Braunschweig Fungwu vs Rasmus III (the thrilla in Stalingradilla)

Fungwu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
:freak: OMG! YOUR RUINING EVERYTHING!!!!!!&^$!!!!:blab:

Last edited:

fulcrum

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Hi, Are you playing with the historical OOB???

I think that if the german use 11th Army and all “maximum effort” reinforcements
is too stronger for the soviet player. My last two games as German was easy with this units... Now I think that with historical OOB the game coul be more difficult for the german and more interesting but I have to check it...
thanks for the AAR...it´s one of the best scenarios of east front

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Hi, Are you playing with the historical OOB???

I think that if the german use 11th Army and all “maximum effort” reinforcements
is too stronger for the soviet player. My last two games as German was easy with this units... Now I think that with historical OOB the game coul be more difficult for the german and more interesting but I have to check it...
thanks for the AAR...it´s one of the best scenarios of east front
We are playing with the historical forces. I agree that the germans simply becomes too strong with the extra formations. This is different than it was in COW. I have yet been unable to find out what has caused the increase in german strength.

fulcrum

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
the germans simply becomes too strong with the extra formations. This is different than it was in COW.
Do you think that german force is more stronger playing with TOAW3? It´s strange. Have you choose any new optional rules?? If you use the new flanking rules the game have to be more hard to the german..but I don´t know that can benefit to the german this toaw version

fulcrum

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Playing BERLIN - Götterdämmerung with Toaw3 as soviet I´ve found that several german, romanian and minor allied units are reconstitued behind my lines. With CoW I hadn´t this problem before. In my current game I selected "No borders" and I think that this could be the cause. Have you found this problem in your game, Rasmus?

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Playing BERLIN - Götterdämmerung with Toaw3 as soviet I´ve found that several german, romanian and minor allied units are reconstitued behind my lines. With CoW I hadn´t this problem before. In my current game I selected "No borders" and I think that this could be the cause. Have you found this problem in your game, Rasmus?
Enemy units will reconstitute behind the lines if there is hexes that are still enemy controlled. This makes some sort of hex conversion programme essential, you also need to patroll your railroads and major supply routes.

We are playing with advanced flanking rules, but is still my feeling, that germans are able to do advance easier than what was possible in COW.

fulcrum

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Enemy units will reconstitute behind the lines if there is hexes that are still enemy controlled. This makes some sort of hex conversion programme essential, you also need to patroll your railroads and major supply routes.
Yes, I know that but I think that these unit were reconstituited in non enemy controled hexs but with non borders option I can´t check it..:bite:
....I think that this is the last time that I use this option.:laugh:

Fungwu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 22:

I have tallied up my losses so far: (this was at the beginning of the turn before any fighting)

26,031 Infantry squads
9329 Mgs and At rifles
7654 AT guns and artillery
11,009 mortars
1,463 tanks
and 1,152 aircraft
plus some thousands of AA guns, armored cars, horses,trucks, and other assorted things but I was too lazy to add them up!

I have included a screen shot so you can see the exact losses by type, on hand and replacement rates for my infantry, aircraft, and tanks.

Loss penalty at the beginning of the turn was 187 axis to 294 soviet or 1.6 to 1.
After some combat it rose to 234 axis 345 soviet, or 1.5 to 1. So my minor offensive operations have generally had a positive effect.

In the North I had been just making artillery bombardments and minor tank attacks, but this turn I moved to full blooded attacks with tanks and infantry on ignore losses. I attacked along a frontage of 4 hexes and after a ton of bloodshed and some of my infantry evaporating I managed to take 2 hexes, that could be easily counterattacked by Rasmus. Not too impressive.

Rasmus has fortified infantry battalions with At units backing them up, and large amounts of artillery. A formidable defense.

In the Batumi area I had partially surrounded a Slovakian division last turn, This turn I fully surrounded him, but failed to destroy the division, so it has a chance of escaping. Rasmus sent a panzer regiment to reinforce his 2 rumian divisions that remain in this sector. For me, a few new units reconstituted in Batumi so I was able to add to my defenses.

In the Caucasus Rasmus made a few attacks pushing me back a little. I moved up some reinforcements and made a few small counterattacks.

On the Caspian front my bridgehead from last turn was annihilated. I managed to retake Machalkka from Rasmus, so he will have to retake it if he wants to use sea transport in the Caspian.

Fungwu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 23:

Pretty similar to turn 22

My turn was burned after only a few attacks, so no progress on my part.

Rasmus made some small progress here and there.

Fungwu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 24:

A much better turn.

In the North I finally broke the German lines and I destroyed a lot of rifle infantry. I am waiting to see what Rasmus can counter with.

Panzer regiment Grossdeutschland makes quick work of my lines outside of Batumi and is on the outskirts of the city. It will all be over soon.

In the Caucasus Rasmus is pushing through with some infantry, but I have more reinforcements coming up to bolster the line.

On the Caspian Rasmus retook Machalakka, but I counter attacked and took it back (again)

desert

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JUst move all those infantry back to the city....

I don't think a weakened tank unit can break through a few fortified divisions.

In fact, why not attack that infantry unit and surround both it and GD?

Last edited:

Fungwu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I did move some back to the city, but if I moved them all his other units would surround me and the casualties would be insane.

I did try to attack the infantry regiment behind the panzer division which, if successful would have let me encircle the panzers, but I had no artillery and a whole brigade evaporated trying to make the attack.

Also at the beginning of the turn I still had that slovakian division surrounded, so th units on the right spent their time eliminating that unit and couldn't move much afterwards.

desert

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I see. So I was talking about the Slovakinators, but if they were unavailable....

What about that MG unit with 18 AP? Was that part of the attack on the Slovak division?

Fungwu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you check the screen shot for turn 22 you'll see 2 mg brigades. One attacked the slovakian division, the other evaporated attacking the German infantry regiment that is behind the Panzer regiment.

Everything else up there is a red health infantry regiment.

Fungwu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 25:

Not much to report.

In the south I decided to hold back on my counterattacks after having a tank brigade evaporate.

Batumi held off the German tanks for one turn. I'm not sure how much longer they'll hold, maybe not even for next turn.

I regrouped my air units to allow them to rest up prepare for offensive operations.

I am probing Rasmus' line west of Machallakka, screenshots will come later.

In the North I managed to take all of one hex, and that could very easily be recaptured. I attacked an undug german infantry battalion with a fresh tank brigade and infantry division, the infantry division evaporated after 2 rounds, and the Germans remain, that should give you an idea of the weight of defensive artillery fire.

L`zard

Strangely Deranged!
Reaction score
Guys,

Just for clarification, Who's design is this...McBride's?

And which version, eh?