The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hi all,
I purchased Hitler's Final Fortress, Breslau 1945, by Richard Hargreaves, Stackpole Military History Series, 2011, 268 p.
I was hoping to find good details of military operations, but those very tightly written pages are more an accumulation of generalities and individual witnesses, with very vague and partial data about the units and operations involved.
This comes as a big disappointment to me, as I that series seemed to address the need of data on military operations.

I haven't found other books on the siege of Breslau in 1945.
So I am asking if someone knows of an exploitable book on the topic ?
Pete Shelling was able to design the excellent Urban Guerrillas on that situation, so he must have found good sources...

Thanks in advance for the tips.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I would add that Wikipedia is more precise, but refers to Hargreave for some points.
It could be possible that no better source in English exists and that I will rely on that book and on Wiki.

Tesgora

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hello Robin,
My understanding is that there is not much in terms of sources on the siege of Breslau, in particular for the German units involved. I believe Christopher Duffy, Red Storm on the Reich has a chapter on Breslau. There is also the memoirs of a Dutch Waffen SS Hendrick Verton (In the Fire of the Eastern Front) that include details on his participation in the siege of Breslau. Also, some histories of German paratrooper units (e.g., James Lucas, Storming Eagles) cover very briefly the participation of two battalions of the 9th Parachute Division that were sent by gliders into the city during the siege. But I have not seen detailed accounts of their fighting after their landing. There is also a French book on the siege: Jacques Bressler, Breslau, une forteresse impregnable, but I cannot speak to its quality as I only saw its cover. Good luck with your research.

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Robin, I know the Goliath demolition vehicles were used in the defence of Breslau. Possibly any books written about the Goliaths will include chapters detailing there use in action. Just a thought.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Thanks to both of you : I didn't notice your answers until now (I have toggled off any email notification).
I was wondering where Pete Shelling found his data for Urban Guerillas...
So it is scarce.

Mike205

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How about something on the glider landings on Breslau's boulevards? Would be an interesting scenario for the German player to try to land supply gliders in an urban setting, then have to venture out into no man's land to recover them.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
You might see if the Wroclaw library has archives about the siege. Just a thought, don't know if it will be of any use but good luck in your research.

Strangely the battles at end of the war never interested me that much. A time I should really check out.

Last edited: