Breaking News - WaPo faults Trump for Hurricane Florence.

Tater

Star Spangled Spud
Climate scientists of the respected variety agree that what we're witnessing around the globe with the extremes in weather (including the Carolina's) is due in large part to human's use of carbon fuels. Of course other factors are at play, and so say the same climate scientists. This isn't the same thing as saying all of what is being seen is 100% related to humans. And you talk of zealotry....
Are these the same respected scientists whose email exchanges prove that they have been cooking the data? The same ones who created all the models that have been absolutely and categorically wrong in every case? The same scientists competeing for $billions$ in research grants and know if they include reference to “climate change” and/or “global warming” in their documentation that they up their chances?

Real scientists don’t campaign for conclusion or consensus...they keep studying and accumulating data.

“Science doesn’t tell us anything, scientists do.” Scientists are as subject to bias just like any other person...subject to self interests...politics...agendas...etc...

Paul M. Weir

First name
Paul
This all reminds me of a hot topic of the late 20th century between anti-science conservatives and lobbyists versus scientists:

Whether tobacco was harmful and a leading cause of lung cancer.

OK, here's another:

Whether lead in paint was a health risk especially for children, also lead in petrol.

Yet another:

The risks of asbestos dust/fibres.

In those and many, many more cases, industry fronted by conservative politicians fought against regulating such industries and denounced such regulations as "liberal plots". So anything that did not instantly melt you like an "Indiana Jones" character got their thumbs up, the more insidious and long term the better. Unfortunately they are still getting their way in places like Flint. In other places I would not regard cooking my dinner by turning on a water tap then lighting the output to be a bonus due to nearby fracking.

DWPetros

Money before people. That has always been the main underlying motive that drives the GOP and it's members. And it's not just money - its 'My Money'.

It's a universal dividing line - always has been. The individual vs. the community. Me or Them. Selfishness vs Selflessness. We all have parts on both sides of the line, but the GOP has made it a successful platform.

Brian W

In 2011, Pinellas County's (which contains Saint Petersburg, Florida USA) Republican council members voted to stop adding fluoride to the drinking water supply. Two of them were voted out of office and the democrats returned to adding fluoride to the drinking water. Something so far fetched that it was a joke 50 years ago caused the republicans to suspend fluoridation.

Sparafucil3

Staff member
First name
Jim
Money before people.
I don't believe this for a moment. We just have different approaches on how the people should be helped. I don't believe either side treats people out-right badly. WRT money, I happily pay my share but it's never enough to fill the hole that's eating at your middle. -- jim

Dave68124

Money before people. That has always been the main underlying motive that drives the GOP and it's members. And it's not just money - its 'My Money'.

It's a universal dividing line - always has been. The individual vs. the community. Me or Them. Selfishness vs Selflessness. We all have parts on both sides of the line, but the GOP has made it a successful platform.
Didn't an Eastern European country try this out and it failed miserably?