Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Hi all.

Exciting news. We look like having around fifty to sixty players next week. Which will be the highest tournament attendance in the UK for some time. The Bed and Breakfast we use have already sold all 41 of their rooms in their main hotel, and are now putting guys into their self-catering accommodations. So if you haven't yet booked and intend to attend, then get in touch with the BnB sharpish would be my advice.

I think the most satisfying thing for me is the number of NEW attendees we have coming. I've been regularly receiving emails from guys who either have never attended a UK tournament before, or for whom it's been over 20 years. Including two brothers, who are flying in from New Zealand and Israel respectively! We also have guys flying in from Italy, and a couple of guys from France...International....wooo

I already have 32 confirmed main tournament entrants. I think that number will increase more when we arrive as people decide to enter at the last minute or people report in who haven't done thus far. Which means...given our usual format of four groups of four leading to semi final then final (which people seem to really enjoy)....I've made the decision to run two concurrent tournaments. Which we're going to split by quality/experience. An "elite" and a "first line" tournament if you will. This gives the players somewhat lower down on the quality roster the opportunity to compete on a more equal footing. With no diminishment in prizes - hell we'll just double up on the swag! (Custardpie...how are those additional dioramas coming along??).

The numbers for the Minis seems...gut feeling...comparatively low. I have no doubt that plenty of people will opt to sign up for these when they arrive next week. It seems to be the way people roll. Do though, if you get chance, drop Simon a line on the pre-ordained mail address (bfpminis@outlook.com) in advance if you can.

If you have any late questions, require any clarification on anything, or have any comments whatsoever to add then drop me a line either privately or on this thread..

See you next week...

Martin

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Gents, if someone can send me a scan of the tournament magazine, I'd surely appreciate it. Simply for keepsakes, you'd understand.

Rgds Jack

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Gents, if someone can send me a scan of the tournament magazine, I'd surely appreciate it. Simply for keepsakes, you'd understand.

Rgds Jack
Jack...this is entirely on me. You'll have it by close of play today.

Been a bit of a rough time of late. But my apologies for the delay in providing what I promised I would.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Been a bit of a rough time of late. But my apologies for the delay in providing what I promised I would.
All good! I hope things go better soon for you mate. This tourney magazine is very very nicely & thoughtfully done!! THANKS!!! Rgds Jack

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Would love to see a report on the tournament. Who attended. Games played. Etc. Have heard very good things about the tourney this year and would like to congratulate Martin for running what I perceive to have been an excellent engagement.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Would love to see a report on the tournament. Who attended. Games played. Etc. Have heard very good things about the tourney this year and would like to congratulate Martin for running what I perceive to have been an excellent engagement.
It wasn't bad I suppose, been to better................

Only kidding both Martin and Simon have put a load of work into this and much enjoyment was had

Ian

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Martin - sent a copy of your magazine to Neil Brunger along with the boxcars sniper trophy.

So you and Simon are going to be disappointed to learn that I will not be putting a copy up on eBay 😁

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Dave Ramsay is doing a review in his next Illuminating Rounds episode.

Pete was taking pictures for VFTT.

At least, that's the reason they gave for taking my picture...................

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
Martin - sent a copy of your magazine to Neil Brunger along with the boxcars sniper trophy.

So you and Simon are going to be disappointed to learn that I will not be putting a copy up on eBay 😁
Rare opportunity for Jo Jo Arthur fans everywhere: signed copy of bounding fire magazine ( you did sign it Joe????) (no matter I’ll sign it for you!!)

Available at “Heros” Blackpool 2020??
If indeed I am. 😬😂

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
Rare opportunity for Jo Jo Arthur fans everywhere: signed copy of bounding fire magazine ( you did sign it Joe????) (no matter I’ll sign it for you!!)

Available at “Heros” Blackpool 2020??
If indeed I am. 😬😂
My calendar stopped at Blackpool 2020!!

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
As Heroes 2021 draws to a close (well done Craig) I finally get around to pushing out a review of Bounding Fire '21, and provide some detail on upcoming UK tournaments this year. It's with my sincere apology that this update has taken so long but this year so far has been a very challenging one, with a loss in the family end of 2021, then challenges thus far on the health front. Topped off with my faithful hound being poisoned a few weeks back and a nasty couple of weeks helping her recover (she's back fighting fit now so that's another crisis dealt with).

Anyway, I digress. BFB '21 was fantastically attended with some 44 people in total attendance of whom 34 people attended the main weekend tournament. Thanks to absolutely everyone who came and helped to make the event a great success. One of the most pleasing aspects this time around was the number of new faces in attendance including at least one member of the Clergy (pleasure to meet you Alex) to keep us all on the straight and narrow and two brothers (ditto Josh and Daniel) coming from as far away as New Zealand and Israel respectively. Eoin Corrigan from a little closer (Ireland) but nevertheless I consider this still 'overseas' so he counts as a foreign entrant. And Tim Hundsdorfer from France. Thanks also to new(ish) attendees Mike Bingham, Michael Urquhart, Richard Webb, John Kennedy, David Lincoln and James Hurst. We even managed to rouse co-hosts of Illuminating Rounds' Dave Ramsey and Martin Barker to cross the North/South divide and show their faces.

Simon was also able to run a number of 'minis' throughout the days leading into the main tournament. And these continue the tradition of being a great success and a wonderful lead in to the weekend. And with Battleschool Dice kindly sponsoring them there's prizes for all winners to give that bit of added grit to the competition.

Speaking of Sponsors. Words are not enough to thank you for your support of this annual tournament. Your generosity is humbling and there's simply no way that this tournament would be the success it is without you. Thanks go out to:

Bounding Fire Publications
Le Franc Tireur
Ian Willey 3D Miniature Art
Lone Canuck
Ken Smith Fine Art
Battleschool Dice
Second Chance Games
And also to Chuck Tewksbury for the kind donation to us of one of Sam Belcher's hand made dice towers.

So, with the aforementioned 34 entrants into the main tournament (for a tournament ideally suited due to it's format for 16 people) this left us with a slight dilemma. We couldn't realistically add an additional round to the latter stages (although we did consider it) so Simon and I made the call to run two concurrent tournaments split along 'elite' and 'first line' lines. This felt right to us. Not only did it put the best 16 together, it also opened up the potential for a somewhat more balanced experience for those guys a little farther down the Crusaders Ladder.

For those who do not attend, the format is that we allocate four groups of four players (totally randomly drawn). Each of the four players in each group play in a round robin format to arrive at four group winners. Who then compete in a last four knockout game to the final. It seems to work. The randomness of the draw seems to be a hit (even if it throws up some real 'groups of death').

Due to the generosity of the earlier aforementioned sponsors, we were able this year to hand out prizes for the two separate tournament winners (an Ian Willey hand made diorama) plus a copy of Bounding Fire's Operation Neptune and runners up prizes of a small diorama plus a copy of Fight for Seoul or Green Hell of Inor. Tournament third and fourth player prizes were also handed out as well as group stage runners up prizes, Pick up n Go entrants, Treasure Hunt winners and runners up, and also a couple of randomly drawn prizes for all attendees and also Main Tourney attendees.

• Tournament 'Elite' Group Winners and Semi Finalists:
    • Ian Morris v Craig Benn
    • Toby Pilling v Martin Vicca
  • Finalists:
    • Toby Pilling v Ian Morris
  • Winner
    • IAN MORRIS
  • Tournament 'First Line' Group Winners and Semi Finalists:
    • David Blackwood v Peter Burberry
    • Paul Legg v Ian Pollard
  • Finalists:
    • Peter Burberry v Ian Pollard
  • Winner:
    • IAN POLLARD
A clean sweep for the two Ians. Especially pleasing for Ian P who won his first ever main tournament whilst playing his 200th Crusader Ladder game.

The scenarios we chose this year (which will all feature in up and coming Bounding Fire productions so keep an eye out for those) were Delaying Action at Krylanmaki plus Beauty Ruined from Mannerheim Cross estimated for release in early 2023. Amongst Coral, Coconuts and Kiwi plus Aggressive Response from Sangshak which is some distance off. And Stuck Ducks from Operation Neptune just recently released.

Finally we were able to release our first copy of 'Intensive Fire' our supporting magazine. I can attach a copy of this herewith for those who I may have missed passing a copy to (or indeed those just interested).
Intensive Fire.pdf

That's all folks. I hope those who attended had a great time and as a result of this, and Heroes '22 (just ended) have had appetites whetted for more later this year in June (Double One, Writtle, 23rd-26th June 2022) and November (Bounding First Fire '22, Blackpool, 17th-20th November 2022). You don't need me to tell you how important it is that people continue to support the UK ASL scene. When it's gone...it's gone...

And, also, please do what you can to support these great Third Party producers of quality items. They're fundamental to the vibrancy and colour of the hobby.

Thanks everyone and see you later in the year.

Best wishes

Martin

Last edited:

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks for another great tourny Martin. Sorry to hear about the dog - how did it get poisoned?

I should add that when I swept the room there was a fountain pen left which we handed over to the hotel lost property.

With Heroes somebody left a load of Raaco inserts next to Pete's desk in an M&S bag and clear plastic bag. Those are now with the hotel as well.

Looking forward to Nov 👍

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Thanks for another great tourny Martin. Sorry to hear about the dog - how did it get poisoned?

I should add that when I swept the room there was a fountain pen left which we handed over to the hotel lost property.

With Heroes somebody left a load of Raaco inserts next to Pete's desk in an M&S bag and clear plastic bag. Those are now with the hotel as well.

Looking forward to Nov 👍
Picked something up off the ground at the campsite we have our caravan. We suspect either poisoned meat (there's been a spate of it locally) or Canada Goose crap which has screwed her up. She's 15 and obviously therefore a bit flimsy so it doesn't take much to knock her sideways. This one was bad though...two nights on a drip at the dog hospital. We're very lucky though...my wife works at the dog hospital so she was well looked after.