Braunschweig 7.1 AAR

Bloodstar

Reaction score
Country
llCroatia
BRAUNSCHWEIG 7.1 TOAW COW AFTER ACTION REPORT

Ahh, dear reader – finally this battle of gigantic proportion is over! It was not easy at all – during the game I suffered some time from sore hands (some sort of IRS), now is better but it was really painful few weeks – so battle was really heavy and I was quite obssesed with the game... Obsession was rather becoming madness hehe – I imagined that I am German paratrooper while I was taking a tram to donwtown of Zagreb (I live in Croatia). This was one of the best TOAW scenarios that I've ever played – now I can add some mumbo-jumbo philosophy but it is quite clear that TOAW can be very rewarding game in corelation of how much imagination you as a player are prepared to put into game.
I am not saying that TOAW is perfect, far from that and this game also showed many of TOAW flaws but as a system is still quite good – enough to provide simulation of some important campaigns. This scenario is huge and you must be prepared to think ahead and to fight many battles – even then you might have some small chance of success (esp. If you are playing German side). On a side note, TOAW can be a really strange experience – few years ago I was very much in love with one 19 year old, gorgeus girl – but when I was going to sleep I was not thinking about this girl but about my next move in TOAW. Yes, we players of TOAW must go to doctor sometime. ;)
This game started on 6th March 2003 and lasted 42 turns, it ended on 7th june 2003. not very much time because game is really huge, map size and number of units also...
I played the German side and Jason Raven (Raver) played the Russians. Few words about Raver style of play – he is very tough player and sooon he will be first on a ladder of Warfare HQ, I've learned a lot playing with him and I wouldn't beat him if he had played only this game. I was playing only this game and I have thinking a lot of different strategies during this game. Also, do not start this scenario if you don't know TOAW system very well, all tricks, and you must actually read DOC file that comes with scenario many (MANY) times and actually understand what designer (Daniel McBride) wanted to simulate. Best if you print it out and read while you taking lunch, bathing...
While we played the game I was also communicating with Daniel to let him know about my objections about scenario and to ask him about some bugs. I will later explain about this bugs – but be prepared for them because scenario is tested only for 1.03 while most players have 1.04 TOAW COW – but all situation can be simulated (almost all...) even those that are affected by those bugs, it just needs some goodwill of players involved... Scenario is intended to be played by expert TOAW players (those with 2000 Chessmaster points hehe, so like TOAW Kasparovs) because you must play it to actually see how deep it is, everything is there that can punish you if you don't take it into consideration, movement rate, units density, attrition divider (high), terrain bonus, etc... Daniel have tried to really simulate events from July 1942-February 1943 during very dramatic clash between Red Army and German (and German allied) forces. What is especially nice when I asked Daniel to tell me what is good book from German point of view about Eastern Front – he told me to get Paul Carrel «Hitler moves east», which I did bought on ebay because book is out of print. When I have read those parts in Carrel's book that are actually from same period like period simulated in this scenario I discovered that Daniel have really consulted this book and others to make as historically accurate and interesting scenario, and he succeeded in this. I am also history fan and have many books on WW2 and Eastern Front – and it is a real pleasure when you read a books based on same events like scenario that you actually play – this in fact gives TOAW another dimension that lacks here...
As much as TOAW is genius system it have many flaws –
TOAW cannot represents a real operational maneuver because it's hex system – this is old thing but in the future it must be designed with another approach, also experiments with we-go system will show (Battlefield game) is it possible to make more realistic game (here every player have advantage and disandvantage at the same time).
Also, when scenario designers like Daniel Mc Bride are killing themself to make scenario as correct to history as possible and when this is moved to TOAW system it again cannot simulate historic events with so much accuracy. I will explain – how TOAW can simulate Balk's 11th Panzer Division and how Balck by using method «we sleep and driving tanks by night and in the dawn we fight Russians» have managed to smash one Russian corps after the other of Russian 5th Tank Army and to actually weaken fighting force of whole army and make their offensive go to a standstill. (book Panzer Battles, Von Mellenthin). You cannot do that in TOAW!
Actually whole system of proficency is good but flawed and can't actually make good historic representation of German High Command superiority on a tactical or strategic level.
The numbers here are also playing some strange game of itself. But, that's maybe a idea for another incarnation of TOAW – like experience of commanders and their skills, experience of units, morale, more detailed model...
Because of TOAW system player will not get what he expects – I will talk about German side) – in this scenario there is very good designed movemenet rate of Kleist units who by the book were sometimes advancing 60 miles per day south of Rostov! That was a time when Russians were given orders to retreat so there was not many fighting... In scenario player will also advance very fast there but on a Stalingrad way – due to hex system, scale, many Russian units, fortified status of a city, rivers, movement penalties, you cannot repeat story of a German 16th Panzer Division who made a way from briedgehead on a Don river to a Rynok (north suburb of Stalingrad) on a Volga in just one day (23rd August, 1942)!
OK, maybe I am asking too much!
Also TOAW system of killing surrounded units is easy and I admit also this as a German side, it helped me alot – minimize losses and almost all surrounded units are easily defeated, evaporated. Not in the books – it is not quite easy to kill some units, even when they are surrounded (example of Russian units that have defended for weeks in some balkas)...
TOAW system of movement penalty needs reworking – it is not same when a whole enemy division is making you pay movement penalty and when some remnants in size of a strong company making you pay movement penalty(and they are occupying whole hex – in reality they would not)!
Also when you play this scenario you will take your hair from your head out of desperation when you realize how good
T-34 (and generally tanks) are in defense (OK, mixed with some other units AT, INF etc...). And ussually Raver would put his defense behind the river, and with hundreds of guns behind so lossed were really heavy in some times...
Again, TOAW system here is flawed I think – if you read the books German have had many difficulties dealing with T-34 esp. in 1941. but they have tactically made them less dangerous and even infantry have had success destroying tanks... Not so much in this game. Due to TOAW system of numbers, and little people who are turning out math behind this system – you can sometimes attack remnants of some Russian tank brigade with plenty od arty support and fail to take the hex! Same for attacking some units behind the river – they are like Supermens when we speak of inflicted casualties... Sometimes I have had someting like 52% of losses in front of Stalingrad - BRRRRR!
Reason is simple – TOAW system is in fact random math system but T-34 and KV-1 have been given high defense rating and also armour is almost invurneable to arty and that's why 10 or 20 tanks can bleed your invincible, great German regiments to death. Real slaughter hehe.
Don't get impression that I didn't liked the scenario because of this flaws, I really liked it very much, in fact player can get used to some TOAW «stupidity» and take it as granted.
In fact, TOAW is simulating something which didn't happened – due to lack of manpower and Russian tactical stupidity – Germans didn't yell URAAAA!!! and rushed to opposite trenches just to fell due to fire of arty or MG 42 but Russians did – TOAW cannot simulate Russian tactical stupidity which have granted them so much losses in WW2.
For TOAW everything are numbers, cold numbers... Also, TOAW cannot simulate warfare tricks like capture of Maykop oilfields by Brandenburg commandos and some other situations.
Daniel was clever – much clever than Hitler was ;) and he put some additional units for Germans (and for Russians), this was due to game balance and also made this scenario a lot more interesting and even added possibility to win as Germans (which I did)...

Historical background:

The brave German armies faced daunting task, many would say impossible task in Summer of 1942. The main problem here was that they failed to take Moscow during 1941. If they had captured the Moscow which was a great city, railroad crossroad, capitol – it would be blow to moral of Red Army and also maybe it will bring to collapse Soviet armed forces. But, Hitler was a big gambler and risk was too high, he lost time at Kiev and he failed to take Moscow – also he suffered great losses during last offensive and Red Army counter-offensive in winter 1941/42. Due to spy reports Soviet also knew that Japan will not attack them and they have transeferred many crack Siberian divisions around Moscow. German's on the other hand, still had UK in Europe as a enemy, also America was also now their enemy and it was just matter of time when new front will be open in Europe. Germany was faced with greatest fear of war on multiple fronts and this was beyond their strength.
This scenario is however, simulating one last big chance, offensive of Germans to deal a series of blows to Red Army and their economic resources which might on the long run make some better position of Germans. Even then I think that Russian Bear was far from dead. Aim of German offensive was to destroy as many as possible Soviet divisions, preferably in encirclements. Stalin was expecting offensive on a Moscow way and now was there not possible fluid operations in classical German blitzkrieg fashion. Way to Moscow was full of Soviet divisions, that were fortified in deep echelons. So, logical step was offensive in the south, German divisions were up to 85% of their operational strenghth and also great prelude to offensive was second battle of Harkov which have ended in complete Soviet fiasco.
Also, in spite of less quality and even less quality and number of weapons, German allies have also promised help (Hungarians, Rumanians, Italians etc...). Big mistake was to put them on the flanks of advance of German 6th Army – this actually led to Stalingrad disaster. So, the Germans wished to destroy Soviet forces on a banks of a Don and Volga rivers, cut supply of Allied lend-lease to Soviet (Persia through Caucaus), capture Stalingrad, Astrakhan, whole of Caucaus with Soviet navy bases, Maikop, Grozny and Baku olifields... It was great plan, but too grandious. Also, German forces were too few and they failed on many locations because they lacked one last battalion who will prevail... Supply was also insufficient on such a great distances. By the book Russians were also a bit clever this time (also they have captured some plans of German initial objectives in Plan Blau) and they have adopted new tactic – to rather retreat and to wear down Germans but not to let be encircled and actually this tactics worked better than Stalin's stand fast and die...
What makes this scenario esp. great was some «what if» settings which is not so much in the field of SF. Scenario offers that you as German player choose to employ some units that were not originaly fighting in this campaign but with some better understanding of situation could have been employed. You are getting whole of Manstein's 11th Army, elite Grossdeutschland and Leibstandarde divisions, some other units, and also 22th Luftlande and 7th Para divisions which makes scenario much more interesting. So, in this scenario everything is here – paradrops, airborne invasions, mountain fighting, trench warfare, special-commando operations... I have just one objections regarding units, proficiency of elite German para and airborne units are 70% and some Cossack units Panwitz that you get later have 90%. Hmmm, don't know why is this – because I know that German para units were best of best... So, basically you have enough units to capture main objective, Baku and some other minor objectives, but you must be very fast, also you must preserve your force and make big damage to Russians. Real problem here is that Soviet reinforcements are really huge – it is just another scenario were attacker start with some advantage but with time defender gets so much reinforcements that he can stop attacker (if he knows how) or deny main objective to attacker. But, what is more annoying and maybe completely ahistorical is that Soviet replacemet rate is ridicoulously high, Soviet get's someting like 1000 rifle squads per turn (half week turns), while German get 250 heavy squads etc... From turn 30 Soviet also get's boost of 30% up in replacements. The game becomes like chess party where second player gets all his pawns and horses back on a table in few turns. I know that even historically Soviet and German players were reconstituted many units but I just can't grasp that those reconstitutions happened so fast!
During game I have destroyed many Soviet divisions (50-100, I don't know, I didn't count) but they were very soon back on board. Anyway, scenario designers must make some rewards on player that actually win all those battles – hey – I've expected that if I inflict so much damage to Red Army that it will be easier later – but heck it is always the same, Russians are always big in numbers and whatever you do – they will grow, grow, GROW in numbers and your only hope is that you push them back, destroy them as much as you can and capture your objectives while you can. Same old TOAW shit.
OK, maybe there is also some historical sense here but mainly Daniel have done this because to make some balance so whatever who is winning and who have TOAW tempo and dynamics on his side (German at least first 30-40 turns) – will have big difficulties to reach objectives...
Anyway, since map was so huge and with so much units there my initial plan was to actually try to capture Stalingrad, and I have prepared also Grossdeuschland and Leibstandarde divisions to blow Russian defences around Kalach. On south I have sent other forces and my plan was to be fast there and time is really here of greatest importance. Map is so huge and you cannot just plan which units to send where, but you can fine adjust this in time and send units to sectors of front that most need them at tham moment. German player is in quite difficult situation because many times he will not have number of soldiers that he needs and he will improvising. OK, I admit, I am lazy  and it could be better AAR that I was writing this as I was playing – maybe I will forget something but I'l try to point all important things that I've encountered during play.

Now, you'll get screenshots of important events and brief explanation what happened during turns.

TURNS 1-5

Of course I've took «11th Army in Crimea» theater option, I doubt that scenario can be such a fun without this additional forces.
In first turn I have made some mistakes because I already played this turn when one player have droped from the game. First mistake, I didn't realized that I have only 2500 train points which is not enough to move big forces by train and I have lost one turn or two – because I wanted to entrain Grossdeutschland and Leibstandarde divisions and some other forces – for strenghtening central front of 6th Army, for assault toward Kalach and making a bridghead there, it was better that I have send them marching there. On a side note 6th Army is low on supply and I was also suprised that 6th Army is not so strong as I was hoping and as some books suggested (Germans are suposed to have 2:1 advantage in tanks in front of Stalingrad but they don't have such advantage...). Anyway, first few turns I have destroyed some divisions on Stalingrad way, some were encircled, but many have retreated behind Don. Start was not so promising, as Jason was entrenching his untis behind rivers, and tried to delay my advance as much as possible. Anyway, by turn 5 I have captured Kalach with elements of 3rd Mtz. Division and Grossdeutschland division, I also made a small bridgehead near Chir station. Losses were a bad sign of what I can expect to get to Stalingrad but this was just a beginning.
In the south those NKVD fanatics in Rostov have put some good fight but they were not a match for my veteran «kamaraden». Jason tried to delay my advance in the south by blowing every single bridge that his demolition parties laid hands on. This have slowed me few times but it was not so much of a problem (partisans as well). I have divided some pionire units in 2 units to repair many bridges in just one turn. I have also divided all rail repair units in 3 units because it is essential to have railroad on main routes of attack (toward Stalingrad, Grozny, Black Sea coast etc...). Railroad is important also for moving reserves to critical points quickly. Also, I knew that attack on central front will be dificult so I prepared some units to take Kotelnikovo from southern wing – later I realized that I it was not enough.
The map is huge and as you making progress as Germans you realize that you must keep almost every unit of your forces and inflict big casualties on Russian side and be very fast to reach some objectives. Tikhoretsk fell without fight, but there was some fighting around Kuban river, Armavir, Maykop, and north of Cherkessk where Jason have placed some units on a mountain peaks. It is very hard to destroy unis on a peaks, there was also one Russian Mtz. brigade that was putting brave fight on a peak, hex just before Don river. Second turn saw a brilliant attack of 11th Army across Kerch straits. I have used here three phases artillery bombardment by heavy RR guns that have blasted way to Sevastopol month ago(they were later useful in bombarding Henderson field, on Guadalcanal, oh sorry airfields near Stalingrad etc...). After that I have attacked with two inf. regiments Taman and have succeeded to dislodge and cripple one full Soviet rifle division. You must be really fast here, it is essential that 11th Army are ferrried across Kerch as soon as possible and not allow Soviets any rest here (it will take some time because 2500 sea point limit). Anyway Jason didn't know but I have prepared special assigment for 11th Army – this Army was not just aimed toward capturing of Black Sea coast and Soviet naval bases along the way, but also they were given the task of capturing Tbilisi from this side, and my hope was that I could bring Turks on my side to help me (more about this later). Anyway, soon I realized that as in any TOAW game you must put big attention on terrain were fight will take place. Good commander will not attack on places were defending forces are expecting him – you must choose time and place of attack by yourself! I was not very keen to actually attack frontally any of those Caucasian passes because I knew from my earlier TOAW experience that entrenched units on mountains get a tremendeous bonus and it is very hard to dislodge them from those hexes. Anyway if I have attacked there I would have to split my forces and then maybe it will not possible to capture Mahachkala on time, and bellieve me this town is key to success here.
Jason have made some tactical mistakes but he was also in lack of units for good defense in this first turns and many times he just retreated. Now, I can say that it was on my benefit that he retreated because I would lose time for destroying his units, but maybe he was afraid that he will not have units for defense later. Anyway, Jason retreaded from Novorosiysk, Anapa – maybe he could have defended Novorosiysk till some renformement arrive but maybe it would be in vain. Also, retreat from prepared Kuban positions and some mountains around Mineralnoye Vode (except some delaying units) have also been caused by my unexpecting, shattering suprise from the skies...

COUP DE GRACE FROM THE SKIES

As my grandfather Erich Von Manstein once told me: «My son, I am old but only way to beat 3rd ranking player on Warfare HQ is based on complete operational suprise, use 22nd Airmobile Division and take Grozny!!!»
So I took advice from my grandfather very seriously and on turn 3 I have launched airborne attack on Grozny, and Mozdok. Before this operation, I have destroyed all Soviet Air Forces – they were back as reconstituted units few turns later but then I didn't know that. Grozny was not defended (big mistake)!
Mozdok was defended by some small units and I have attacked this town with one regiment and I have taken this town – attack on Mozdok was used because I knew that Jason will try to recapture Grozny so Mozdok was important in delaying this approach toward Grozny. Mistake here was that Mozdok didn't have supply points (airfield were you could put forward supply point by theather option was quicly taken by Soviets). Good news was that Grozny get supply point when you capture it (up until turn 30!), also when you capture Grozny, Soviet cannot get one whole corps that was scheduled to arrive in Grozny! So, with this magnificent move you completely disrupt his forward defense so he have to retreat from his prepared positions. By forcing him to march toward Grozny, he is losing supply – just like yourself but trick is to ruin his defense here, and not allow him to make continuous defense front (remember this newbie reader)! Also, my plan was that 2 regiments of 22th Luftlande and HQ defend Grozny until they can link with units that were advancing from the north.
So, with this move you practically deny Soviet player good continuous defense and also make him attack your airborne units so that when you arrive with a bulk of forces his units will not be ready for good defense (because they will lost too much supply by then – on another hand supply is much more important for offense in TOAW – for defense not so much).
It was big risk but fortunately for me, it worked. I have calculated that my units will arrive in 3 turns, but they were linked on turn 10 (it took them 7 turns to arrive, big mistake here, my operation officer was wrong). Jason have tried to destroy my airborne units and have destroyed HQ and one regiment in Mozdok which he recaptured soon but he didn't capture Grozny. OK, I've sent there some small additional para forces 5 or 6 turns later when they have showed up, but anyway it was very risky situation.
Due to my air superiority, I have put all my bomber units (also I have moved some to Grozny, later I had to move them back because they came under arty fire) to combat support – I think that this helped a lot in defense like mobile artillery for my units in Grozny (one of my dirty little tricks). Supply point was also useful because it helped a lot in replenishing supply and reinforcing units in Grozny. This move was really highlight of whole scenario and one that will be used as example on all African TOAW military academies errr... joke... hehe.
I've sent one airmobile Brandenburg commandos unit to cut his railroad from Astrakhan to Grozny, earned some VP, anyway this is vital railroad and both players must take this area into consideration for supremacy and by flow of the game this area along with Machachkala is vital for success of any side. With a capture of Grozny there was one bad news for me – Jason got whole army down from Voronezh and he employed it on Stalingrad defense, it was trigger set with some ods. When I captured Mozdok I've got also two Chechen partisan units, they have been useful a little bit, nothing has changed in this part of the world for centuries, even now as was long time ago people of Caucaus of muslim origin didn't quite get used to Soviet ruling

Bloodstar

Reaction score
Country
llCroatia
Turn 6-10

Jason was unlucky with his recce mission with some engineer unit, he just crossed Don in vicinity of Boguchar where my Italian units were stationed and I've got activation of my Don reserves (ouch). This unexpected reinforcements was compromised of few panzer and few infantry divisions, it was not vital but it helped me. I also put one panzer division behind Italian forces just to sit there – this is very weak front sector all the way to Serafimovich and you must make available some forces to cover this sector prior to Soviet counterattack – German player must make some fine tuning all the time with his limited forces. On turn 6 I have used theather option «Bombing of Stalingard», which gave me shock bonus few turns. It didn't helped me much, I made a progress but with very big losses. You must be very skillful TOAW player to get maximum here, so you must use artillery preparations, multiple phases. Also I didn't used trick with one AT unit(or some other small unit) attacking some stacks (limited attack/minimize losses) with plenty of arty support, who knows maybe I would captured Stalingrad, but maybe not. Anyway, maybe it was better that I didn't captured Stalingrad because this would stretch my front lines even further and Germans don't have enough units to cover front so good. So, this fighting around Stalingrad was mostly trench warfare which I actually hate in TOAW – and I am glad that scenario offered many places for deep maneuvers, outflanking, and all others possibilities.
On northern flank of my advance to Stalingrad I've decided to just make some defense behind big river of Don, it was not possible to attack on all possible side because of lack of units. On turn 9 Jason have infiltraded one little pesky AT unit on this sector – I don't like that anyone ruin my supply system so I destroyed this units – so it was nececary to cover all hexes behind river with something.
During those attrition battles it was also possible to make some encirclements and some tactical moves which yielded some spectacular gains and at this time I was still hoping that I will reach Stalingrad. Anyway – frontified Soviet position north of Kotelnikovo has proved extremely difficult to breach frontally so I made one attack across Don north of Poteminskaya and other attacks from south – this completely disrupted Soviet defense here and many units were destroyed here, some tried to retreat and were destroyed later – but as long as you make them retreat from those damned hexes behind river it is just - *great*.
Also I captured piece of land across Don all up to Buzinovka which also forced Soviet forces south of this line to retreat otherwise they would be destroyed. Croats – known as good soldiers failed to make a bridghead across Don near Peskovatka. Losses were really heavy in this period and it is best to avoid situation when losses are bigger than replacement – this is not good!
In the south I have started «Baku Bombing Campaign» on turn 8 (theater option). I am attacking with two bomber unit (house rule) for five turns, they are taking some damage because they are attacking Baku oilfields without fighter escort.
Here we encountered first bug – it was supposed that Soviets get 800 train points for 13 turns – in fact Soviets get more points few turns after this option is taken – so it is adviced that Soviet player simulate this rule by not moving more that 800 train point capacity per turn. Anyway this is very important because Jason have started to acumulate units in Grozny area – anyway this is balance thing and if Soviets stop Germans at Grozny then they have chance to win.
Scenario is very good because many turns neither player knows what will happen. Maybe it is stupid that I now give advice to Soviet players of this scenario, but I think that Astrakhan must not be overlooked. I, as Axis side didn't consider to take this city, OK I had one idea but it was not good. If I took Astrakhan I couldn't keep it because it is very easy for Soviets to cut supply from north-south so I would lose few precious divisions there in vain. But, Soviets can take any unit that they don't need around Stalingrad (but they must made sure that Stalingrad not fall!) and move it to Astrakhan – there they have option to take it by land south to Grozny and to attack Germans there or to transport them by sea to Mahachkala (I think that Soviet player must hold this city by all means!!) or even to Baku if threatened.
So, by turn 10 – I have established some weak link with my airborne units in Grozny, but they were still in danger. Also, my forces have captured Armavir, Maykop, Georgiyevsk, Pyatigorsk, Nalchik – at this point I was trying to bring as many as possible units for attack around Grozny and to take Ordzhonikidze, I was in need of those Turkish intervention cities (to bring possible turkish intervention to 100%).
On the Black Sea coast things were not so hard and I've took Tuapse and Sochi, losses were heavy but I couldn't afford to wait here...

Bloodstar

Reaction score
Country
llCroatia
TURNS 11-15

On Stalingard front, I have soon realized that it will be almost impossible to take this city. Losses were so big and advances were just few hexes here or there. Losses of Red Army were even higher but time was on Jason side and those huge reinforcements and replacement rate was also on his side. I was also trying some other tactics, to attack Stalingrad around Sarpa lakes but soon I was bogged down here as well. I didn't wanted to activate his emergency units so I didn't come near Volga and I've took only one hex south of Krasnoarmeysk (those units will start to come to Soviets from turn 20 anyway). I was hoping to collapse his front west from lakes and to roll it then north, but it didn't happened – his line was already too strong and my units too exhausted and lacked a punch.
Jason have counteratttacked here, but with not evident success.
I was bogged down around Sochi-Adler, Jason have entrenched some units behind river, and with lot's of arty support behind. This way of attack was very important for me and I was trying every possible way to clear this way but progress was very slow. I have made some massive air and artillery attacks on his artillery, I was trying to destroys some of his guns. In order to bring Turks (17 divisions!) into play I made paradrop to one little town called Kutaisi. Para unit was soon destroyed but now I had 7 turns (5% chance each turn) to bring Turks to game.
Near Elista and south of Elista I have destroyed some Russian divisons that were trying to sneak up behind my lines. I didn't have enough forces to capture Astrakhan but this part of front is very enjoyable for play and you must improvise very much to make any success here.
I have captured Ordzonikidze with my para unit (big Jason mistake for not guarding this city), also I have infiltrated some recce units behind his lines so Jason retreated few of his divisions from his prepared line, others were destroyed and I have linked up with my forces around Grozny that were in serious position as Jason was bringing fresh forces there. I have destroyed some six divisons west of Grozny in encirclement action and situation was getting better – trick here is to destroy as quickly as possible his forces around Grozny and to get to Mahachkala. One HQ unit was used in good purpose to seal this pocket (I have transported HQ by air there).

Bloodstar

Reaction score
Country
llCroatia
TURNS 16-20

Big losses, somewhere bigger than 50%, I am thinking to completely call off attack on Stalingrad but now I am attacking more in order to glue as many as possible his divisions there. Anyway, Jason have big reserves and he is starting to move almost all his reserves and reconstituted units on thousand miles march in hope that he will outflank me. Anyway, it was really hard to find units to cover whole front but it was not very good move on his account, I made just one correction of a front (later) but his units were too exhausted to make any good offensive. But, it was good for my offesive on the south because he didn't tried to concentrate his forces at some point there – maybe game would be much different if he has tried...
I have also sunk some of his ships during these turns, Stukas are made for this. Again Jason is attacking around Stalingrad. I have also took few hexes but now I see that Stalingrad is out of reach. Around Adler I am still bogged down but my mountain units are helping me to keep going, and in turn 18 – Turks have entered into game (HOORAH!) and Jason is starting to withdraw his forces toward Tbilisi, and Baku. He is also moving complete 45th Army from Turkish border (except few units that Turks have destroyed) toward Baku defense line (Kura river). Turks have entered to the scene at 50% supply (very low) but I must rush them at once into combat. Initial battles with Turks were not very good, they have attacking encircled units, something like whole Turkish army against Russian armored brigade and armored brigade is still alive at the end of the turn. Bizzare.
But, Turks have later showed better performance because they are good in outflanking Jason forces, because he is in full retreat here.
Around Grozny Jason have just barely escaped from Falaise or Stalingrad pocket size but this time around Grozny.
History can be cruel sometimes, in this game at least.
Interesting, around Grozny I didn't have big advantage, just 2:1, so I had to destroy portion by portion of his forces – frontal attack was suicide...