BR:T Q&A clarification for 8" guns

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Guys...I need clarification for following Q & A depicting BR:T

Q: Per T8.1 & T15.6141 do the CG automatically begin with two 8-in. Guns? May the Japanese purchase an additional two 8.-in. Guns?

A: Yes to both. :crosseye:

My question: When the Japanese start the CG already with two 8 in. Guns on Green Beach, for what are the other two ( as mentioned under the 15.6141 table, they may not set up on Green Beach )? Do they represent the 8 in. on the other end of Betio? What has this for an effect for the game? I think the only reason is Japanese Counterbattery Fire!? The Americans can´t dastroy them, cause they are not on the board, so they are pain in the a.. ! Is this right? Any other option is not historicall, i think.

Regards

MK

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
8" guns

Michael,

You're correct, two of the 8" guns can be purchased in CG III (not sure about CG I or II). Purchasing them would represent a what-if scenario of the defenders putting them in a different spot than they were historically (as you mention, the histotical place is just off-board).

From a tactics point of view, the the guns could go practically anywhere but most likely to be useful towards the far end of RB3 or Black beach 2 where their minimum range wouldn't be so much of a problem.

I don't think many defenders would buy them though. As you mention, while the guns do have a major impact on NOBA access chits, they are very vulnerable to FB. The 120L and 140L are much better purchases.

Paul

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I think too that the guns are to expensive/vulnerable...but who knows!?

Thanks for your help, Paul.

MK

Hexagoner

Reaction score
Michael,

Paul is quite correct on all of this. There is one thought I had, tho:

There might have been a reasonable purchase strategy for the 200Ls IFF (If and Only If) the Palm trees were treated as an in-season Orchard. Then they could set up in a hex that could be blind to the FBs and provide valuable counterbattery or possibly spotted fire for quite a while. Such a hex as L46, E56, or M9 could work.

If such a strategy were used, the Japanese would probably puchase the rest of his Guns using much less expensive items.

hex

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Fortunately this is not possible :D

I´ll be one of the Marine players in our up-coming CG...so i´m checking all what and ifs.

MK

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
The 2 8" Guns in D5 & E6 have Vehicle crews per T8.2, any _purchased_ 8" Guns will have Infantry crews per T15.6141.

Hexagoner

Reaction score
Hi countermann!

I don't have Ch T handy, but doesn't rule section T8 apply to ANY 8-in Gun - not just D5/E6?

hex