Breaking News - WaPo faults Trump for Hurricane Florence.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The religious zealots of Global Warming are at it again.

Obvious it is the man's fault, because he controls the weather - oh wait that's not right. It will be the first recorded Hurricane EVER to hit the Carolina's - oh wait that's not right either. Due to Global Warming we will have record rainfall for the area - oh wait, that's not right either. (Maybe has more to do with a high pressure system over the North Atlantic and another over the middle of the country that has more to do with the speed of Florence than Global Warming).

So much for the love of science....

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wouldn't it be convenient to think the subject of Global Warming was either 'mans fault or nature's fault'? It's not such. Binary thinking will get you nowhere.

Climate scientists of the respected variety agree that what we're witnessing around the globe with the extremes in weather (including the Carolina's) is due in large part to human's use of carbon fuels. Of course other factors are at play, and so say the same climate scientists. This isn't the same thing as saying all of what is being seen is 100% related to humans. And you talk of zealotry....

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Of course if you are religious you could see this and last year's hurricanes/storms as divine punishment on the US for electing Spanky whose spawn-in-law has the number of the beast, 666 Fifth Avenue on his books ;):p:D.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think there is evidence enough that, at least within Congress, it's the standard conservative position to be anti-science / pro-business. That is their platform - money first, money always. This isn't news. Whether in private life these same Congressmen are just as bone-headed is another question, but at least on the surface...

https://newrepublic.com/article/141227/republicans-war-science-just-got-frighteningly-real

"As many conservatives see it, environmental science is an enabler of dreaded government regulation. When enough studies show that there is no safe level of lead in water, then we have to regulate lead pollution. When scientists agree that mercury pollution can effect developmental health, then we have to regulate mercury. And when scientists agree that excessive carbon emissions threaten public health and welfare—well, you get the point. An obvious solution, for those seeking to avoid such regulation, would be to prevent that science from seeing the light of day." - author

So, while their pro-money position isn't in itself an argument that they're anti-science, the pro-business GOP usually tacks towards money over other factors such as health and safety. Their being pro-science doesn't really work that well for their careers.

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Elder Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think there is evidence enough that, at least within Congress, it's the standard conservative position to be anti-science / pro-business. That is their platform - money first, money always. This isn't news. Whether in private life these same Congressmen are just as bone-headed is another question, but at least on the surface...

https://newrepublic.com/article/141227/republicans-war-science-just-got-frighteningly-real

"As many conservatives see it, environmental science is an enabler of dreaded government regulation. When enough studies show that there is no safe level of lead in water, then we have to regulate lead pollution. When scientists agree that mercury pollution can effect developmental health, then we have to regulate mercury. And when scientists agree that excessive carbon emissions threaten public health and welfare—well, you get the point. An obvious solution, for those seeking to avoid such regulation, would be to prevent that science from seeing the light of day." - author
Who controls the teachers unions? You just made because your whole dumb down the population is being used against you? -- jim

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Who controls the teachers unions? You just made because your whole dumb down the population is being used against you? -- jim
"Conservatives are stupid because public schools made them that way, Liberals control public schools; ergo, Liberals cause the stupidity of Conservatives'.

interesting logic - or did I misunderstand your point?

Last edited:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Conservatives are stupid because public schools made them that way, Liberals control public schools; ergo, Liberals cause the stupidity of Conservatives'.

Yes, somehow Obama did it if you dig far enough.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wouldn't it be convenient to think the subject of Global Warming was either 'mans fault or nature's fault'? It's not such. Binary thinking will get you nowhere.
I guess you need to tell that to the Washington Post's editorial board. It was their comment.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why do conservatives hate science?
Why does the Washington Post liberal's hate science? Their whole argument of why it is going to rain so much is global warming and Trump. How about it rains so much when the low pressure system stalls out over an area impacted by a high pressure system to the north and one to the west such that the low pressure system cannot move.

Why do you guys hate science?

Sparafucil3

Elder Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

As valid as anything you put forth in the quote. Generally speaking, education is the bastion of the Left. If you have a problem with the outcome, you know where to look. I do believe the elite left never thought someone would come along like Trump and use the dumbing down of America so devastatingly effective against you. -- jim

Sparafucil3

Elder Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, somehow Obama did it if you dig far enough.
If I had wanted to say it was President Obama's fault, I would have. I am quite capable of that if the need arises. I actually think as Presidents go, he was pretty good. -- jim

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Ouch.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Liberal's must be in mourning today. Florence was downgraded to a Cat 2 Hurricane. I am sure the fact it went from a Cat 4 to a Cat 2 was also a result of global warming. :rolleyes:

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since we are talking about education, here is a report from the WSJ that doesn't fit the liberal narrative.

One crucial aspect of a successful college experience is how students learn.

Engaged students sharpen their critical-thinking skills, figure out how to work in teams and translate abstract academic concepts into real-world understanding.

The engagement score in the Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education College Rankings—measured mainly through roughly 189,000 survey responses over the past two years—monitors how challenged and inspired students feel inside and outside the classroom, as well as the breadth of courses their schools offer.

You can filter the WSJ/THE rankings or customize them to focus on your own priorities.

Eight of the top 11 schools for engagement have a religious affiliation. Those institutions often include in their missions the education of the entire student—body, mind and soul—and put a premium on group projects, mentoring and self-reflection.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-colleges-where-students-feel-most-engaged-1536188185?mod=hp_featst_pos3

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What exactly is the 'liberal narrative' and how does it not fit this reports findings?

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
As a.non American, I now have no idea what you're all arguing over. Or is it all just bitchiness because no one likes each other?