Brevity Assault AAR

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
In this thread we will post main moments of Brevity Assault CG III “CAPUZZO-SIDI AZEIZ SECTOR” last playtest on VASL. The campaign game depicts the western side of the Operation Brevity battle, when the British 7th Support Group attacked north trying to take Sidi Azeiz to cut the withdrawal of Axis forces toward Tobruk and Durham Light Infantry attacked Fort Capuzzo strongpoint along the Via Balbia road. The Operational game will be fully playable on VASL. The eastern locations as well as the roads and tracks leading to them are not in play.

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
These are the main objectives of CG III “CAPUZZO-SIDI AZEIZ SECTOR”.

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Its Turn 2 in the Operational Game, British have assaulted Fort Capuzzo with three infantry companies and en-portee AT trucks and a big battle is starting. A British Armoured Car troop is teasing Axis forces in Bir Hafid. A strong Allied force is preparing to attack Sidi Azeiz on the left.

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
In Bir Hafid the British AC Troop has been reached by two German infantry companies and an IG section. Players choose to play the combat with dice, i.e. not with an ASL scenario, and the result is that the AC troop becomes Reduced, losing two of the three AC it had. No effect on the German force from this combat.

In Fort Capuzzo Axis is defending with two Italian infantry companies, one of these is a Bersaglieri motorcyclists in the MOVING state, plus an AA Gun and a light Artillery sections. A German infantry company and AA section will reinforce them from the north. British is attacking with three infantry companies and a couple of en-portee trucks troops. They will apply Air Support by Hurricanes of the 274th Squadron. Players have chosen to play the ASL scenario.

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
This is a screenshot of the end of Allied Turn 2 in the ASL scenario derived from the situation in Fort Capuzzo location in Operational Turn 2. Both Players has delayed the infantry from outside map, to make it enter the map dismounted, so only a troop of Australian captured 47 en-portee trucks (new vehicle type provided in Brevity Assault pack) was in map in Turn 1 for the Allied side. Axis player has launched a brave platoon of Bersaglieri motorcyclist to attack Aussie trucks and destroyed one (it is where there is the Italian mortar -2 Acq). Then an Italian AA 20L Gun, placed inside the wrecked Fort, has taken a couple of lucky shots on the other two trucks. First OBA shots from both sides are in map. Axis player will move German reinforcements in map in his next turn.

Last edited:

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe you could ask the moderators for a sub-forum for your project, as it seems a sub-set of ASL (sort of like SK) and thus folks could go to one spot (folder) to find all about it, versus having several threads on the main page?

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Folks, this game needs to meet its pre-order to be published and the ASL world is depending on you to help make it so. You can pre-order this game at http://advancingfire.com/.

When and if this product comes out, it will represent the single greatest attempt at innovation in ASL since the development of SASL in the late 1990s. That's 20 years folks. It has the potential, if it works as planned, to have the same sort of innovative impact on ASL that the development of the HASL did in the early 1990s.

True innovation is quite rare in ASL and it is up to the ASL community to embrace it and help it to grow when it does emerge. I wrote about the lack of innovation in ASL some years ago here: http://www.desperationmorale.com/2010/04/25/same-old-same-old-the-presence-or-lack-of-innovation-in-asl/

Come on, guys, why don't you take a risk and help this new ASL product come to fruition? You could be giving yourself a huge present and not even knowing it!

Last edited:

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Folks, this game needs to meet its pre-order to be published and the ASL world is depending on you to help make it so. You can pre-order this game at http://advancingfire.com/.

When and if this product comes out, it will represent the single greatest attempt at innovation in ASL since the development of SASL in the late 1990s. That's 20 years folks. It has the potential, if it works as planned, to have the same sort of innovative impact on ASL that the development of the HASL did in the early 1990s.

True innovation is quite rare in ASL and it is up to the ASL community to embrace it and help it to grow when it does emerge. I wrote about the lack of innovation in ASL some years ago here: http://www.desperationmorale.com/2010/04/25/same-old-same-old-the-presence-or-lack-of-innovation-in-asl/

Come on, guys, why don't you take a risk and help this new ASL product come to fruition? You could be giving yourself a huge present and not even knowing it!
If it wasn't in the desert, I would seriously consider buying it. Once I see the desert boards, my adrenalin level drops completely......but I will keep an eye out for future products!

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
If it wasn't in the desert, I would seriously consider buying it. Once I see the desert boards, my adrenalin level drops completely......but I will keep an eye out for future products!
You should try it, it is very fun SINCE it is in the desert.

Last edited:

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To emphasize what @Pitman said, I've been doing some proofreading for this project, and while they asked me not to spill any beans, I think it would be OK to say this:

This is clearly a very well-thought-through idea, there is nothing like it in the ASL world (or really anywhere in wargaming, as far as I know) and I'm very excited to see it come out. Even if you aren't that interested in the DTO, you are gonna want to see what they are doing if you have any interest at all in designing CG-level stuff.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It doesn't hurt to support a new ASL publisher even if their first offering is not exactly to their tastes. Nourish the roots and who knows what wonderful fruits could drop from the tree!

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I think they should publish even if it does not reach the pre-order number. It would soon sell out.

ASLurker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I did my part a couple weeks ago and pre-ordered both. Looks very interesting.

And for those who don't like the desert, they have other scenarios and HASLs that don't take place on pure desert. For example:

Jumbo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think they should publish even if it does not reach the pre-order number. It would soon sell out.
Yes, a thousand times.
For those gorgeous maps alone.
I think these guys may very well lack awareness of just how nice their products are.
Now, to do some preordering of their stuff, my self!!!

Jumbo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tried to preorder both "Brevity Assault" and "Biazza Ridge", but kept getting bounced between paypal and the advancing fire order page.
Try again tomorrow.
All four of those are buys for me.
Looking good, guys.

Teddy Horan

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Mark,

Would you elaborate a little further on why you feel this product is so innovative and will be so impactful to the ASL community? What kind of fruits could you imagine falling from this tree amongst other ASL publishers? I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on the pre-order and just looking for a little more insight to push me over the edge.

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mark,

Would you elaborate a little further on why you feel this product is so innovative and will be so impactful to the ASL community? What kind of fruits could you imagine falling from this tree amongst other ASL publishers? I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on the pre-order and just looking for a little more insight to push me over the edge.
Speaking for myself, I believe it's the way the CG becomes an actual Operational level mini-game. I believe the Operational component can be played out two ways, 1) via a series of scenarios that might be linked via CG rules, or via separate activities using rules on the Operational map (see above). I don't know exactly how they move an operational battle to an ASL battle (boards, terrain, etc). But they do have rules for converting the operational level units to ASL tactical level units.

I've never seen this done before and it's a neat idea. Maybe Seb can provide more info on exactly how it works.