Breaking and Broken - in German

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
What is the correct or established German translation for "breaking", and a "broken" unit? I learned ASL from another beginner, we had no connection to the German ASL scene, and we said "Die Einheit zerbricht (weil sie den Moralwurf nicht geschafft hat)." und "Die Einheit dort ist zerbrochen (und sogar mit DM markiert)." without much thinking about it.
I have heard some experienced wargamers using "brechen" und "gebrochen", instead. "Die Einheit bricht"/"Die Einheit ist gebrochen". And it makes sense, somehow. Man kann den Willen und die Moral eines Mannes brechen, die analoge Benutzung im Bezug auf eine ganze Einheit bietet sich an. Und hinterher ist das ein "gebrochener Mann", oder eben eine "gebrochene Einheit".

But what does the "scene" out there say? Are there other established German ASL terms out there?

tunixx

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Never spent a lot of thoughts on this but "brechen" seems to be the natural translation to me. IMO "Zerbrechen" means that something is broken and the state it was in before cannot be restored, so I don't think it fits well in this context.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I always thought the proper term was gefucken. ;)

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
What would be a good translation for "Advancing Fire Phase"?

Fortunato

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I'm an ASL newbie and by no means an expert when it comes to actual infantry tactics of WW2, but I'd figure "Sturmfeuer-Phase" (emphasizing that the advancing unit is firing whilst storming forward) would be an appropriate translation.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The US Army put together an absolutely brilliant German-English MILITARY dictionary that is available for free online.

Check it out here:

https://archive.org/details/TM30-506

It's specifically geared toward the military words and jargon of the Second World War era.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
To be honest, I would not bother with the attempt to find proper German translations. It would be an endless undertaking. And if you are done and then afterwards anyone should actually learn the German terminology, he would be an ASL-illiterate for anyone else: Nobody would know what he is talking about and no one would be able to answer his questions if he wants to know something about the 'Sturmfeuerphase'.

So take my advice: Save time and effort and abstain from introducing a new German termiology.

von Marwitz

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I'm an ASL newbie and by no means an expert when it comes to actual infantry tactics of WW2, but I'd figure "Sturmfeuer-Phase" (emphasizing that the advancing unit is firing whilst storming forward) would be an appropriate translation.
I would say "Bewegungsfeuer" comes close.
(German) Army doctrine: No fire without movement….No movement without fire.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To be honest, I would not bother with the attempt to find proper German translations. It would be an endless undertaking. And if you are done and then afterwards anyone should actually learn the German terminology, he would be an ASL-illiterate for anyone else: Nobody would know what he is talking about and no one would be able to answer his questions if he wants to know something about the 'Sturmfeuerphase'.

So take my advice: Save time and effort and abstain from introducing a new German termiology.

von Marwitz
Agree which is why its snoogiewoffer...to most of us.