Bounding First Fire Blackpool 2018 - UPDATE:

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Thank you to everyone that has already notified me of their intention to attend (and also to those who have responded otherwise). And thank you also to those who have already begun to make early payment, taking advantage of the early bird offer. To remind you, the Paypal address for early bird payments, is boundingfirstfire@gmail.com.

It does us a huge favour if people who are definitely attending can take the early bird offer as we do have some outlay (ie. some additional prizes beyond what Bounding Fire and Battle School dice have been absolutely wonderful in providing) to pay for. There will be a random draw for a much sought after mystery prize for those who are able to help us out here (no, don't worry, it won't be my band's latest album available from all good record shops, Spotify etc.).

Please don't forget to register your attendance with Pete at View From the Trenches as you would for other UK tournaments (pete@vftt.co.uk).

And please also ensure you book your accommodation directly with the hotel using the details previously provided. Any difficulties give me a shout.

Now, they say that no plan survives first contact. You will all be aware that the original plan for this tournament was blind and un-played scenarios. The blind element will remain. However, the scenarios which Bounding Fire have kindly provided for the main event, whilst concluded insofar as play-testing have not been quite finalised aesthetically (to a very minor extent in most cases). Furthermore they are of course Bounding Fire scenarios and therefore in some cases rely on ownership of previous Bounding Fire products for some of the counters. Finally around half of the 15 or so sent to me are PTO. I'm mindful that not everyone on the scene is into PTO and it strikes me as slightly unfair to handicap people unfortunate enough not to play PTO. The scenarios look really ace and in some cases incorporate a new map which hasn't yet been seen by the ASL community at large.

I'm therefore looking for feedback from you, the community. Would you, given the choice, get behind a tournament where the scenarios slightly incomplete in some cases, and where the scenario choice in each round is limited to one? Or would you rather have an element of choice per round? I'm considering, in each round (except the final) there being the choice of three scenarios . A brand new and unseen one for the more adventurous, but two older (and I'll be going for the obscure) ones to allow some choice. For the final we will be using one of the new scenarios (for reasons that will become clear at the event).

Looking for your thoughts. Constructive feedback would be appreciated. Whilst we have our ideas on how we want to structure things, we do ultimately appreciate that it is about enjoyment. I'm sure no-one wants to be steamrollered into battling through the jungle with those Japanese chaps if they've never had the pleasure of the PTO before !

Really appreciate your responses on this (and any other aspect of the tournament).

Genosse Gelb

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
When will the main event start on Friday? I am mainly asking whether it is possible to arrive on Friday evening and still participate in the main event Thanks for your time!

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
When will the main event start on Friday? I am mainly asking whether it is possible to arrive on Friday evening and still participate in the main event Thanks for your time!
Hi there. I'm afraid it will be well underway then, with the second round having finished.

However, my co-organiser will be running his mini tournaments throughout the entire weekend for those who can't make the main one. So there will be plenty of chance for competitive play if you like it.

I note you are in Hessen? I visited a few years back. Hunfeld near Fulda. What a wonderful part of the world !!

Genosse Gelb

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Thanks for the answer, I´ll give it serious consideration for the mini-tournaments. Matt encouraged us to come so nicely, I just cannot arrive before Friday night.

Yes, Fulda is not far from my neck of the woods.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Thanks for the answer, I´ll give it serious consideration for the mini-tournaments. Matt encouraged us to come so nicely, I just cannot arrive before Friday night.

Yes, Fulda is not far from my neck of the woods.
Look forward to seeing you.

Give me a shout if you have any questions.

MArtin

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Any updates Martin? List of attendees?

b e n
The next major update will be the launch of the website which is shortly about to be complete. At that point I shall confirm more information including a brief resume of the scenarios so you know what you need to bring.

All bumping along. A lot of work has been done behind the scenes. Myself in terms of sponsorship (we have some proper surprises) and prize hunting, Simon in terms of creating a website which is a complete first for him. Even play testing the scenarios so that everything is "right" is very time consuming and agonising in equal stretch. Especially so give the 'risky' route we're going down insofar as the main tournament is concerned.

It's not really materialised yet into numbers. Only around a dozen signed up, your goodself included. We need at least 35-40 people at this to make it viable and I personally have to admit to losing a little bit of heart at the lack of interest. We just can't go ahead if only 20 or so are gonna turn up. Charles cannot then justify the hotel opening solely for us lot.

Anyway. My fingers are crossed. the prizes are astonishing. Truly. I'm not just blowing smoke up people's arses here. They will, should they attend, be blown away!

Gives me the chance to reiterate that people taking the early bird option (a tenner !) are doing me and Simon personally a huge favour here because we are ploughing the money from subs back into prizes and the like. If the money isn't in 'the pot' then we're having to fund it at this stage out of our own pockets which is painful, especially if apathy rules (yeah....world's smallest violin.....and all that :) ).

Therefore, the prize draw for all the early entrants will be a prize worth winning!

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
95% certain I'm going with Ray Porter even though we're not signed up yet. Hope it's still going to go ahead even if you're in the 20-25 range though....

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
95% certain I'm going with Ray Porter even though we're not signed up yet. Hope it's still going to go ahead even if you're in the 20-25 range though....
It will go ahead provided the UK ASL community to support it.

Circumstances notwithstanding. Frankly, and plain speaking, if there aren't 40+ people willing to support a tournament which has had lots of time and energy poured into it, will have at least £5-600 worth of tournament prizes and gifts on offer, including sponsorship from BFP and Battle School dice in the format of £350+ of gear, a first view and playing of scenarios about to be released, on boards no-one has ever played on, then it can shift back down to that shit hole hotel in Bournemouth and the 20 people who want to turn up are welcome to it.

Translation - come on everyone, get your arses in gear and get signed up for it.

:)

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I might just show my face for the one day, IF I can swap my day off. Problem is that no one is allowed any time off in November :-(

Ian

Genosse Gelb

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I really wanted to go, but I could only do Saturday and early Sunday (work on Fri & Mon; Matt knows the problem), so it seems not worth the flight. All the best for the tournament!