Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Morning everyone.

Quick update on Bounding Fire Blackpool later this year (hopefully).

We still have a green light as things stand so fingers crossed...
The scenarios are almost organised and we are deep into testing (having a fantastic time with them...bodes well).

I shall aim to do a fuller posting in October at which point the website will have been updated and we'll know the chosen scenarios for the 'Main', the 'Pickup and Go', and the 'Minis' Tournaments.

We'll detail the kit people need to bring as we did last year.

We are considering getting some Tournament T Shirts printed for sale at/around the tournament. We'll sell them at cost price which is £15. If we can discount them (ie. depends on tournament income) then we will. Can people confirm interest to give me an idea of whether there is mileage in pursuing this (we need to provide a minimum order size for the company to do a bespoke printing).

Finally, a reminder that it would be a huge help if people intent on attending could confirm attendance via View From the Trenches and also book with the hotel. There is no deposit payable so you lose nothing if the tournament does not proceed. But it's a huge help to the hotel, and to us, to have an idea of numbers far in advance.

http://www.vftt.co.uk/uktournaments.asp?type=BOUNDING FIRST FIRE 2020

https://www.theheadlandsblackpool.co.uk/

All the best and hopefully see you in November.

Martin/Simon

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
For the first time ever we will get to see the Blackpool illuminations:

Always wanted to see what they were like when switched on.
Joe,

This "illumination show" seems somewhat tepid and underwelming to me. Is it really worth a visit? Instead, i suggest that you again visit me here in Sweden and I take you to some real Christmas Light shows between our ASL sessions.

I enclose a picture of our home in Denmark from the year 2008. The home is now sold and the light have been scrapped, but I have enough contacts in this small community to be able to take you to some nice displays.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Magnus - I would not go to Blackpool just to see the illuminations............ASL would have to be involved :)

It is sad. In its heyday Frank Sinatra performed in Blackpool at the opera house:

The major UK stars all did shows there. You could see three shows a day if you wanted.

Now of course..............

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Guys. I'm sorry to seem harsh. But could you please, please, PLEASE stop coming onto my threads with tournament updates to basically distribute negativity about Blackpool.

It's funny to denigrate places such as Blackpool - but not on a thread when I'm trying to promote an ASL tournament which happens to be in...Blackpool.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Guys. I'm sorry to seem harsh. But could you please, please, PLEASE stop coming onto my threads with tournament updates to basically distribute negativity about Blackpool.
Speaking as a moderator, I second that request. This is not the first time I have seen this.

Reactions: DC

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
Speaking as a moderator, I second that request. This is not the first time I have seen this.
So how do I respond to this posting without veering off topic? I guess I can't. But I CAN make this posting without denigrating Blackpool, and so I will.

This is an internet forum. Not a physical or electronic one-way bulletin board. I realize that the moderators must have a hard job drawing the line between postings to be allowed and postings to be removed, or even when posters themselves are to be banned from the site. BTW, banning me would not be a big loss to Gamesquad, but loosing JRV and others has been a tremendous loss from which Gamesquad may or may not recover.

I am among a group of posters who tend to use sarcasm in writing, and I have had TD's/TD assistants from Blackpool, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Germany and (by email) Borås reacting negatively to my postings. I have for example been particularly critical to the "ASL pyjamas parties" held here in Sweden.

Venues matter to me. I like the city of Copenhagen, Helsinki, London, the city of New York on the way to Albany, the city of Köln on the way to Grenadier, Chicago, Washington DC, etc. Other cities/hotel venues I tolerate. Yet others are of the type where you swallow hard and say "I am here to play ASL". But if the moderators of Gamesquad want me and others to keep our opinions to ourselves, I suggest that some of Gamesquad is turned into a bulletin board.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It was not my intention to cause offense. I'll stop my occasional posts to your threads Martin.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
So how do I respond to this posting without veering off topic? I guess I can't. But I CAN make this posting without denigrating Blackpool, and so I will.

This is an internet forum. Not a physical or electronic one-way bulletin board. I realize that the moderators must have a hard job drawing the line between postings to be allowed and postings to be removed, or even when posters themselves are to be banned from the site. BTW, banning me would not be a big loss to Gamesquad, but loosing JRV and others has been a tremendous loss from which Gamesquad may or may not recover.

I am among a group of posters who tend to use sarcasm in writing, and I have had TD's/TD assistants from Blackpool, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Germany and (by email) Borås reacting negatively to my postings. I have for example been particularly critical to the "ASL pyjamas parties" held here in Sweden.

Venues matter to me. I like the city of Copenhagen, Helsinki, London, the city of New York on the way to Albany, the city of Köln on the way to Grenadier, Chicago, Washington DC, etc. Other cities/hotel venues I tolerate. Yet others are of the type where you swallow hard and say "I am here to play ASL". But if the moderators of Gamesquad want me and others to keep our opinions to ourselves, I suggest that some of Gamesquad is turned into a bulletin board.
Magnus, organise an ASL tournament. Call it Magnus-Fest or whatever.

Then come back to me on this. And let me know whether your opinion has changed. I imagine you'd then understand why it is that five separate tournament organisers have reacted negatively to your input on their tournaments.

Alternatively, imagine how you'd feel if you spent all weekend organising a barbecue and I turned up and criticised your front lawn, the decor in your house, and your wife's cooking.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Venues matter to me.
Lol. Well apparently you never made it to any of the first ten Oktoberfests!!

Brookpark, Ohio. Home to Capn' Taco as the only nearby food (?) establishment, strip clubs, hotel guests having sex in the indoor swimming pool, not enough clean towels, the overflow crowd having to play in the closed down food prep area which became known as Hell's Kitchen and disco night on the floor below with that booming disco beat. How can Blackpool top that?

Seriously one of the most difficult issues about hosting an event is the venue and balancing all the factors involved in a suitable location. Cost, proximity to transportation hubs, nearby food establishments, safety, the actual gaming room, the list goes on.

From the picture of your house it appears you are fairly affluent and most likely used to first class accommodations. We were not affluent and so our concerns had more to do with affordability, proximity and 24 hour open gaming room. Pimping ain't easy and neither is being a TD. I agree with
Martin, you should give it a try, running an event that is, pimping is a whole different matter. Magnusfest has a certain ring to it.?

Never been to the UK and have really only seen Blackpool on an episode of Top Gear but it looks tons better than Youngstown!

Good luck to the TDs and hope your Blackpool event is a spectacular success.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lol. Well apparently you never made it to any of the first ten Oktoberfests!!

Brookpark, Ohio. Home to Capn' Taco as the only nearby food (?) establishment, strip clubs, hotel guests having sex in the indoor swimming pool, not enough clean towels, the overflow crowd having to play in the closed down food prep area which became known as Hell's Kitchen and disco night on the floor below with that booming disco beat. How can Blackpool top that?

Seriously one of the most difficult issues about hosting an event is the venue and balancing the all the factors involved in a suitable location. Cost, proximity to transportation hubs, nearby food establishments, safety, the actual gaming room, the list goes on.

From the picture of your house it appears you are fairly affluent and most likely used to first class accommodations. We were not affluent and so our concerns had more to do with affordability, proximity and 24 hour open gaming room. Pimping ain't easy and neither is being a TD. I agree with
Martin, you should give it a try, running an event that is, pimping is a whole different matter. Magnusfest has a certain ring to it.?

Never been to the UK and have really only seen Blackpool on an episode of Top Gear but it looks tons better than Youngstown!

Good luck to the TDs and hope your Blackpool event is a spectacular success.
Sounds like it was a Navy mans paradise! I must admit though one of my best buds is a Navy guy, though I have no problem with maintaining social distancing in public when he's wearing his USN T-shirts (hey, even his son opted for the USAF Academy).;):sneaky:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Sounds like it was a Navy mans paradise! I must admit though one of my best buds is a Navy guy, though I have no problem with maintaining social distancing in public when he's wearing his USN T-shirts (hey, even his son opted for the USAF Academy).;):sneaky:
It was one of our events that I have the fondest memories of. Didn't sample the delights of any of the other " attractions " but still a fantastic time.

The way things are going with the Navy these days his son probably made a wise choice. Sigh.☹
Captain Bacchus is really giving me a nasty look.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Martin I seriously think your suggestion to Magnus to host an event is an excellent one for a couple reasons.

There is nothing like first hand experience. It may seem simple from the outside until you are the one who has to deal with the difficulties.

The more ASL events the better in my opinion. Plus Magnus could do a great job and have a fantastic event !! If he takes up your challenge I wish him success and the best of luck.

Btw hosting an event can be as much fun as playing in it.?

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Martin I seriously think your suggestion to Magnus to host an event is an excellent one for a couple reasons.

There is nothing like first hand experience. It may seem simple from the outside until you are the one who has to deal with the difficulties.

The more ASL events the better in my opinion. Plus Magnus could do a great job and have a fantastic event !! If he takes up your challenge I wish him success and the best of luck.

Btw hosting an event can be as much fun as playing in it.?
I really would encourage people to host an event on VASL. Do a mini tournament on some special interest, or just indulge in something weird you've thought about. If it all goes south at least you don't have to face the irate attendees!?

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
In a separate posting in this Forum, Melvin Falk writes:

A tournament will be held In Linköping at Rimforsa Strand Hotel 25-27 September by the lake Åsunden with a sauna next to it. Meet your fellow ASL player nude, wrestling opportunities may come about,
I fully realize that sex and nudeness are two different things, but maybe the ASL world has not changed that much since early ASLOK.???

BTW, FrF is an excellent little tournament at a fantastic venue by the lake. I have attended several Rimforsa events since I started playing ASL 4 years ago. Unfortunately family commitments keeps me from attending this year.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

I fully realize that sex and nudeness are two different things, but maybe the ASL world has not changed that much since early ASLOK.???

BTW, FrF is an excellent little tournament at a fantastic venue by the lake. I have attended several Rimforsa events since I started playing ASL 4 years ago. Unfortunately family commitments keeps me from attending this year.
I'm not sure if seeing acres of naked old men swapping ASL war stories is something my psyche could handle.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

And what about sex and nudeness??? ?

von Marwitz

DC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Magnus, organise an ASL tournament. Call it Magnus-Fest or whatever.

Then come back to me on this. And let me know whether your opinion has changed. I imagine you'd then understand why it is that five separate tournament organisers have reacted negatively to your input on their tournaments.

Alternatively, imagine how you'd feel if you spent all weekend organising a barbecue and I turned up and criticised your front lawn, the decor in your house, and your wife's cooking.
I'm looking forward to the first Joe Fest..........