

JR
They do, however, need to be the dominant terrain type.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, and they are.
I agree, but I can see how someone might argue that the buildings in T16, U17, and S18, for example, are so small that it strains the definition of "dominant". FWIW and IIRC, I think the original board 4 had a similar problem with one of its hexes, and it was rectified (the "outhouse" made bigger) in the SK-style remake.

IMO, there's some interesting things about this map but there's some small details (like this one) that make things unnecessarily uncomfortable. Minor nitpicks.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I agree, but I can see how someone might argue that the buildings in T16, U17, and S18, for example, are so small that it strains the definition of "dominant". FWIW and IIRC, I think the original board 4 had a similar problem with one of its hexes, and it was rectified (the "outhouse" made bigger) in the SK-style remake.
While I understand your thought, I believe the word "dominant" was chosen (rather than, say, "majority") to avoid having any situation that requires measuring. In many cases a single hex woods or building does not cover 50% or more of the hex. Usually the terrain covers the hex center, and players don't even think about the matter. I think the question of "dominant" terrain is a matter for when there are two non-open-ground terrains in a hex (e.g. woods and brush), and that Open Ground does not participate in terrain dominance. As I recollect some BFP maps have mighty small woods, but I don't think anyone misplays them. There may be some early printings of maps where the printing alignment allows small slivers of buildings to slide into the next hex. Those cases are a bit more problematic.

JR

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I think the question of "dominant" terrain is a matter for when there are two non-open-ground terrains in a hex (e.g. woods and brush), and that Open Ground does not participate in terrain dominance.
This is my interpretation as well. I've not yet knowingly met anyone who has played it differently.

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
They do, however, need to be the dominant terrain type.
We like to make historically accurate works and, first of all, maps. If we are to be submitted to the hex dimension when designing buildings, some of them will not be drawn in their original forms. We know that is possible to represent a building not being in the center of the hex, since there are precedents in ASL, and so we prefear in some cases to do so...

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Note on the Advance Fire website for Biazza Ridge - the 45th Division is known as the Thunderbird Division (not the Thunderbolts).
A typo, thanks

Last edited: