Bounding Fire Blackpool - November 2019...

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It may sound a bit condescending, don't you think?
It certainly is. Remember at this time my interactions had been mainly with people off the forums and the very occasional vasl game.
My memories of "gaming conventions" was of snotty 15 year olds who coukd not cope with losing. I'm very glad to say I was wrong in my experience of ASL gamers but tgat does not affect my initial concerns.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
It certainly is. Remember at this time my interactions had been mainly with people off the forums and the very occasional vasl game.
My memories of "gaming conventions" was of snotty 15 year olds who coukd not cope with losing. I'm very glad to say I was wrong in my experience of ASL gamers but tgat does not affect my initial concerns.
True story...

My two kids used to visit Games Workshop in the summer holidays. They allowed kids to arse around inside the shop all day, painting, gaming, etc. Suspect they've put a stop to it these days.

So I turn up after a couple of hours and there's a guy, about early to mid 20s, playing against my son who's about 13. He's got these pro painted Chaos Knights which he's really proud of. They got completely marmaladed by a unit of my son's Bretonnian Knights.

And...

He started crying. Literally in front of the entire shop. Like a baby.

I've never been inside GW since. Just about the most bizarre thing, wargames related, that I've ever seen in my life.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
To be fair, I was very impressed with GW when Alex started painting them and tried playing. The staff there were great but I'm not certain of the players...

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
To be fair, I was very impressed with GW when Alex started painting them and tried playing. The staff there were great but I'm not certain of the players...
Agree. Superb. I'm sure they've lit the fire on wargaming for many kids over the years.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Of course it doesn't help that most events take place in expensive countries (DK, NO, SE, UK). Things would be different if they occured in Spain, Portugal, Greece or Cyprus.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The only time I walked into a GW shop I saw a staff member wearing a t-shirt with 'Minas Tirith or Bust' and 'All roads lead to Mordor'. Swift exit for me!!

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Of course it doesn't help that most events take place in expensive countries (DK, NO, SE, UK). Things would be different if they occured in Spain, Portugal, Greece or Cyprus.
Countries where people play ASL...

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Few. Else there'd be tournaments running there already. Especially given that it's so cheap...
But given standards of living in southern Europe, it would be all the more expensive to gather funds for a weekend in Copenhagen or Blackpool. Don't think there are many Spaniards enjoying the beaches of Blackpool lol.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
But given standards of living in southern Europe, it would be all the more expensive to gather funds for a weekend in Copenhagen or Blackpool. Don't think there are many Spaniards enjoying the beaches of Blackpool lol.
Honestly and genuinely I have no idea what you're asking here or what the point is that you're making?

Again, I may be missing the point, but if there are significant numbers of players over there why doesn't one of them set a tournament up? People from over here aren't going to travel to Spain to play ASL I absolutely can assure you of that.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Again, I may be missing the point, but if there are significant numbers of players over there why doesn't one of them set a tournament up?

People from over here aren't going to travel to Spain to play ASL I absolutely can assure you of that.
That's fine but then the reverse can't be expected.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Blimey, this soon came around.

A couple of final comments prior to the tournament next week.

There is still one space left for our 'Fire in the East' mini which will run on the Thursday. Please drop me, or Simon (bfpminis@outlook.com) a line if you wish to take part.

In regards to the main tournament, in a slight departure to last year, we will be handing a pack with all five scenarios out at breakfast (8am) on the Friday of tournament commencement which will allow a little more opportunity for study, and also potentially relax the timescales a little insofar as set up times etc. are concerned.

If you are intending to take part in the main tourney but will not be arriving until early Friday morning, please drop me a line on this email address to let me know so that I can organise the draw correctly and on a timely basis.

We are not going to rigorously enforce scenario end times this time around. This wasn't an aspect of the tournament last year which we found enjoyable. However, be mindful that if a player is 'ready' to start a scenario on time and the other player is not (due, for example, to still finishing the earlier scenario) then the player ready will be within his rights, should he or she choose to do so, to enforce the late arrival penalties. We will also take into account such shenanigens if an adjudication process is necessary.

If anyone has any questions or queries, please drop me a line.

See you next week.

Martin

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A big thanks for Martin and Simon in organising the tournament. Had a blast playing the scenarios and meeting up with fellow ASL’ers and meeting new friends and old. Looking forward to next year!

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Safe home now after a 7 hour drive.
Amazing weekend organised by Martin and Simon. Well done you guys!
It went very smoothly and fulfilled all my needs:We'll organised and clear competition, varied and interesting scenarios, close games and victories for me!

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Many thanks to Martin and Simon for all the hard work involved in organising this tourny. Had a great time in the mini's - looking forward to Simon organising the Double One mini's.

As for the Battleschool dice I won - they are staying with me. No eBay :) Thank you Martin for providing two prizes for the draw - that was very generous.

Winning both the snakes and boxcars prizes is going to be a lasting memory................

Last edited: